Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indexing eTap Red

Options
  • 08-03-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

So, I got a new bike (wahoo) with eTap on it (wahoo again). Fitted the cassette (1190 [thanks, Eamonnator], which is all one piece, except for the very smallest 11-tooth sprocket, and the lockring).

Can I get it to shift smoothly? No.

I suspect that there may be a right way and a wrong way to fit that last sprocket...but (unlike Shimano) there isn't a 'guide' notch...all the notches for the freewheel are the same, and you can fit the sprocket half a dozen different ways. Anyone know better?

Of course, I've played at length with the micro-adjuster (function button plus paddle), but it's still not 100%...which, given the newness and price, is a pain.

Before I give up and take it down the LBS, anyone got any experience?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have Sram Red 22 on one of my bikes, manual not Etap.
    I have a Sram PG1190 cassette on it.
    There is only one way to fit the smallest sprocket correctly. It won't sit correctly, if not fitted properly. Cant help any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I built up my bike with Etap and it couldn't have been easier.
    I'm sure you've watched the installation videos on youtube.
    Just looked at my Sram XG-1190 cassette and the smallest cog has a clearly defined smaller notch compared to the rest. It will only go on one way.

I can throw up a picture of it if you want to compare it to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have etap too, but thanks to extralite I don't have (iirc) the same exaggerated small and large spline on the freehub body. I have to align the notches while sliding the whole cassette on. So in my case it is probably possible to misalign the small sprocket.

Like the tax man, I set up etap very simply and trimmed it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I built up my bike with Etap and it couldn't have been easier.
    I'm sure you've watched the installation videos on youtube.
    Just looked at my Sram XG-1190 cassette and the smallest cog has a clearly defined smaller notch compared to the rest. It will only go on one way.

I can throw up a picture of it if you want to compare it to yours.

Hi Tax man,

many thanks for taking the trouble to post a photo. While my smallest cog has a notch like that, the issue is that the freewheel does not - all the splines on the freewheel are the same width. But, like Idleater, I have extralite hubs, so that's probably the explanation for it fitting on any place. I'll take it apart again and have another look, hopefully this evening.

Here's the extralite freehub
    Extralite-Freilaufkoerper-Hyperrear.jpg

- note the uniform spline shape.

Here's the usual sram one - you can see the variations in spline width
    FW8840B.jpg

Lol, extralites! Post a picture when done, mine is around somewhere.

Just hold the cassette together "matched up" and slide on.

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    I have etap too, but thanks to extralite I don't have (iirc) the same exaggerated small and large spline on the freehub body. I have to align the notches while sliding the whole cassette on. So in my case it is probably possible to misalign the small sprocket.

Like the tax man, I set up etap very simply and trimmed it nicely.

Hi idleater,
    interesting - I got the extralites because you were vocal about them (no regrets, lovely), and now it turns out I'm copying your gruppo choices too.

Anyway, it sounds like I just need to take it apart, try the half dozen different possible positions for the sprocket, and test the shifting for each one. Wheel on, wheel off, wheel on, wheel off.... I was hoping there'd be some easier way.

I do see, tho, that the cassette also has a narrower notch - at bottom in this pic.....so if I just get them to line up....

sram_red_22_wifli_cassettes_-_sram.com_.jpg?itok=DhzwXgPJ

Idleater wrote: »
    Lol, extralites! Post a picture when done, mine is around somewhere.

Just hold the cassette together "matched up" and slide on.

Good thinking. Will try that - hopefully then there'll be no issue with clean shifting.

If you are anywhere dublinish and want a hand give a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

No problem brownian. I've never heard of those freehubs. Hope you get it sorted. It's a fantastic groupset once you're up and running.:)

So, I did what you two gentlemen suggested, and shifting does seem a fair bit smoother now, especially between smallest and second-smallest sprockets (in the kitchen...may not get out on the road before the weekend, sadly).

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement