Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnels underneath the city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

westgolf wrote:
    In what's now the car park. There is a memorial about 2/3 of the way across the car park as you go towards nuns island.

I thought that was just a memorial. Are you saying there's basically a graveyard there too? In the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Another interesting cemetery is represented by a little plaque as you walk the coastal path from blackrock along the golf course. It was the old unconsecrated cemetery for foreigners and other nerdowells.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

bobbyss wrote: »
    I thought that was just a memorial. Are you saying there's basically a graveyard there too? In the car park?

Twas a graveyard / burial place in the times of the jail. Probably not very structured like a lot of things of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

westgolf wrote: »
    Have you been down there in said tunnel ?

i had the opportunity to go down there a couple of years back,nothing exciting in it really, only reason i went down is because not too many can say they were down there

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Fascinating. Makes sense that there could be a tunnel between the old jail and the courthouse.

How far does the tunnel continue towards Fisheries Field? I heard somewhere years ago that there was a tunnel between the Cathedral and the basement of the NUIG Quad but don't know if there was any truth in it or why it would be there.

the tunnel running towards fisheries only goes as far as the cathedral boundary and then takes a left for a bit, it's not very long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

There is a tunnel entrance downstairs in the office in the Cellar Bar, it runs in two directions, one towards the court house and one down to de burgos. Its bricked up but not fully, you can look into it but even with a flash light its just pitch black. I covered some of the shifts for them on their staff nights out years ago when i worked in Cuba. It was creepy as fk cashing up in that office late at night when everyone had left the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I just heard that there is a tunnel between the Mercy convent and the national school
    Nuns were not allowed walk across the road which is why it was built 'an bealach seo faoin mbothar'. No longer used.

Anyone hear the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

The school used to use it to bring us to church. The tunnel is just near the traffic light. You can see the in the school yard where the roof light in the tunnel is. It's caged off now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

zell12 wrote: »
    I just heard that there is a tunnel between the Mercy convent and the national school
    Nuns were not allowed walk across the road which is why it was built 'an bealach seo faoin mbothar'. No longer used.

Anyone hear the same?

Probably true as there is one between the school in shantalla and Fort Eyre across the road, Apparently for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

yayaitsme wrote: »
    The school used to use it to bring us to church. The tunnel is just near the traffic light. You can see the in the school yard where the roof light in the tunnel is. It's caged off now I think
    Thanks for confirming. An 88 year old nun told me whilst describing her teaching days, first I heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

zell12 wrote: »

Anyone hear the same?

Must have been common back in the time, the church in Dingle has a tunnel linking it to the convent type building away to the right of it.....I walked it years ago pricing a job, flash lamp and I was bricking it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement