Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law on drunk in a public place ?

Options
  • 09-03-2017 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Is it an offence to be drunk in a public space in ireland? Or am I thinking its just UK law? - just yesterday I heard that some drunk guy was on Dublin to sligo train boarded at Dublin Connelly and got off at Mullingar and was really Leary and loud and making passengers uneasy and intimidating and I have have heard if a few instances . i t just got me thinking about passenger safety, security and comfort that other passengers should be able to expect and that maye (somehow) the intoxicated passenger should not have been allowed to board the train in the first instance in that state or should have been thrown off at earliest opportunity. I know some might laugh it off and think its petty or maybe have been in the same circumstance as the offender , or abeen travelling before on public transport and just ignored it but I think it dose need addressing still is my opinion. Of course on a thing like a train there's not a lot you can do to move away from someone like that if you think they might become a danger on that journey and you are in confined spaces.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Can you not contact the staff on the train if there is unsavoury activity going on? they tell you how on the little digital scrolling screens above the doors.
    In relation to your example, if someone is really pissed and loud/aggressive then they should not be allowed on the train or like you say they should be thrown off (just slow down a little first). It is amazing the detrimental affect one person can have on everyone else in a situation like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Is it an offence to be drunk in a public space in ireland? Or am I thinking its just UK law? - just yesterday I heard that some drunk guy was on Dublin to sligo train boarded at Dublin Connelly and got off at Mullingar and was really Leary and loud and making passengers uneasy and intimidating and I have have heard if a few instances . .

Was it Michael O'Leary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Drunk is fine. Pissed off your head but not causing trouble on a train is your own problem.

Drunk and disorderly is where the trouble starts. Disturbing the peace is a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

gramar wrote: »
    Was it Michael O'Leary?

Ah don't be slagging his grammar, the train did leave from Con nelly station after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

me_irl wrote: »

Thanks for posting that, I wouldn't have even known where to look.

So a fine, if the garda in their jurisdiction finds them intoxicated as to be a danger of themselves or to others, of no more than 100eur and no custodial sentences. Its not that much of a deterrent I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Dublin to Sligo train is notorious for this kinda shyte.

I see it almost every time i'm on. Always (at least) one a$$hat shouting and frightening people

Thanks for posting that, I wouldn't have even known where to look.

So a fine, if the garda in their jurisdiction finds them intoxicated as to be a danger of themselves or to others, of no more than 100eur and no custodial sentences. Its not that much of a deterrent I think

No worries.

I think it's a bit of an odd issue, as if someone is unconscious-drunk they're not a danger to others (may be to themselves), but if they are abusive and shouting that's where you're getting in to the realm of unpredictability regarding these outbursts.

There have been a few instances on buses where the driver had let on some absolute puddles, and I do think he/she is putting the other passengers at risk by doing so. But, if I was put in that situation I wouldn't want to be confrontational to a drunkard either.

my lad takes the bus - much prefers it to the train , and just last week a drunk tried to board the bus and the driver wouldnt take him - a few expletives (and he was leary ;) ) but that was about it, bus door closed and bus driver on his way

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Dublin to Sligo train is notorious for this kinda shyte.

I see it almost every time i'm on. Always (at least) one a$$hat shouting and frightening people

yeah sorry about that - thats me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

What's this Leary **** about?

if someone comes too much of it and a regular occurrence, custodial sentence (even if just for a week) ? - or is that too OTT/harsh?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lary

lary

British slang.

To be loud, aggressive, and antisocial.
    eg. The lary England supporters goaded the police, cursing loudly and throwing rocks.

;)

leery
    ˈlɪəri/Submit
    adjectiveinformal
    adjective: leery; comparative adjective: leerier; superlative adjective: leeriest
    cautious or wary due to realistic suspicions.
    "a city leery of gang violence"

Advertisement