Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get Out

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think any of it was laugh out funny but the schlocky feel of the entire movie and the totally over the top nature of the revelation and the final act had me grinning like an idiot. It felt very much like the horror movies of the 80s that I loved as a kid.
    Especially Miss."Now that I've revealed I'm evil I'm going to tie my hair back"
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »
    Especially Miss."Now that I've revealed I'm evil I'm going to tie my hair back"
    :D
    Her whole preppy outfit with her big glass of milk was just perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think any of it was laugh out funny but the schlocky feel of the entire movie and the totally over the top nature of the revelation and the final act had me grinning like an idiot. It felt very much like the horror movies of the 80s that I loved as a kid.

Exactly this for me as well. Like an episode of The Twilight Zone/Masters of Horror with a more modern framework, but the tone and style was totally familiar and comfortable. Nail on head for me, but I can absolutely see how the appeal is hard to understand to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought it was hilarious, in a good way. It mixed contemporary cringe humour with classic thriller themes. It worked!

Loved the bit when the flash goes off when he's trying to take a sneaky pic. The social awkwardness and silence of the group is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Can anyone explain the opening scene of the film?

It doesn't fit at all with the apparent usual modus operandi of the family business...

I really enjoyed the film. Was rattled afterwards :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

elefant wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the opening scene of the film?

It doesn't fit at all with the apparent usual modus operandi of the family business...

I really enjoyed the film. Was rattled afterwards :pac:
    I don't think there is a modus operandi. The siblings are tasked with bringing in the goods, how they do it is up to them. Rose seduces her prey, while her brother uses brute force. Her method is presumably much more profitable since they get to parade the goods in front of the buyers before the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't think there is a modus operandi. The siblings are tasked with bringing in the goods, how they do it is up to them. Rose seduces her prey, while her brother uses brute force. Her method is presumably much more profitable since they get parade the goods in front of the buyers before the auction.

Ah, fair enough.
    I thought I saw that guy in one of her pictures, but I must have been mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

elefant wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough.
    I thought I saw that guy in one of her pictures, but I must have been mistaken

Can someone tell me how to do the spoiling thing? I have a theory on this but of course don't want to say anything and ruin the movie for someone who hasn't seen it.

Can someone tell me how to do the spoiling thing? I have a theory on this but of course don't want to say anything and ruin the movie for someone who hasn't seen it.

Okay.
    In the replay window, select your text and then press spoiler on the top right side of the reply window and Ta-Dah - Spoiler Text!!!

• Advertisement

Okay.
    In the replay window, select your text and then press spoiler on the top right side of the reply window and Ta-Dah - Spoiler Text!!!

I hope this works
    Admittedly I havent rewatched this since seeing it in the cinema but I thought the guy abducted at the start of the movie was the friend who went missing and ended up married to the older woman, I can't recall his name right now. Young guy, hat, married to the old woman, freaked out at the party.

I hope this works
    Admittedly I havent rewatched this since seeing it in the cinema but I thought the guy abducted at the start of the movie was the friend who went missing and ended up married to the older woman, I can't recall his name right now. Young guy, hat, married to the old woman, freaked out at the party.

Aye, it is him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I hope this works

Yep that's him, I don't think anyone was questioning that tho, they were simply wondering was there any reason why he wasn't tricked like the others.

Yep that's him, I don't think anyone was questioning that tho, they were simply wondering was there any reason why he wasn't tricked like the others.

Oh ok, I misunderstood and thought some people had missed something I considered obvious.

It was a seriously enjoyable movie BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Oh ok, I misunderstood and thought some people had missed something I considered obvious.

It was a seriously enjoyable movie BTW.

Ya I thought it was a really good film, I wouldn't be a massive fan of out and out horror, and this had a very good blend of humour, suspense, and mystery that was perfect for me.

I hear alot that that it's not as good as the reviews it's got which is probably true but only by a very thin margin imo.

Ya I thought it was a really good film, I wouldn't be a massive fan of out and out horror, and this had a very good blend of humour, suspense, and mystery that was perfect for me.

I hear alot that that it's not as good as the reviews it's got which is probably true but only by a very thin margin imo.

I think it was better for people who went in and didn't really know what to expect, lower expectations maybe. Now that it has been talked up so much, a lot of people will be disappointed that it doesn't meet their sky high expectations.

• Advertisement

I think it was better for people who went in and didn't really know what to expect, lower expectations maybe. Now that it has been talked up so much, a lot of people will be disappointed that it doesn't meet their sky high expectations.

I thought it was going to be a sombre critique on the 'horrors of identity politics today' given some of the nonsense I'd glanced over in the likes of the Guardian and so wasn't expecting it to be so much fun.

I thought it was going to be a sombre critique on the 'horrors of identity politics today' given some of the nonsense I'd glanced over in the likes of the Guardian and so wasn't expecting it to be so much fun.

I had similar expectations, I was certainly thinking it would play in to the race relations in the states a lot more than it actually did aswell. However a work colleague of mine went in expecting a jumpy style horror and he was also pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Loved the movie but one niggly thing that's slightly confusing me -
    Why were the Grandparents 'resurrected' as hired help (for want of a better phrase)? Seemed strange to go to all that trouble and then to just have them working for the family... or was that just a cover story to not arouse suspicion from the protagonist while he was there?

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Loved the movie but one niggly thing that's slightly confusing me -
    Why were the Grandparents 'resurrected' as hired help (for want of a better phrase)? Seemed strange to go to all that trouble and then to just have them working for the family... or was that just a cover story to not arouse suspicion from the protagonist while he was there?
    I think it was just to not arouse suspicion about 2 black people hanging around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My guess is that some of the targets are picked to order. They are put up on the open market, but still picked to order. If she can seduce them, that works, if she can't they send in the brother for a more intense abduction. I think Chris was picked for his eyes / photography skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LOVED this! Can see why it was getting rave reviews and is still playing in the cinema, months after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

TSA. Consider your **** mutgafecking handled.

That was a great film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

I finally got to see this last night and it definitely lived up to the hype. I would however question the genre of Horror it has been placed into. I feel this is much more a slightly scary Dramedy than anything.

When I think Horror I think of films like Rec, Halloween etc.

Nevertheless, it's a must see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Saw this tonight, and thought it was great.... Really sort of unique. Not the usual predictable slasher type movie. Best horror movie I've seen in a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It had a bit of a Being John Malkovich vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I finally got to see this last night and it definitely lived up to the hype. I would however question the genre of Horror it has been placed into. I feel this is much more a slightly scary Dramedy than anything.

When I think Horror I think of films like Rec, Halloween etc.

Nevertheless, it's a must see!
    It's closer to being a comedy than it is a horror movie. Political satire with elements of both horror and drama is probably more suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

watched this recently - wouldn't be my fav movie genre (though i don't know exactly what genre it fits into - horror/comedy/drama/doc) but i really enjoyed it - and the way I judge how well i like a movie is by how much attention I pay to it and I have to say that I stayed with it every step of the way - everything about the movie was tightly done,.. the acting was superb - it reminded me of black mirror - the flash of the camera etc.. and it was v unpredictable - well for most of the time.. yep - excellent movie.. excellently executed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Watched this on Netflix there, when or how did he put cotton buds in his ears while he was schackled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Watched this on Netflix there, when or how did he put cotton buds in his ears while he was schackled?

I think he was able to lean down enough to put bits he’d picked out into his ears.

Willing suspension of disbelief maybe?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dots1982 wrote: »

In an earlier scene you see he's able to get close enough to bite at the shackles, so just about close enough to reach his ears.

I really enjoyed it, great mix of funny and creepy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I wonder if he stayed off the fags in the end.

Advertisement