Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to live in Cork

Options
  • 09-03-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

Just come back to the City after a few years abroad. I've only ever really lived here when I was in college, but now I'm currently looking for areas to live. I'm quite interested in buying something, but house prices are going mad as ye all know :/

I've seen a few houses up around Gurranabraher / Blarney Street / The northside that are more reasonable, but what's the consensus on those areas? Are they alright? Lot's of antisocial people? They had a very bad reputation when I was in College, but I'm curious how accurate that is?

Being walking distance to town is probably the most important factor for me.

Thanks in advance lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

timcollins wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just come back to the City after a few years abroad. I've only ever really lived here when I was in college, but now I'm currently looking for areas to live. I'm quite interested in buying something, but house prices are going mad as ye all know :/

I've seen a few houses up around Gurranabraher / Blarney Street / The northside that are more reasonable, but what's the consensus on those areas? Are they alright? Lot's of antisocial people? They had a very bad reputation when I was in College, but I'm curious how accurate that is?

Thanks in advance lads

Welcome back, Tim ! I can't comment on the northside as I don't live up there, but what sort of budget had you in mind, and how many bedrooms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 timcollins

Thanks Mumha, delighted to be back apart from the housing situation!

I'd be looking at anything up to 150k really. 2 bed is fine by me as I'm single at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Yeah there does seem to be better value on the northside, though have a look around Barrack Street/Douglas Street/Dunbar Street, which are all handy for town too.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-drews-terrace-evergreen-street-cork-city-cork/3852392

Edit : Housing situation is going to get worse in the short term, there just aren't enough properties to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

It's worth having a look around Shandon as well for places i.e. walk past this one on a little cul-de-sac every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance lads
    There's a reason the're cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

aujopimur wrote: »

There's a reason the're cheap.
    which is?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zooouma

I live near guarranabraher it has its moments just like any other part of cork, ppl are sound the neighbourhood next to it is must likely the bad stuff you've heard about the northside which has been redeveloped since. I would look at maybe ballyvolane 20 mins walk from town & regular buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Definitely get better value up the north side and there's some nice houses! Recently bought out in Blackpool- 3 bed with good size garden out the back. Couldn't have got that anywhere else on my budget. Nice quiet street and nice neighbours. It mightn't be as 'flashy' an area but it has everything around. Gym, cinema, aldi, all the coffee shops and 10 min walk to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭cudsy1

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance lads

bump

Advertisement