Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General purpose PC for CompSci student, c. €750

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Boglander wrote: »
    I didn't read anything in those advertorials that contradict my assertion, unless one genuinely believes that Microsoft care more about its users' security than their bottom line. And there's really nothing concrete about where this increased security comes from, just repeated assertions that its there; smells very much like fear-mongering to me. I doubt W7 would suddenly become less secure to careful users, if it were not deliberately made so by lack of support.

The fact is that the current generation of CPUs are entirely backwards compatible with the earlier iterations that W7 is capable of running on - it's still x86 architecture and the driver model is much the same between both versions of the OS. The only issue is that some features of the new chips cannot be supported by W7, but I've yet to come across mention of any that I'd care about, and certainly none that outweigh the annoyances of W10 I've mentioned above, not to mention the irritation MS's strong-arm tactics cause in me.

advertorials seriously?

Yes Microsoft are a commercial entity and as such can not be expected to
    pump valuable resources into software which is four generations behind and 10 years old yes its a great OS but the world advances and Microsoft as a business wants to make money. as as such have begun a process to streamline its OS lineup.

the processor support deadline isn't news the blog post from Microsoft was posted over a year ago plenty of opportunity for people to get ready and still have over a year too

the majority of people I deal with have almost zero issue with windows 10
    unless there is some specific software requirement every pc that I install is windows 10 for at least the last 6 months there's practically zero reason
    and average person should not be using windows 10

in fact for a home user windows 10 is ideal as it auto updates
    as many windows 7 home machines are never updated until they reach some form of computer repair shop and even then its rarely done.

the pro/enterprise version of windows 10 allows management of updates which may be required.

No I don't work for Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Windows 10 is fine apart from the massive amount of built in spyware which can be largely removed. If you are ok with Microsoft having access to everything you view and say online, your emails, all of your files and work data, as well as the ability to record from your microphone or webcam then sure it's ok. They are no doubt sharing this information with US "intelligence" agencies as well which breaches data protection but they don't care about laws.

You sign away most of your rights when you agree to using the software. They should have called it Windows 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Eh, i also use Gmail, Facebook and LinkedIn.

Handiness beats security concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Eh, i also use Gmail, Facebook and LinkedIn.

Handiness beats security concerns.

They only have access to what you do and say on their sites. Microsoft have access to everything you do and say on your PC as well as the ability to control your hardware and record information from your cams and mics. A big difference and a worrying trend that should not be tolerated.

You can get a crack or a cracked version that removes most of the offending spyware but I'm sure there's still back door access in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Boglander

dunworth1 wrote: »
    advertorials seriously?

Well one is a PR release from Microsoft and the other is a puff-piece that does little else but parrot it - so I suppose technically only the latter counts as an advertorial, while the other is more properly described as an advertisement.
    Yes Microsoft are a commercial entity and as such can not be expected to
    pump valuable resources into software which is four generations behind and 10 years old yes its a great OS but the world advances and Microsoft as a business wants to make money. as as such have begun a process to streamline its OS lineup.

Hold on - I said their only reason for blocking users from getting updates for W7 was commercial, you point me at a couple of links in direct response, and when I reply you agree that it's for commercial reasons? Why point me at those links then?
    in fact for a home user windows 10 is ideal as it auto updates

Oh come on - I'm not going to "have a read" you as I'm sure you're well able to use google yourself to find some of the multitude of articles and forum posts out there detailing the (often system-breaking) problems this 'feature' has caused people since the inception of W10.
    No I don't work for Microsoft

Then why are you going out of your way to argue with me? If I want to stick with W7 for my MS OS usage because I don't like W10 (for the reasons Bloodbath outlines above on top of those I've stated), that's my business. If I want to bitch about MS trying to force me to switch to W10 because they want to monetise my personal home computer usage, or using home users as guinea pigs for their half-assed updates, that's my prerogative. Why do you care if I don't like or want to use W10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I thought this was off-topic for a second.

Advertisement