Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone routers? Disable remote access login for vodafone

Options
  • 09-03-2017 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is possible - thanks.

Perhaps I should look at using a different router manufacturer altogether actually. Not sure about the software being secure on these huawei routers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

euser1984 wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is possible - thanks.

Perhaps I should look at using a different router manufacturer altogether actually. Not sure about the software being secure on these huawei routers.

Thanks.

I doubt it.
    They have some backdoor/root access to connect to it.
    Vodafone support were able to change the admin password on my router after a hard reset remotely while on a support call with them.

But you could probably just use it as a cable modem, disable the router function, and plugin your own router to it. (bridging)
    Then you would have full control at least over your own router.

Looks like someone did this here

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinhole Management is done over TR068 or TR069. If you turn that option off (think the HGs have it) the modem stops listening to the management gateway. Note: Firmware updates will stop auto installing.

The more worrying part is the Chinese govt most certainly has access if they want it. But they also provide the rest of the access stack so if you're worried about state actors you're already f'cked.

Advertisement