Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Bar Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lots of people don't go drinking on school nights so finding pubs quiet in midweek is pretty normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lots of people don't go drinking on school nights so finding pubs quiet in midweek is pretty normal.

True but in Dublin pubs are buzzy with young mid 20s.Not sure the demand is there for another hipster bar.Hopfully im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

bigpink wrote: »
    Is there tho?Been outbin town alot mid week and the city is very quiet

Mol an oige agus thiocfaidh siad.

True but in Dublin pubs are buzzy with young mid 20s.Not sure the demand is there for another hipster bar.Hopfully im wrong

Dublin has the inner city population to sustain it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

The Wickham Tap will be a craft beer bar only and there's no other bars like it in Limerick. I doubt there'll be much midweek action but how many Limerick pubs do much trade during the week. Thursday through to Sunday will be the bar's focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

JoeLapira wrote: »
    The Wickham Tap will be a craft beer bar only and there's no other bars like it in Limerick. I doubt there'll be much midweek action but how many Limerick pubs do much trade during the week. Thursday through to Sunday will be the bar's focus.

Mother Macs springs to mind?! They pride themselves on their craft beer selection, have a rotational tap, and frequently have craft beer brewers in to give talks.

Mother Macs springs to mind?! They pride themselves on their craft beer selection, have a rotational tap, and frequently have craft beer brewers in to give talks.

Ya they have a good craft selection, and the Meet the Brewer nights are great but they also stock the regular beers; Heineken and Guinness and such, so they appeal to more than just craft beer drinkers. The Wickham Tap wont be stocking Heineken etc and will appeal to craft beer drinkers only. They will also have more than 1 rotational tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Best of luck to them all...bettwr than empty units...but I still don't get the craft beer thing. Most of them taste rank to me to be honest but each to their own and all that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

vkid wrote: »
    Best of luck to them all...bettwr than empty units...but I still don't get the craft beer thing. Most of them taste rank to me to be honest but each to their own and all that.

It's just beer made properly, to be honest. Decent ingredients in higher concentrations. Some hoppy, some malty, some sour, some strong, some light, some a mixture. It's no mystery.

Guinness is just one example of a stout. Heineken is just one example of a lager. There's always been a wider variety available internationally, but now we're starting to catch up with it in Ireland too.

It's just beer made properly, to be honest. Decent ingredients in higher concentrations. Some hoppy, some malty, some sour, some strong, some light, some a mixture. It's no mystery.

Guinness is just one example of a stout. Heineken is just one example of a lager. There's always been a wider variety available internationally, but now we're starting to catch up with it in Ireland too.

I know all that, I've yet to find one I think is nice I suppose. I'll stick to my Peroni for now.

• Advertisement

Opening this evening, anyone heading in? Unfortunately I'm stuck at work but i will definitely be in there this weekend, hopefully they'll still have some 200 Fathoms left. Looks good from the pics that ive seen and some of those pics also show that there's 19 different tap on offer. It took a long time for them to open this bar but its gonna be well worth the wait.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm planning to head in at some stage anyway. Was trying to find out the opening time from the Facebook page but couldn't see one. Might see if they've said anything on Twitter instead.

It opens at 4 as far as im aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

vkid wrote: »
    I know all that, I've yet to find one I think is nice I suppose. I'll stick to my Peroni for now.

It is a bit like the kind of food so many people were raised on before the Celtic Tiger era - bland, boiled to death and very plain ordinary food.

The Irish palate was generally not used to cuisine from around the world where flavour and spices were the norm.

Now look at what we have to choose from - food from all over the world, full of flavour and cooked in a way that isn't just boiled.

Craft Beer is a little like that. Guiness and Heineken on the other hand are the mashed spuds and boiled veg of 80's Ireland.

And many people haven't yet got the palate to appreciate beer with a flavour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Exeggcute wrote: »
    It is a bit like the kind of food so many people were raised on before the Celtic Tiger era - bland, boiled to death and very plain ordinary food.

The Irish palate was generally not used to cuisine from around the world where flavour and spices were the norm.

Now look at what we have to choose from - food from all over the world, full of flavour and cooked in a way that isn't just boiled.

Craft Beer is a little like that. Guiness and Heineken on the other hand are the mashed spuds and boiled veg of 80's Ireland.

In your opinion. Taste is very subjective.

Exeggcute wrote:

Sorry but that is the snobbiest load of codswollop I've read in a long time. Its beer, you either like it or you don't. You also have no idea how developed or otherwise anyone's palate is.

That is exactly the kind of drivel that drives me nuts about craft beer and one of the reasons stopped going to the likes of the blind pig...and will be unlikely to go to Galway bay. Each to their own and all that but waffling about peoples palates not being good enough to appreciate beer is kind of laughable.

Jesus I hope this place just doesn't end up being another typical place for Hipsters drinking their "craft beer" from jars and spouting tripe about what is and what isn't a good beer. Comical stuff.

Why does everyone just associate Craft Beer to Hipsters. Myself and a lot of the people i know who are into craft beer are far from Hipsters, and by the way they wont be serving drink in jars. In fact its normally just hipsters who are the ones enforcing the craft beer snobbery on people and alot of them barely know what they are talking about. I for one have no problem with those who dont like craft beer, its their choice and I also enjoy the occasional pint of Bud or Guinness depending on my mood but in my opinion the are so many beers better than the 2 i mentioned but each to their own. Its great for Limerick to have a place to go for craft beer enthusiasts, along with Mother Macs, and hopefully it succeeds and becomes a long standing member of the Limerick pub scene.

The knee-jerk hyperventilating in response to my daring to mention the word palate is precisely the perfect example of the inverse snobbery and ignorance prevalent in Ireland.

It is not snobbery to explain why so many people in Ireland react with disgust to craft beer because of the strong taste. It is a simple fact. They are not used to it because they've been accustomed to a severely limited range of lager and beer offered by multinationals.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the like of Budweiser, Heineken, Carlsberg and Guinness are all popular and all notoriously bland in flavour?

That is a deliberate thing on behalf of the brewery - bland appeals to a wider range of consumers.

That is is why Guinness has been significantly altered over the years to "water down" its flavour profile. The Guinness with the most flavour is the Foreign Extra Stout - the one that is exported.

I like my Budweiser just as much as the next guy, but the attempts to associate craft beer and why it is different with hipsters and snobs is just pure tripe spouted by people who don't know what they are talking about.

The usual Irish attitude to sneer at anything that dares to deviate from the herd.

Why does everyone just associate Craft Beer to Hipsters. Myself and a lot of the people i know who are into craft beer are far from Hipsters, and by the way they wont be serving drink in jars. In fact its normally just hipsters who are the ones enforcing the craft beer snobbery on people and alot of them barely know what they are talking about. I for one have no problem with those who dont like craft beer, its their choice and I also enjoy the occasional pint of Bud or Guinness depending on my mood but in my opinion the are so many beers better than the 2 i mentioned but each to their own. Its great for Limerick to have a place to go for craft beer enthusiasts, along with Mother Macs, and hopefully it succeeds and becomes a long standing member of the Limerick pub scene.

Well it was more in reference to the comment about not having the palette for appreciating beer if you drink Guinness or Heineken than the establishment itself. The comment seems to fit the stereo type imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Great to have gbB in Limerick..
    But think they'll struggle a little.. couple of months too late..
    competing with Mother Macs will be very tough!

Exeggcute wrote:
    The knee-jerk hyperventilating in response to my daring to mention the word palate is precisely the perfect example of the inverse snobbery and ignorance prevalent in Ireland.

Lolz. Seriously are you reading what you post. Inverse snobbery.. ffs

lmfao

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Exeggcute wrote: »

It is not snobbery to explain why so many people in Ireland react with disgust to craft beer because of the strong taste. It is a simple fact. They are not used to it because they've been accustomed to a severely limited range of lager and beer offered by multinationals.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the like of Budweiser, Heineken, Carlsberg and Guinness are all popular and all notoriously bland in flavour?

That is a deliberate thing on behalf of the brewery - bland appeals to a wider range of consumers.

That is is why Guinness has been significantly altered over the years to "water down" its flavour profile. The Guinness with the most flavour is the Foreign Extra Stout - the one that is exported.

I like my Budweiser just as much as the next guy, but the attempts to associate craft beer and why it is different with hipsters and snobs is just pure tripe spouted by people who don't know what they are talking about.

The usual Irish attitude to sneer at anything that dares to deviate from the herd.

Complete and utter BS. I've been all over the world and drank the local brew wherever I've gone. I've tasted every type of beer imaginable. Some I liked, some I didn't. If I go to the off licence I'll never buy Heineken, bud etc, but when I go for a pint I'll drink Guinness or Heineken because I also like them and I know I'll get a good pint.

Complete and utter BS. I've been all over the world and drank the local brew wherever I've gone. I've tasted every type of beer imaginable. Some I liked, some I didn't. If I go to the off licence I'll never buy Heineken, bud etc, but when I go for a pint I'll drink Guinness or Heineken because I also like them and I know I'll get a good pint.

Yeah clearly you are exactly the kind of person I was talking about in my post...ffs

Read what I said again. I'm talking about people who are new to craft beer not people who have travelled all over the world and deliberately choose to drink bland beer because that's what they like.

I'm talking about people who are not used to beer having a strong flavour and who react accordingly.

Jesus. It's not complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

Just shut it the both of you . Lol

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Great to have gbB in Limerick..
    But think they'll struggle a little.. couple of months too late..
    competing with Mother Macs will be very tough!

I dont think it will be that tough, Mother Macs has definitely filled the craft beer void over the last while but The Wickham Tap will be up a level in terms of their craft beer offering, as i mentioned earlier, they have 19 taps and probably a fridge or 2 full of various craft beer bottles.

Do you work there?

Do you work there?

Nope, im just a craft beer lover who's delighted to see Limerick finally have a proper craft beer pub.

I dont think it will be that tough, Mother Macs has definitely filled the craft beer void over the last while but The Wickham Tap will be up a level in terms of their craft beer offering, as i mentioned earlier, they have 19 taps and probably a fridge or 2 full of various craft beer bottles.

Which doesn't sound all that different to mother macs?....
    A couple extra taps?
    Will need to do more than that.. certainly won't do stuff like meet the brewer or beer type fests... wouldn't suit GBB surely?..

• Advertisement

Nope, im just a craft beer lover who's delighted to see Limerick finally have a proper craft beer pub.

Ah come on?
    Mother macs more than fills the motif of 'proper craft beer pub'

Advertisement