Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Eir Sport continue use Microsoft Silverlight?

Options
  • 09-03-2017 10:33am

Why does Eir Sport continue to use this ancient technology? With Firefox now no longer supporting it, you have the ridiculous situation where the 3 main browers (Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Edge) are no longer able to facilitate the viewing of Eir Sport online unless you set IE11 instead of Edge as your browser in Windows 10.  Does Eir Sport have any plans to ditch Silverlight?

Comments

Also a further query. Because now I have to use IE11 instead of Firefox to view Eirsport, neither of the 2 PC's that were previously registered to view the service are now registered. I registered one, but as it counts as a change I can't register the 2nd PC for a month. Why does switching browsers cause the PCs to become unregistered? Can this be overidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Also a further query. Because now I have to use IE11 instead of Firefox to view Eirsport, neither of the 2 PC's that were previously registered to view the service are now registered. I registered one, but as it counts as a change I can't register the 2nd PC for a month. Why does switching browsers cause the PCs to become unregistered? Can this be overidden?
    Exactly the same issue for me, I use Firefox and since update 52 I had to switch to IE and was only allowed to make the change on one machine this month.
    Could Eir relax the one change per month for a short time and when will Silverlight be dropped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi Deleted User,

The reason this happens is because the device/ browser is tied to the cookie so when you change browser it won’t find the cookie of the original browser and will register it as another device or swap. Our technical team can arrange a swap in this case or I can arrange it for you here if you PM me your e-mail address, name and account number.

Thanks,
    Pamela

Why does Eir Sport continue to use this ancient technology? With Firefox now no longer supporting it, you have the ridiculous situation where the 3 main browers (Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Edge) are no longer able to facilitate the viewing of Eir Sport online unless you set IE11 instead of Edge as your browser in Windows 10.  Does Eir Sport have any plans to ditch Silverlight?
    Hi  Deleted User,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll pass it onto the eir Sport team. I'm afraid we have no plans at the minute to move away from Silverlight.

Thanks,
    Pamela 

jspuds wrote: »
    Exactly the same issue for me, I use Firefox and since update 52 I had to switch to IE and was only allowed to make the change on one machine this month.
    Could Eir relax the one change per month for a short time and when will Silverlight be dropped?
    Hi  jspuds,

I've answered your query above.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi  Deleted User,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll pass it onto the eir Sport team. I'm afraid we have no plans at the minute to move away from Silverlight.

Thanks,
    Pamela 
    That should be interesting.
    Microsoft are abandoning Silverlight but eir have no plane to use something else that all customers can access.

I do not use Windows but did get an old Win 7 laptop for the purposes of receiving the eir sport channels.
    Of course Firefox got updated on Windows without my knowledge and now I cannot access the eir sports channels.
    So I tried installing IE 11 ...... and it won't install!

It is long past time that eir did something about this ridiculous situation where users of popular technology cannot access the channels.

Other providers are able to do so ..... but eir apparently have no intention of doing it. Instead eir limits access to the sports channels to those with specific operating systems running specific browsers!

Complete nonsense!

Wake up eir!
    This is 2017 and not 2007!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The resistance is probably due to having to pony up for a new licence. 

ED E wrote: »
    A short update on my situation ..... I uninstalled Firefox, then downloaded FF 51 and installed that. Hopefully I set it to not update.
    Tried eir sports only to find I was blocked from adding 'another device'.
    Apparently my attempts to get the damned thing working yesterday used up whatever allowance for adding and deleting devices that eir allows.

So do I get a new allowance tomorrow, the beginning of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A short update on my situation ..... I uninstalled Firefox, then downloaded FF 51 and installed that. Hopefully I set it to not update.
    Apparently my attempts to get the damned thing working yesterday used up whatever allowance for adding and deleting devices that eir allows.

See above. 

See above. 
    If the allowance is renewed on the first of the month there is no need to go through the eir reps.
    On the other hand if each change must be 30 days after the oldest previous change ......

• Advertisement

I tried again today using the same laptop and this time it allowed it to 're-register', showing that I had 1 option to swap device for the month.
    Maybe I misunderstood the message but it seems no more changes for another month, so hopefully Firefox does not update itself or Windows do something foolish to affect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi 17-pdr,

I understand where you are coming from and I do apologise for the inconvenience. 

Unfortunately, this is how the system works from our side and it is out of our control. However, Our technical team can arrange a swap in this case or I can arrange it for you here if you PM me your e-mail address, name and account number.

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

This is ridiculous. Genuinely. Inept. 

You can only watch eir sport on a browser that 13% of pc owners use, and that 13% is mostly as inept as Eir.

Advertisement