Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bananas cycling infrastructure ideas

Options
  • 08-03-2017 10:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭

in the grand tradition of thinking outside the box, as i was cycling home earlier i was trying to think of 'so bad they're good' ideas for cycling infrastructure, and had a brainwave. or else a brain fart.

cycle lanes in the middle of the road.

no more cars parking in cycle lanes. no more swipes from cars turning across you because they can't see you behind other traffic (i may not have thought that bit through). no more cycling in the s*** left in the gutter, or dealing with drain covers, puddles, and badly repaired potholes.
    also, you'll be cycling on the same side of the car as the driver sits. i'm *sure* that can only be a good thing.

who do i call who can make my dream a reality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Eh, cars overtaking might be an issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

overtaking cars need to move into the oncoming lane (assuming they're overtaking other cars). not an issue. cars overtaking just cyclists will essentially just undertake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It's not such a crazy idea :) I've often thought the same. In particular down the quays. No more busses pulling in across you, no more pedestrians stepping out in front of you! Of course it would never work here simply because of the lack of respect of other road users but in theory, in some places (probably city centres) it could be the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Put down the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In slow moving traffic I usually use the outside to overtake. Much safer seen what's coming towards you and less chance of getting caught inside a truck/ bus.

Is it every morning on the east link and then on Anglesea rd in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Raam wrote: »
    Put down the beers.
    i'm dipping into my wife's prosecco by now.

ted1 - it was actually on strand road northbound towards the east link today where the idea crossed my mind.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Car and bus problems could be solved by banning them....

Is it Friday already??

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Interesting concept. Its been done in the States and I think parts of Canada: https://bikeportland.org/2013/06/12/new-idea-for-foster-road-a-center-median-bike-lane-88227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

One of those viral videos of a headcam capturing a taxi cutting up the cyclist by performing an illegal U-turn unawares there was a cop car behind him was from the point of view of the cyclist on what looks like a centre lane bike lane from what I remember.

Edit, yes, here it is, impressive looking

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any other old farts read the thread title and think of this...

cfc2947b08f2fe3d0b895f6de41ca207.jpg

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Car and bus problems could be solved by banning them....

Is it Friday already??
    see if you can do worse! make edward de bono proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    One of those viral videos of a headcam capturing a taxi cutting up the cyclist by performing an illegal U-turn unawares there was a cop car behind him was from the point of view of the cyclist on what looks like a centre lane bike lane from what I remember.

Edit, yes, here it is, impressive looking

The best bit of that clip is the logo on the side of the Police car..."FBI Police"!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

in the grand tradition of thinking outside the box, as i was cycling home earlier i was trying to think of 'so bad they're good' ideas for cycling infrastructure, and had a brainwave. or else a brain fart.

...I too had one of those "so bad it's good" ideas for cyclists in cities...
    Bear with me on this... so, i thought if there were lanes, 1 story high, that basically allowed cyclists to move freely without having to interact with motorists or pedestrians there would be a lot less stress for everyone. The design would be a balcony style structure were one side of the lane would be attached to a building and the other would be propped up by steel columns. The lane would be the width of the pedestrian path below and be equipped with road marking and traffic lights. The lane would also act as a weather shelter for pedestrians below. Bridges would connect building and cyclists would have their own entrance to buildings on the first floor where possible. Bike racks/parking could be provided in wider areas. Dublin Bikes could relocate their stations to the lanes above ground.

How would they get up there you ask...well at certain points around the city (such as the canal or the quays) a long and gradual incline could raise them to the height of the city lanes. Other than that elevators could be dotted at certain points around the city...

Before you ask, I dont do drugs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Barcelona :

image5.jpg?resize=1063%2C778

Benidorm:

benidorms-hamburger-cycling-roundabout-source-josue-aran-garcia-twitter.jpg?itok=U5vFK4ZC

28 km cycle path in South Korea, which is to be in the middle of the road and covered with solar panels.

korea-bikelane.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

By gum, I'm a genius. A late to the party genius, but sure you've to take it when it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

There are centre of the road cycle lanes in Paris (although admittedly the roads are divided). I've also seen a roundabout in Barcelona with a cycle lane around the inside, and tram tracks running through the centre! I didn't get a chance to see that one in action with anything other than cars unfortunately.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If you view the quays as a dual carriageway, the Liffey Cycle Route will be effectively in the centre of the road (even if a good bit off the true centre, the river). It means avoiding all of the eastbound bus stops and reducing the number of conflicting turns (there's fewer rights off the north quays than lefts).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I thought this thread was going to be about ideas for cycling infrastructure for bananas. On behalf of bananas everywhere I have to express my disapproval and disappointment at this callous example of banana teasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

doozerie wrote: »
    I thought this thread was going to be about ideas for cycling infrastructure for bananas. On behalf of bananas everywhere I have to express my disapproval and disappointment at this callous example of banana teasing.

You mean like this thing that seems, against all odds, to not actually be a joke.

il_570xN.550040106_rbru.jpg

I mean it does seem expensive at over €50 but, while not optimal, you can use it to portage other fruits and/or vegetables. For example plantains, or perhaps cucumbers.

I don't think my thread is being treated with the seriousness it deserves.

• Advertisement

I don't think my thread is being treated with the seriousness it deserves.

You ignore the rights of bananas at your peril, you'll get no sympathy from me. Banana-ist!

@HivemindXXX, Ah heyor, that looks like a torture device for bananas. In fact, the banana in the photo already looks like it "walked into the seat tube".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Like an immature teenager, I am sitting here, sniggering, and muttering the words "Banana Hammock"

Advertisement