Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats a good Ex HDD for the ps4

Options
  • 08-03-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

now that the ps4 is getting the ext HDD update tomorrow what's a good one to buy I'm looking for the 3tb range

is there issues with gameplay? like slowdowns or graphics not loading with external HDDS?

I wanna install all my discs onto this :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

You know that you'll still have to load the disc into the slot to play each game?

I'd say any self powere USB 3.0 drive would be fine.

Majority of us on Xbox use the seagate ones from Argos http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=2489935&authToken= Likely available cheaper online but I've used those on my media center and xbox for 2-3 years now without issue. If they died tomorrow I'd buy them again. Reason I favor them is they need no external power. They get their juice via usb.

All that is without knowing what if any issues PS4 may have with externals. Though I believe it's been beta tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Yep,for the last month i believe..I imagine if there were any issues (at least in the short term) we'd have heard about them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Senecio wrote: »
    You know that you'll still have to load the disc into the slot to play each game?

yes but it will still be handy to keep everything installed and patched upto date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Ever heard of downloads? I only have 6 games on disc, and about 220 digital, so what's a slot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Ever heard of downloads? I only have 6 games on disc, and about 220 digital, so what's a slot?

Yes I've heard of downloads but the OP mentioned loading discs onto the external HDD. I've gone exclusively digital with this generation so I have 2TB in my Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Yes I've heard of downloads but the OP mentioned loading discs onto the external HDD. I've gone exclusively digital with this generation so I have 2TB in my Pro.

Lol sorry working late last night. Same here with 2tb in my pro also lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm looking at this one, but i'm not too sure if it would be good or not. Pretty cheap for 4TB though

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/seagate-expansion-portbl-hard-drive-4-tb-black/334767/402.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I wouldn't mind going all digital but the prices are crazy IMO

50euros for horizon zero dawn
    40 for watchdogs 2
    40 for gears 4
    all those prices from ordering from the UK the difference is crazy

biggebruv wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind going all digital but the prices are crazy IMO

50euros for horizon zero dawn
    40 for watchdogs 2
    40 for gears 4
    all those prices from ordering from the UK the difference is crazy

Get a US or Canadian account set up. Much cheaper. You can get digital psn credit on amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I was going to go with this one. Up to 8TB and front facing USB ports.

Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4 TB USB 3.0 Desktop

Has the software upgrade been officially announced as dropping tomorrow?

Also has it been clarified if the HD needs it's own power supply or can it be powered by the PS4 via USB?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Rolled out today.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Rolled out today.

Thanks,

Just found the announcement.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/08/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-is-out-tomorrow-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

This bit is a little worrying:

"There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system."

Might be worth holding off for a week or two to find out which particular HDs are not playing nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Also has it been clarified if the HD needs it's own power supply or can it be powered by the PS4 via USB?

The update is already available?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I will need to pick up a decent quality USB 3.0 hub as I use the two existing ports one for my Astro headset mix amp and the second for my mk2 controller for wired gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

i heard external hard drives with usb hubs don't work due to copy protections, not sure if that's official

i heard external hard drives with usb hubs don't work due to copy protections, not sure if that's official
    Might be true but I would just use the hub for the headset and controller and use the other for the hard drive

I will need to pick up a decent quality USB 3.0 hub as I use the two existing ports one for my Astro headset mix amp and the second for my mk2 controller for wired gameplay.

Wait doesn't a ps4 have a port on the back too :confused:

Unless the older ones only have 2?

EDIT: Wait the one on the back is an AUX port isn't it.

Wait doesn't a ps4 have a port on the back too :confused:

Unless the older ones only have 2?

EDIT: Wait the one on the back is an AUX port isn't it.

No the PS4 Pro does alright but I have just the standard at the moment

The update is already available?

Yep, just checked, my PS4 has updated itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone know does Tesco have any good hard drives available?... Or would Argos be the best as Argos is an hour away compared to 15mins for Tesco..

It dropped yesterday. I'm using a USB powered HD. The PS4 will format the hard drive for use, so be sure to back up, if using a HD with files already on it!

Anyone who has transferred games to the external drive notice any difference when playing a game off the drive? I would be interested in loadtimes for games levels etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bought a Toshiba Canvio Portable 1TB Hard Drive yesterday from Currys for €69.99 Working like a charm so far. You might be well advised to ring ahead to Harvey Normans if you want a HD from there - I went yesterday and they had 2 desktop HDs in the whole store.

Advertisement