Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plug in hybrid and charging issues

• 08-03-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Was speaking to a new colleague who owns a plug in hybrid and he tells me that he regularly gets snotty notes left on his car when plugged into Type 2 on street chargers particularly at a certain shopping centre. Seems to be a bit harsh, The charging infratructure is for everyone and he is not and ICEing a spot - he is charging.
    I was held up for 35 mins at a fast charge by a plugin hybrid which was frustrating at the time but I would never hassle another driver even though I though they should of been more considerate.
    The type 2 are a different story they are for plugging in and walking away.
    I'm interested in what others think, is he right to charge or are the other BEVs right that he is hogging a charger which they need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

If it's blanchardstown your colleague may be blocking one of the two spaces for the rapid charger which is shared with the Level 2 chargepoint.

If he's blocking either of those spaces he could be blocking it for some of the rapid charger users (like the i3 and Ioniq) who have the socket on the side of the car. I've left notes, just to ask people to avoid doing that if possible.

There have also been issues with plug-in hybrids mistaking the type 2 plug on a rapid charger for something they should be using. This is a particular issue with the DBTs where if the AC is in use the DC cannot be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

cros13 wrote: »
    If it's blanchardstown your colleague may be blocking one of the two spaces for the rapid charger which is shared with the Level 2 chargepoint.

If he's blocking either of those spaces he could be blocking it for so me of the rapid charger users (like the i3 and Ioniq) who have the socket on the side of the car. I've left notes, just to ask people to avoid doing that if possible.

There have also been issues with plug-in hybrids mistaking the type 2 plug on a rapid charger for something they should be using. This is a particular issue with the DBTs where if the AC is in use the DC cannot be used.

I wasn't blanch, and it is only at type 2 chargers. There are no fast chargers there. He told me it has happened 3 times and one of the notes was quite abusive.
    Every one has the same rights to access chargers and once he move the car when charges there should be no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

The sooner they bring in a decent charging infrastructure the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is the colleague you ? :)

listermint wrote: »
    Is the colleague you ? :)

Lol no I'm a purest, full EV! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Fastpud wrote: »
    Lol no I'm a purest, full EV! :)

I think the issue is some owners of plug ins are using the chargers for way longer than necessary. Of course there are full ev owners doing the same thing but it's easier to give out about the plug ins because they don't really need the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭homer911

There is a PHEV owner constantly taking over one of the two slow chargers in Dundrum Town Centre, and parking there for a time which way exceeds the time needed to charge. When a PHEV is clearly not reliant on charging to reach their destination, this can be extremely frustrating for pure EVs (I don't know if this is the location referred to and my knowledge is second hand from the wife!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Fastpud wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit harsh, The charging infratructure is for everyone and he is not and ICEing a spot - he is charging.
    I doubt very much that the Charging Infrastructure was built with Hybrids in mind - more-so pure BEV's. That hybrids are allowed onto the network was an afterthought.

Secondly, PHEV owners don't have to deal with the same stresses and anxieties with regard to charging as pure EV owners. Is it not enough that he charges at home - having the PHEV fully charged each morning?...and potentially the same at work?

In all good conscience, does a PHEV owner want to block up the system knowing that they may be depriving a BEV owner from getting home - when they suffer no such stresses themselves?

Yes, PHEV's (currently) have the right to access the charging network. However, I would suggest that there's a moral and ethical standard to be adhered to also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Agree 100% that PHEVs make full use of destination chargers. I want as many miles to be tailpipe emission free as possible.
    I think it is extremely poor form for BEV drivers to be giving out about this. I also think charges for charging need to be brought in ASAP. This will in my opinion dramatically free up availability.

For me I won't be considering PHEV. It will be BEV for me when I change but I understand why PHEV can be vehicle of choice for many. I won't be changing from diesel till there are charges in place for public charging because only then the people using them will be the ones who actually need them and this will maximise the possibility of a charger being available when I need it. To me the current situation is ridiculous where it's cheaper (free if parking is free) to use the public infrastructure whereas it costs at home. Of course in this current situation many people are going to maximise their time using the public infrastructure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I agree that the infrastructure is there for everybody to use and I have no right to ask anyone in front of me to move. My opinion is first come first served. I do think a hybrid should be entitled to their share of the charge point but I would hope that manners would allow the hybrid owner to say to the EV owner "go ahead there, in only topping up".

But I do put a note on my dash which I've printed telling people to unplug me if an emergency or if I'm at 80% so they can use themselves and my phone number.

Hopefully when I eventually get a home point I'll ignore the public system and just charge every second day at home over night.

One example is my job, the Bmw e330 owner. I'm not sure how long he needs but many days he could be plugged in all day and thus nobody else can use the charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As with all things in life, expecting moral and ethical standards from people doesn't work. PHEV owners are entitled to free public charging and that's the end of it. Don't blame them!

Obviously PHEV blocking BEV that rely on a charge is a policy failure, which needs to be rectified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What make/model is the car OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have a PHEV (Prius Plug-in) and haven't had any trouble using public chargers. However, I'm not in Dublin :)

I don't use FCPs as there is little benefit to fully charging the battery and motorway driving for me (EV mode speed limit is 85 km/h). I tried one of the FCPs on the M1 once and it didn't work anyway. The only PHEV with DC "fast" charging is the Outlander, IIRC.

Using the AC port on fast chargers when your PHEV doesn't have fast AC should be discouraged IMO.

I've given up looking for charging points in Cork city on Saturdays though, as there is usually high utilisation.

This issue is that there are not enough chargers available in busy spots, if there was enough then no one would be complaining about the phevs
    Given that eCars have no plans to add more chargers this is only going to get worse. Fixed number of chargers and an ever increasing number of EV !

n97 mini wrote: »
    What make/model is the car OP?

Outlander I think

Advertisement