Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Lidl reminder

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

call me a nitpicker, but the 'WAS €12.99 NOW €9.99' really gets on my wick. they haven't had that stuff on sale in the last few months, unless i'm mistaken.

anyway, yeah, a tenner for a top for commuting. can't go wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Time for some new socks. Oh baby.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Brian? wrote: »
    Time for some new socks. Oh baby.

Funny, looking at the gear and having bought much of it over the years, the socks are the bit I'd go back for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I like the base layers too.

Last time I looked at them, the helmets were reasonable light as a commuting option too, if someone needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Fab. Need new gloves. They don't have glasses listed as an option, anyone know if they just didn't have them in the catalogue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

sullivlo wrote: »
    Fab. Need new gloves. They don't have glasses listed as an option, anyone know if they just didn't have them in the catalogue?

They had tons of gloves in my local lidl, what they didn't have that was in the brochure (and the sole reason I went in this morning) was women's long or 3/4 length leggings :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hate the colours lidl use for their cycling gear, horrible greens blues and yellows. Why not stick with the tried and trusted black red and white!

Also I find their socks shrink very quickly and aren't as good as Aldi's.

Aldi's gloves are also better quality and wear better than lidls.

I haven't bought lidl gear in years and won't be this year either. It's a very poor runner up in comparison to Aldi's offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I see they have sealant spray cans available as well.  I just purchased one recently (from another shop) and I was dying to use it (couldn't wait until I got a puncture).  Then I changed tack and put sealant into my tubes after seeing a video on the internet.  Either way, I was hoping to put an end to having to take off the wheel and trying to get the tyre off in the pi55ing rain, while the rest of my club males looked over my shoulder wondering what was keeping me.
    For €2.79 I reckon they are worth a punt!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Recently back cycling, nothing major

Cycle helmet 12,local shop cheapest was 50, then a few other bits

48 on a good few bits versus 50 on a helmet

If people miss out, sportsworld do some cycling stuff that's a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Picked up the large pump with gauge as i only have a mini one in the saddle bag. Great piece of kit and hit 110PSI from 60 in only 3 pumps.

Picked up all the cleaning products apart from the chain oil as i wouldn't use that for my lubrication. Took them for a test run and they work better than the big brand name stuff i have got from CRC.

Sizing guide for the jerseys. I'm 6 foot 81Kg and a medium is plenty big. Hope that helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the built in light on the kids helmets is a brilliant idea, seems to be unique to the Lidl helmets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Hayden Pennyfeather

Has anyone bought the Crivit softshell jacket? What's the quality like? It says it's water resistant, not water proof - same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

bigkocman wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the Crivit softshell jacket? What's the quality like? It says it's water resistant, not water proof - same thing?

I bought one a few years ago ... "Boil in the Bag Rice" springs to mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I hate the colours lidl use for their cycling gear, horrible greens blues and yellows. Why not stick with the tried and trusted black red and white!

Also I find their socks shrink very quickly and aren't as good as Aldi's.

Aldi's gloves are also better quality and wear better than lidls.

I haven't bought lidl gear in years and won't be this year either. It's a very poor runner up in comparison to Aldi's offerings.

After seeing someone knocked off their bike yesterday in Dundalk, dressed head-to-toe in black, a bit of garish colour might help people get noticed. Thinking more Astana or Tinkoff than Team Sky :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

youtheman wrote: »
    I see they have sealant spray cans available as well.  I just purchased one recently (from another shop) and I was dying to use it (couldn't wait until I got a puncture).  Then I changed tack and put sealant into my tubes after seeing a video on the internet.  Either way, I was hoping to put an end to having to take off the wheel and trying to get the tyre off in the pi55ing rain, while the rest of my club males looked over my shoulder wondering what was keeping me.
    For €2.79 I reckon they are worth a punt!.

You could try this now . I've gone tubeless on 1 of my bikes .

https://youtu.be/LOi4czjB1No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

bigkocman wrote: »

Nope, it would probably keep the rain out in a very light shower but would seep through eventually if you're out for a while or in a heavy downpour.

I bought the cleaning stuff and the sealant spray. Will have to source the leggings elsewhere as the only ones they have in town are summer which I already have. Why are the so damn expensive everywhere else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Got myself the work stand this morning and the obligatory pair of socks, delighted with the stand, seems really good quality... no more killing my back bending over fixing upper and lower limit screws...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Got one of the Bike computers for €6.

3 year warranty so can't go wrong for that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

loyatemu wrote: »
    the built in light on the kids helmets is a brilliant idea, seems to be unique to the Lidl helmets too.

Grand as an extra light, but no replacement for a decent back light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

smacl wrote: »
    Grand as an extra light, but no replacement for a decent back light.

E5 in tiger for 2 lights that have a rubber catch so you can easily put on/take off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

mrcheez wrote: »
    Got one of the Bike computers for €6.

3 year warranty so can't go wrong for that!

Picked one up as well. Dunno if it'll last part the first downpour though, but at €6 you can't go too far wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Got myself the work stand this morning and the obligatory pair of socks, delighted with the stand, seems really good quality... no more killing my back bending over fixing upper and lower limit screws...
    Got one myself. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it seems much heavier and sturdier than I was expecting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Anyone know if all the have is the schraeder (American) nozzeled tubes. Or do they have other tube types. Was in Cork st one late today. Grabbed the last 26 tube there but to my disappointment when I got home to fit it to my currently punctured bike it was incorrect nozel type

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

I have only seen 26# tubes with Schrader valves.

I picked up the work stand and I am pleasantly surprised how sturdy it seems to be. Time will tell but I reckon I can't have done much wrong for 30 euros.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got one a year or two ago. for €30, it's a hell of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Finally managed to get one of the workstands, have missed out one the last few times they had them on sale for one reason or another.

Have not had a chance to have a proper look at it.

No doubting that when i do it will be shortly followed by a post on here on how to fix a totally ruined bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got one myself. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it seems much heavier and sturdier than I was expecting. :)

They're fantastic stands.

I don't have a shed and got fed up taking the stand in and out of the garden, figuring it only cost €30 if it rotted I wasn't concerned.. Well its been in the garden a few years now and still as good and sturdy as new.

Only used it last weekend

411466.jpg

The bikes are kept warm & dry in my kitchen extention :)

***Just a late edit.. I'd recommend using tissue or a light towel between the clamp and your frame, you'll see in the photo I just use kitchen roll. The clamps are soft plastic but they did leave marks on one of my bikes frames.

i only ever clamp it on the seatpost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

i only ever clamp it on the seatpost.

The photo doesn't show the bike behind, my hybrid but both seat posts are used up with lights and bags.

I have used it on the seat post, but I think I found a better point of balance on the top tube too.

Either way they're a great purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

I use a piece of pipe insulation when using clamp on crossbar, works a treat. When finished put the insulation on the stand upright.
    Brought a soft shell top back today, the large is too large. Medium too small. Found the Aldi soft-shell jersey a much better fit, just waiting for them to come on sake again.

Advertisement