Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty microwave after 15 months

• 08-03-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

bought microwave January '16, it went faulty last week - rang Power City but just the usual guff as its out of warranty nothing they can do. Just wondering what are my consumer rights here ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Tell powercity you will get on to joe tomorrow, no one likes being talked about in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Don't know if it's any use but look up European Directive 1999/44/EC,

I bought a Macbook, few months after the 1 year warranty the screen failed.

They told me it was out of warranty and would cost 400-500 quid. No chance.

Got it fixed for free by the retailer due to the above directive.

If you buy something like a fridge, You should expect it to last so many years, If it fails after 1 year or 2 years then you can claim a repair or replacement free of charge for up to 6 years. Not 100% but something like that. Have a read up.

Not too sure what the deal is with microwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,450 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's no use as it doesn't apply in Ireland. We have stronger consumer rights as it stands.

You have up to 6 years to take a case rather than an explicit guarantee for that time. In this case I'd expect a repair or replacement assuming there isn't obvious misuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tell powercity you will get on to joe tomorrow, no one likes being talked about in public.

I personally wouldn't go this route, it will just rile people.

Under Irish Consumer Law, you are entitled to expect a product to last a reasonable lifetime, assuming no mistreatment or misuse of the product on your part. One year is clearly not enough for a microwave.

Ring/visit the store (in person is always better if you can) and state that you would like a repair / replacement or refund as per your rights under Consumer Law. Warranties do not come into this, so if they mention warranty again, remind them that you are invoking your consumer rights.

Should they fail to be helpful, write a registered letter to the store manager and to HQ informing them of the situation, the steps you have taken to resolve it and let them know that you will proceed with Small Claims Court case in XX working days, unless the matter is resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

If I hear someone screaming at a retail sales assistant I automatically think that person is a c u next tue and hope the retailer doesn't acknowledge them. Raise your voice, you loose the battle

you said make as much noise as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

dudara wrote: »
    Under Irish Consumer Law, you are entitled to expect a product to last a reasonable lifetime, assuming no mistreatment or misuse of the product on your part. One year is clearly not enough for a microwave.

"reasonable" is the key here and as far as I know price is factored into this. Most expensive microwave I could find with a quick look was €995. If that broke after 2-3 years I'd still be down looking for repair/replacement/refund. But even if you bought the cheapest going (€55 from what I can see) I think you'd be reasonable to expect that it'd last more than 15 months. Nobody resonably expects to have to replace their microwave every 15 months.

So I'd advise, as above,
    1. Go down there, calmly but firmly state your case
    2. Assmuing that does not work send them a letter, registered post, same details
    3. Assumung that does not work, with your history of correspondance, head for the small claims court

• Advertisement

I agree with this, misunderstanding

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

The op should find out what is wrong with it. If its a manufacturing fault, look for repair or replacement.

But if it went due to power surge or other non manufacturer issue, not their problem.

Did you check the fuse? - Years ago I worked in mckennas (yep, I'm that old), quite amazing how many people came back with "faulty" products that required a simple fuse.

Advertisement