Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old screaming half way through bottle feed

Options
  • 08-03-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Out of the blue the past few days my lo drinks half her bottle fine, I wind her and she burps fine then when it goes to giving her the second half she screams crying the minute the bottle goes near her mouth. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this?

Don't think it's wind as she burps okay after the first half. Also tried the next stage up teat as thought she might be getting frustrated and this didn't make a difference.

She has reflux and we are giving her Zantac but this seemed to have settled a lot of late do not sure if there is a connection here or not.

She's only 3 months (3 months tomorrow) and she's starting drooling with hands in mouth a lot so maybe it's early stage of teeth bothering her too

Doctor checked her mouth for thrush and she doesn't have any.

Not looking for medical advice just wondering if anyone has had similar experience? I hate seeing her in discomfort the poor little thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Could it be impatience? What happens with the remainder of the bottle? Does she settle and drink it or is she refusing it outright?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It could well be her gums are at her. I know our baby did a very similar thing, and probably as early as 3 months too. He used to scream when we tried to feed him a bottle. I was breastfeeding him mainly, but we used to give him a bottle at night and I remember him getting very upset. He hasn't had reflux or anything like that, so I'm pretty sure it was just his gums. I used to just give him some Teetha or if he was extremely bad, some calpol and he would calm down.

It passes, so hopefully she won't suffer for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Merkin wrote: »
    Could it be impatience? What happens with the remainder of the bottle? Does she settle and drink it or is she refusing it outright?

Refusing it, which is strange after just 2 oz. it's like she's hungry but squirming and crying at the same time. Very strange!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It could well be her gums are at her. I know our baby did a very similar thing, and probably as early as 3 months too. He used to scream when we tried to feed him a bottle. I was breastfeeding him mainly, but we used to give him a bottle at night and I remember him getting very upset. He hasn't had reflux or anything like that, so I'm pretty sure it was just his gums. I used to just give him some Teetha or if he was extremely bad, some calpol and he would calm down.

It passes, so hopefully she won't suffer for too long.

Thanks that's what I'm beginning to think now right with the sucking on her hands and drooling. Didn't think it was likely at this age but since it happened to you lo as well it might just be her teeth!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks that's what I'm beginning to think now right with the sucking on her hands and drooling. Didn't think it was likely at this age but since it happened to you lo as well it might just be her teeth!

The teething can start very early. It started with our fella pretty much around 3 months, and he's now 8 months, but no teeth yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How are her nappies ?
    It maybe reflux ,wind ,pain ,impatience ...
    I would mention it to the PHN .

Moonbeam wrote: »
    How are her nappies ?
    It maybe reflux ,wind ,pain ,impatience ...
    I would mention it to the PHN .

Nappies are okay usually one dirty nappy a day. We've her 3 month check in a few days with phn so I'll mention it then for sure. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Migglesworth

My daughter starting screaming and refusing her bottle after about 2.5 oz at around the same age. She would then be hungry again 2 hours later and then scream after another 2.5 oz. It was upsetting and frustrating. We went to the doctors numerous times and were given medication for reflux etc. After her weight continued to drop we were referred to a paediatrician who suggested cow's milk protein intolerance. He didn't test her for it but prescribed a CMP free formula (Neocate) and there was world of difference. She happily drank 8 ounces with no screaming. Her weight increased and by the time she was one we slowly reintroduced dairy and she was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Has she been weighed recently? The Zantac dosage goes by weight, so it may need to be adjusted as she gains?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

How long has she been on the Zantac OP?It should be adjusted as her weight increases and you should be getting a new bottle of it every 28 days or so because it does lose it's effect after that...we used to push it to about 30 days or so, and she would definitely become a lot more uncomfortable after that, so it was time for a new one.
    I don't know, I can't say I've had your problem before but if it continues, I'd take her to the GP.It could be any number of things, hard to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I've experienced this with reflux babies for sure. It's pain. Heart would be broken trying to get bottles in.

thanks all, its definitely a return of reflux. I say that as it seemed to have settled but has definitely made its appearance again. completely know what ye mean re constantly feeding as a result, she used to take bottles every four hours and now we seem to be constantly feeding in a bid to try get the bottles into her.

She was on roughly 30 oz in 24 hours but this has reduced now a lot which is concerning, however doc doesn't seem concerned yet as we were giving her the zantac at hoc before but now we are giving it every day. He said to bring her back in two weeks again to be weighed.

Poor things hate seeing them in pain!

Advertisement