Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Bar Limerick

Comments

As a pedestrian I like the idea of losing a lane on Wickham street but as a motorist I think it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The owners of the derelict buildings on that street should to be forced to either renovate their properties or made sell up. That street has been an eyesore for decades. Widening footpaths and restricting driving lanes won't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Rather bizarrely when I asked the barman which stout he recommends, he said Guinness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably because that's the only "traditional" stout they have on tap. The others are imperials, porters, or chocolate milk stout.

Probably because that's the only "traditional" stout they have on tap. The others are imperials, porters, or chocolate milk stout.

I'm aware of the differenf stouts and to be honest I didn't go there seeking Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I dislike that street day and night. They did look at other buildings, just a shame they didn't go for another like Bourkes maybe. I haven't visited and I do drink Craft beer.

Why? Frankly it's because of the Heineken lack thing because I'm in a minority. My friends won't drink anything other than mainstream so getting them to go just for me is unlikely. The Blind Pig had to compromise and put in general favourite tipples back on Tap to keep people happy.

And Yes, the owners did have mainstream beers in one of their bars(no longer operating it) in Galway because the crowd who used to frequent it near demanded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

They do Erdinger which is pretty mainstream, if that's any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Still considered "those beers" . I sold craft beers for 7 years, Erdinger will be in that category and when you tell people its a wheat beer they are even more against tasting it.

And Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bazz26 wrote: »
    The owners of the derelict buildings on that street should to be forced to either renovate their properties or made sell up. That street has been an eyesore for decades. Widening footpaths and restricting driving lanes won't change that.

I'm not sure what mechanism can be used to force people to sell. And even if we could do that how do we ensure that those who purchase the buildings will then renovate them?

On the other hand reducing traffic, widening footpaths is proven to make streets more attractive to people, which in turn makes the buildings on the streets more attractive to businesses, which in turn increases their value, which then makes renovation of the buildings more economically feasible.

The price of having attractive, popular streets with lots of retail activity is to restrict traffic from them or remove it altogether.

• Advertisement

That's open for debate but it's not what this thread is about.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's open for debate but it's not what this thread is about.

Well, you're the one who said that widening footpaths wouldn't make a difference to the street's prospects. You should have said you didn't want anybody to disagree with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

They have a new local manager gone in there now to build up trade

zulutango wrote: »
    Well, you're the one who said that widening footpaths wouldn't make a difference to the street's prospects. You should have said you didn't want anybody to disagree with you.

Sigh. You're the one that began by turning a thread about a pub into another of your campaigns for getting traffic out of the city. But it's ok for you use this thread and forum as a podium for your views while you then accuse me of not wanting anyone to disagree with mine. That's a bit rich.

Anyway I will not be engaging anymore about that topic in this thread as this is not the correct thread for it.

You're just trying to shut down a discussion because you don't like it, even though the points were valid, i.e. the way the street is designed does have a real effect on the viability of the businesses on it and the Wickham Tap would have better prospects if it was able to have tables and chairs outside.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyway, moving on.

I was in there myself last night with three friends, two of whom had never been in before. They were very impressed with the range of drinks and the board games, the choice of music, and even the candles around the tables. It definitely wasn't a night for sitting outside. We don't get many such nights in this part of the country anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Was in there once with a mate, couldn't hear each other at all and the music wasn't even all that loud.

I put it down to the lack of soft furnishing in the place, everything just seemed louder.

Had 1 there then went to Mother Mac's, it was busier, the music was louder and we could still carry on a conversation.

I think The Wickham Tap is trying too hard to be an alternative hipster type of place and missing the mark completely.

The range of beers available was impressive though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I thinks it done up nice. Think might take a while to settle in limerick
    Nearly sure they have a guinness tap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Guinness is pretty popular with craft stout/porter drinkers.

Sad to hear that they're blasting the music too loud. Their other branches do that, when you complain to the bar staff (which I've done in at least four of their pubs), you get told that's "what the customers want" and "it's atmosphere".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Just try a few pints of their Full Sail and come back to me then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Nice bar but please get rid of them old school chairs. My back wasn't right for about a week after I paid the place a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

zulutango wrote: »
    You're just trying to shut down a discussion because you don't like it, even though the points were valid, i.e. the way the street is designed does have a real effect on the viability of the businesses on it and the Wickham Tap would have better prospects if it was able to have tables and chairs outside.
    Just back from dingle, was in Dick Macs(Irish pub of the year last few years) the footpath is about 2 ft wide outside it with a constant stream of traffic it didn't deter me

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Just back from dingle, was in Dick Macs(Irish pub of the year last few years) the footpath is about 2 ft wide outside it with a constant stream of traffic it didn't deter me

oh .. fair enough then. Case closed. Wide footpaths clearly aren't advantageous to businesses

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That's not what he said....:rolleyes:.

..and, unfollow thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Good range of beers for those that like that kind of muck! Friendly staff, but jaysus the interior is very poor. As previously mentioned, it's an acoustically noisy room. A common fault in many bars and restaurants and one which is very easily fixed, We had one pint and went elsewhere, pronto. I'd gladly go there again though. They're doing their best.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

was in there a while back and liked it, i think the place looks nice although i can't imagine it being very comfortable in the dead of winter. they could do with a price list for the beers, and a list of the alcohol%. i paid 6e for a small glass that was 12%. it was tasty beer and I'm happy to pay more for quality beer, but i dont want to have to try every beer to get an idea of the price/%

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lachouffe1

Just my 2 cents on the Wickham Tap having visited it last night!
    Overall I liked it, good to have another option in limerick, not sure why people here are making it a competition between mother macs and the Wickham tap, surely enough room for both?! It doesn't bed to be one or the other!

Great selection of beer and for me great there's no Heineken but I don't drink Heineken! plus la chouffe on tap, why would you drink anything else?!
    Everyone there was playing games and was nicely busy!

Just a few observations (not criticisms!)
    I thought it was way too bright in there, they need to tone down the lights and let the candles do more of the work, will create a bit of an atmosphere I think.
    The interior decor is ok but I think a bit of work needs to be done around the actually bar area, looks a bit shabby.
    The music in there was 1990s rave music for a small bit which is I like but not when I am drinking a quietc pint!
    The location is perfect me bit I worry some people might not bother going that far up, would have fitted in a bit better closer to mickey martins side of Thomas st, hoping I am wrong though!

I frequently visit other Galway Bay pubs in Dublin- Black Sheep, Against the Grain, Brewdock, Gasworks, and Beer Market and for me The Wickham Tap is nowhere near as good as them in terms of the beers offered and atmosphere in general so some work to be done there. But like I said I think it's great that we have finally got a proper craft beer in limerick! I hope it stays and who knows maybe we will have more opening! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Was in there a few weeks ago. Not really all that impressed. Been to a few of their pubs in Dublin, but it's nothing like those. I like their beer but the location is poor, it's too small and the layout just doesn't work for me. Thought the seating and bar area were shabby, and the decor just screamed hipster. To be honest I think they've rushed in to opening in Limerick - they should have bided their time and waited for a better and bigger location.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lachouffe1

Townie_P wrote: »
    Was in there a few weeks ago. Not really all that impressed. Been to a few of their pubs in Dublin, but it's nothing like those. I like their beer but the location is poor, it's too small and the layout just doesn't work for me. Thought the seating and bar area were shabby, and the decor just screamed hipster. To be honest I think they've rushed in to opening in Limerick - they should have bided their time and waited for a better and bigger location.

Agreed it is nowhere near the pubs in Dublin but I do think there is enough potential in it. In almost all Galway Bay pubs the seating is a bit shabby, think it'should there look but ya the bar area definitely needs improving, for me it's like a run down local bar!

Not sure I agree on the size though, for me the size and layout was perfect, anything bigger and it will lose atmosphere. Similar to Gasworks in Dublin which is too big and hasn't the atmosphere as all the other Galway Bay pubs. I still think it would have fitted it better closer to Bedford row but still I am glad the pub is here and hopefully does well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Townie_P wrote:

I see that Bourke's on Catherine St. has been bought (don't know by who), but I feel GBB would have been much better off there. Right across from Uber too, a lot more footfall than Wickham St.

Advertisement