Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread closed due to "Ongoing court case"

Options
  • 09-03-2017 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Browsing in After Hours I noticed that this thread was closed due to it being about an "ongoing court case".

Since the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution permits reporting and discussion of ongoing court cases on free speech grounds it seems a little strange that an Irish site would prohibit discussion due to it being sub judice when no such restriction exists in the U.S. itself.

I have no interest in the thread topic but the reason for closing it seems illogical. I noticed that the OP was banned so there may be something else at play but the stated reason makes no sense.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads referring to ongoing Irish court cases are automatically closed because there are potential issues with contempt of court, however given that this trial appears to be in the States I agree that it does seem a bit strange that it was closed. Perhaps the mod didn't take the country into account ad closed it by mistake. I'll mention it in the AH mods' forum and point them to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The usual thing we do when a rereg troll starts a thread is to delete the thread. That has been done now.

Advertisement