Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Refund problems, getting refunded 300 less than I'm supposed to.

Options
  • 09-03-2017 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all!

A bit annoyed as I've waited 3 months for this to get sorted and Ive only been refunded a tenth of what I've paid in tax.

Basically I worked at a Tesco for a 7 days spread over 2 weeks (xmas seasonal work). I assume because they didn't have my PPS number, I was emergency taxed. I received 2 small and 1 larger payment based on the hours I worked (the last payment was made after the xmas holidays, however that works) so I received a total net payment of about half of the gross pay I was owed based on the 59 hours I worked. Working it out I've been deducted about 335 in tax, most of that I assume is emergency.

Got my P45 off them after a month and the numbers looked odd on it. (Stupidly) thinking it was nothing and assuming Revenue would know the full story from Tesco themselves with what I was paid and what I'm owed I sent it off with the P50 filled out. 2 months later I get a refund of 33 euro.

Now, I know nothing about P45's or what the numbers on it mean but it was saying I was paid 153 gross pay for PAYE and the same under USC with deductions being about 20 for tax and 12 for USC. On the P21 statement I got today, it said my income was 260 and deductions were 127. None of this adds up. Even on the one payslip I got from Tesco (they didnt give me the two others) It said I was being taxed around 199.

I'm just confused as to what's happened and what do I do. Is it a problem on Tesco's end? Or Revenue's? Or mine? I'm sorry if I seem like such a novice, googling this gave me no results bar the revenue.ie spiel which may as well be ancient Greek! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Did you have any other income for the year?

You worked for 7 days over two weeks but were paid 3 times?

As you did not give them your PPSN they deducted 40% Income Tax and 8% USC.

Do you have access to your PAYE Anytime account.

Was your last payment in 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm going to guess and say you worked in Tresco in 2016 and 2017? You refund only covered one of these periods?

Can't do more without seeing all documentation but offer up a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

40% emergency tax doesn't start until week 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

OP stated that s/he didn't give Tesco his/her PPSN in which case 40% emergency tax commences immediately.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/emergency-basis.html

No PPS Number provided

Where a new employee does not supply his employer with his PPS number, the employer is obliged to calculate the tax due on the employee's earnings at the higher rate with no tax credit. Where the employee subsequently provides their PPS number the normal emergency basis will apply to the earnings in that and subsequent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ChRyan212

Hi all, thanks for the responses, turns out they apparently sent me a 2017 P45 which explains the figures not matching up. They're sending out a P60 for 2016 tomorrow so hopefully that will do it. Gonna keep this up in case anyone's going through a similar situation. Thanks again guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement