Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R-Value

• 08-03-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

I hope I am in the right area. Does anyone know the r value for a prefab compared to a shipping container or where I could look it up. Everytime I google I get loads of insulation advice but no r values.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I would be worried about the r-value of steel!

What is the insulation type & thickness of the prefab?

May I ask what the plan is?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Had s​imilar worries about using steel raised them with engineer. His reply

Think about a kettle - cold when it has no energy but too hot when it's energised, steel inside an insulated envelope is neutral because its at ambient temperature similar to blockwork or concrete and will always be at inside air.

To further emphasis his point he asked are your door handles cold.

The steel in your standard shipping container will not be inside your insulation envelope

Lots of information on how to adapt shipping containers

http://www.treehugger.com/modular-design/house-built-shipping-containers-designed-denmark-assembled-china.html

Advertisement