Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's weekend visit

Options
  • 09-03-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Myself & Herself will be in Cork over the weekend.
    Arriving @12 on Friday Paddies day, Leaving Sunday lunchtime.

Is there a pub along the parade route that would give a view with a beer?
    The English market is on the list of stuff to do, what else is there that is not museums and the like for a couple of jackeen's to do?

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Oddly, we only have 1 pub along our main street, La Chateau on Patricks Street, and they have no view of the parade as its ground floor only. Soho at Daunt Square is possibly the only pub with an aerial view but is generally taken over by one of the local radio stations for listener do's, so if marching bands and ethnic groups are your thing then it might be 90 mins of standing for you. After the parade, the city generally stays busy, but this year in particular with the rugby on at 5pm I'd expect most pubs to be packed. The city streets can get a bit hairy with groups of teens sharing their first can of Linden Village, but thats usually cleared after a while.

You wont really enjoy the City on Paddys day, but use your time on Sunday morning for a stroll around. You'll have no problem seeing the whole city on foot. If you want to go a bit adventurous, 25 mins from the city is Kinsale, which with the right weather is really lovely, and then the driving route from there as far as Clonakilty is about 45 mins and really spectacular. The West Cork Rally is on in Clon for the weekend, so there is generally a big buzz around the town, and the actual rallying is free to watch with stages from 11am to 7pm, all pretty close to the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Having just googled it, aren't Electric and the Roundy on the route also? Probably not much of a view, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Malari wrote: »
    Having just googled it, aren't Electric and the Roundy on the route also? Probably not much of a view, mind you.

I completely forgot about Electric. Might be a great spot if the weather is nice as they have the outdoor beer garden by the river. The Roundy is around the corner from the parade so will have no view. Also, I completely had my dates mixed up. The rugby is the Saturday evening, with the Ladies hopefully going for a Grand Slam on the Friday night at 8pm, but there is also Cheltenham which the bars will push big to get people in the doors. I know the bars in Douglas, 10 mins from City Centre, have live music for the weekend, so Id expect the city ones to be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Myself & Herself will be in Cork over the weekend.
    Arriving @12 on Friday Paddies day, Leaving Sunday lunchtime.

Is there a pub along the parade route that would give a view with a beer?
    The English market is on the list of stuff to do, what else is there that is not museums and the like for a couple of jackeen's to do?

Thanks lads.
    Electric is on the route and does fab food (fancier than your usual pub grub but alot of suppliers from the market)
    t

CianDon wrote: »
    I completely forgot about Electric. Might be a great spot if the weather is nice as they have the outdoor beer garden by the river. The Roundy is around the corner from the parade so will have no view. Also, I completely had my dates mixed up. The rugby is the Saturday evening, with the Ladies hopefully going for a Grand Slam on the Friday night at 8pm, but there is also Cheltenham which the bars will push big to get people in the doors. I know the bars in Douglas, 10 mins from City Centre, have live music for the weekend, so Id expect the city ones to be the same

It does have outdoor seating and from the right seats inside you can see down the Grand Parade. Not perfect, but still an option.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Malari wrote: »
    It does have outdoor seating and from the right seats inside you can see down the Grand Parade. Not perfect, but still an option.

Not a hope of seeing the parade though with all the people between the pub and Pana

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Not a hope of seeing the parade though with all the people between the pub and Pana

Yeah, fair enough, didn't think of that. I've never actually been at the parade...I'm more of a pub expert ;-)

Advertisement