Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician or Handyman?

Options
  • 08-03-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm fairly useless at all DIY etc. Anyways, we've bought a light fitting way beyond my abilities to fit.

We're going to get somebody to do it but I'm not sure if I need an electrician or a handy man. So I guess my question is does an electrician have to legally do it? And any opinions on electrician vs. handyman for the job?

The picture of the fitting is attached. It will be held by string, not a chain and it'll involve moving the light fitting about half a foot as we'll need to hang the wood from a beam.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Technically and legally you should be using a registered contractor not just an electrician.

Cool light fitting by the way. Where did you get it?

Also electrician v handyman there's no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Cheers - I thought we needed "somebody" proper alright. I suppose a handyman might be cheaper but would prefer the peace of mind myself.

She got the fitting on Etsy.... just found this one. I'm fairly sure I'd never have agreed to that price so I guess there's a similar but cheaper one on it somewhere:

Etsy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Technically and legally you should be using a registered contractor not just an electrician.

Not true, there is no legal requirement in this case.

A competent person or non REC electrician can do the job as it is not considered a substantive works.

Nice fitting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Surely it's obvious that an Electrician would be much more suited to this job than a handyman.

Although legally for minor works a non-REC can do the job, I would certainly recommend that an REC is engaged for any electrical work.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Surely it's obvious that an Electrician would be much more suited to this job than a handyman.

Depends who you talk too.... I suppose that's half the problem.

• Advertisement

Seanie_H wrote: »
    She got the fitting on Etsy.... just found this one. I'm fairly sure I'd never have agreed to that price so I guess there's a similar but cheaper one on it somewhere:

Etsy

I think at that price it would be an interesting make and do project ;)
    Steve wrote: »
    A competent person or non REC electrician can do the job as it is not considered a substantive works.

I hate when people spout this ****e. What is you idea of an electrically competent person I bet it will differ from person to person with some seeing budget as priority over safety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Risteard81 wrote: »

Although legally for minor works a non-REC can do the job, I would certainly recommend that an REC is engaged for any electrical work.

Of course it would be better. Just as it would be better to have a plumber change a washer in a leaky tap but it's lot a legal requirement nor is it outside the scope of a competent DIY person. Hence my answer.

Sure competent :rolleyes:

DIYDIE_electrical-1-600x314.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Nice fitting something different, didn't expect that price tho. It looks decent quality too, Unlike the small strip connectors/crap you get from the like of b&q if so I'd proceed to choke it ha.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I hate when people spout this ****e. What is you idea of an electrically competent person I bet it will differ from person to person with some seeing budget as priority over safety.

I've nearly 30 years experience in industrial control systems, panel building, industrial and commercial installations, 2000 amp distribution boards, have witnessed electrical fires, people killed because they did not take proper precautions working live, and expensive plant destroyed because because eejits bypassed critical safety systems. I can build and certify million euro machinery, robotics, inverters, PLC systems etc.. So I would consider myself competent.

I am not however permitted to install a new socket outlet in a house, that would be way too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

iwillhtfu wrote:

Unfortunately the law is super vague on who is competent.
    A handyman claims to be able to master plumbing, electrical, tiling, plastering, carpentering etc. It took me 4 years to qualify as a plumber back in the day. My personal belief is that a handyman should stay away from electrics. I've seen too many using connection blocks wrapped up in insulation tape. I actually saw an attic go on fire because of this.
    For me I believe that you need an electrician for this. Not necessarily an REC but an electrician non the less

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

An electrician is not needed for minor works which this would come under. Minor works include changing light fittings ,changing faceplates (switches,sockets etc.)and adding 1 additional socket to a radial circuit.These are facts,if people are looking for advice surely we should give them the facts 1st and then your opinion after that.i totally agree that an electrician would be better suited 95% of the time but I also know qualified electricians who wouldn't hold a candle to some handymen/labourers i know so don't just presume an electrician is automatically the better option just cause they have papers.Also I redid the qc course a couple of weeks ago as mine was expired and the instructor informed us that safe electrics current add campaign is actually false as they claim you need a registered contractor to do all electrical work and even show a man changing a light fitting which is not necessary.

I've nearly 30 years experience in industrial control systems, panel building, industrial and commercial installations, 2000 amp distribution boards, have witnessed electrical fires, people killed because they did not take proper precautions working live, and expensive plant destroyed because because eejits bypassed critical safety systems. I can build and certify million euro machinery, robotics, inverters, PLC systems etc.. So I would consider myself competent.

I am not however permitted to install a new socket outlet in a house, that would be way too dangerous.

Well would you look at that how do you get through doors with a head so big.

Interestingly I have a very similar experience to yourself I could tick pretty much every item listed but the one thing i notice is you don't mention qualifications or that you're actually a qualified electrician.

Plenty of families lives lost due to electrical fires in homes and to be honest your reply speaks volumes on what some deem competent.

Anyway op good luck with the light. :)

An electrician is not needed for minor works which this would come under. Minor works include changing light fittings ,changing faceplates (switches,sockets etc.)and adding 1 additional socket to a radial circuit.These are facts,if people are looking for advice surely we should give them the facts 1st and then your opinion after that.i totally agree that an electrician would be better suited 95% of the time but I also know qualified electricians who wouldn't hold a candle to some handymen/labourers i know so don't just presume an electrician is automatically the better option just cause they have papers.Also I redid the qc course a couple of weeks ago as mine was expired and the instructor informed us that safe electrics current add campaign is actually false as they claim you need a registered contractor to do all electrical work and even show a man changing a light fitting which is not necessary.

OP mentions having to move the light in this instance is it not fair to assume that this would involve more than replacing a light fitting?

Perhaps an alteration to a lighting circuit is outside the scope of minor works?

Point being why hire a handyman when the work might be beyond his capabilities.

For the number of skilled handymen you know I guarantee there would be 100 cowboys who similarly think themselves qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Citroen2cv

That is very expensive for a light fitting, that is just a plank of wood with a few bulbs hanging out of it.
    That could be made for 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Citroen2cv wrote:
    That is very expensive for a light fitting, that is just a plank of wood with a few bulbs hanging out of it. That could be made for 50 euro.

Paul Costello sells a plank of wood in his Dunnes Stores collection for 60 euro. Just the wood. No lights with it.
    This light seems reasonably priced by comparing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Cheers - I thought we needed "somebody" proper alright. I suppose a handyman might be cheaper but would prefer the peace of mind myself.

Etsy

Wow! and that price doesn't include the bulbs, probably at least another 100 for 18 antique style bulbs also how much power does it use

Thanks for all the feedback lads. So what I'm gathering is that legally it could be considered a minor job and therefore I don't need a REC but should use an electrician at least.

PS - if you're any way handy, build it - stick it up on Etsy at 500% the cost and you'll be sorted. I've been told we paid "only" 35% the price of that link I posted - bulbs included. In fairness, it looks pretty good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for all the feedback lads. So what I'm gathering is that legally it could be considered a minor job and therefore I don't need a REC but should use an electrician at least.

In a nutshell :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

On the flip side:

I work with many very experienced, highly qualified, talented engineers on multimillion euro high profile projects in Ireland and abroad.
    Having said that I wouldn't trust many of them to fit a plug, in fact one of them (electrical lead and chartered for over 10 years) rang me for advice because she was replacing a pendant light!
    It is possible to be an outstanding engineer (which she is) but not have the hands "to bless yourself".
    I'm a time served industrial electrician with an electrical engineering degree.
    I have plenty of experience in both roles so I know what I'm taking about.
    Electricians and engineers bring very different and equally essential skills to the party.
    I was never shown how to terminate cables when I did my degree, nor should I have been.

Edit: I have no doubt that you could safely install a socket (besides it is minor works so you are permitted) :)

• Advertisement

^^ very true

My qualification is in engineering, I've always been hands on though. My first job was with a panel builder and the owner told me the only way I'd ever get good at designing panels was if I knew how to build and install them. He was right. I spent many years on the shop floor and on site learning the hard way.
    I've terminated my share of 240sq's.

After that and since I worked for machine builders building panels, wiring machines and programming them.

@ Steve: PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

PS - if you're any way handy, build it - stick it up on Etsy at 500% the cost and you'll be sorted. I've been told we paid "only" 35% the price of that link I posted - bulbs included. In fairness, it looks pretty good.

Ha! My other half is always telling me stuff she bought only cost a fraction of what she really paid for it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

ellobee wrote: »
    Ha! My other half is always telling me stuff she bought only cost a fraction of what she really paid for it.:D

This is the truth Op.
    Also on an unrelated note I think it's great that Penny's are now stocking authentic Jimmy Choo shoes and selling them for about a tenth of the price of BT.

Advertisement