Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough cost of internal wall removal and repositioning

Options
  • 09-03-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anybody can help with (very) rough ballpark figure for the removal of some internal walls and new ones being put back up in a new position. Apartment us in the Dublin area, sorry in advance for the long post.

Basically, myself and my better half are looking at buying an 2 story apartment. It's a small 2 bed, around 590 sqft. The layout of the upstairs is terrible, resulting in two bedrooms that are both quite small. A bathroom that is too large and a upstairs landing that is definitely too big.

Our idea was to knock the walls between the bedrooms, bathroom and hallway and put them back up in a different configuration. Basically make the bathroom and hallway smaller and add to the bedrooms.

I know an accurate price could only be gotten after the property was visited. We were just curious about a rough idea to see if it would even be worth putting in a bid or just walking away. The reason we are looking at going to all the trouble is it's in the area we want and a price we can (just about) afford. We have no idea if we'd be looking at 10k, 20k, 40k etc.

The agent has said that the upstairs internal walls are not load bearing. Though I don't see how they would know this. I understand how this makes it even harder to give an idea of a price as I believe load bearing walls add to the cost hugely.

Any help would be greatly appreciate and thanks in advance for any help given. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

dbs103 wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if anybody can help with (very) rough ballpark figure for the removal of some internal walls and new ones being put back up in a new position. Apartment us in the Dublin area, sorry in advance for the long post.

Basically, myself and my better half are looking at buying an 2 story apartment. It's a small 2 bed, around 590 sqft. The layout of the upstairs is terrible, resulting in two bedrooms that are both quite small. A bathroom that is too large and a upstairs landing that is definitely too big.

Our idea was to knock the walls between the bedrooms, bathroom and hallway and put them back up in a different configuration. Basically make the bathroom and hallway smaller and add to the bedrooms.

I know an accurate price could only be gotten after the property was visited. We were just curious about a rough idea to see if it would even be worth putting in a bid or just walking away. The reason we are looking at going to all the trouble is it's in the area we want and a price we can (just about) afford. We have no idea if we'd be looking at 10k, 20k, 40k etc.

The agent has said that the upstairs internal walls are not load bearing. Though I don't see how they would know this. I understand how this makes it even harder to give an idea of a price as I believe load bearing walls add to the cost hugely.

Any help would be greatly appreciate and thanks in advance for any help given. Cheers.

Load bearing walls would add a huge cost and difficulty to the project. Is the wall Solid Block or plaster board, tap on it and see if it sounds solis (Plasterboard unlikely to be load bearing)

Whats on the wall to be knocked. Sinks, toilets, radiators etc need a bit of work.
    Electrics such as light switches relatively easily moved.

For simple wall with just electrics to be moved should be less than a grand

Knock old and build new €300-500
    Electrician €100-200
    Decorating €100-200

New doors etc will add costs.
    Reducing the size of the landing could have knock on effects on building regs minimum sizes

Also Check with the management company about making alterations first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you really need to draw some kind of sketch showing the rough size and whats going where

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Ronney wrote: »
    Load bearing walls would add a huge cost and difficulty to the project. Is the wall Solid Block or plaster board, tap on it and see if it sounds solis (Plasterboard unlikely to be load bearing)

Whats on the wall to be knocked. Sinks, toilets, radiators etc need a bit of work.
    Electrics such as light switches relatively easily moved.

For simple wall with just electrics to be moved should be less than a grand

Knock old and build new €300-500
    Electrician €100-200
    Decorating €100-200

New doors etc will add costs.
    Reducing the size of the landing could have knock on effects on building regs minimum sizes

Also Check with the management company about making alterations first

those prices seem very cheap

what about skip hire, plumbing, ceiling repair, cost of covering everything , skirtings etc,floor coverings,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Prob also need to redo floors
    Repair celings if its bathroom work re tile ect also depending on access might have a bearing on price
    I'd be thinking 5-10k as a stab in the dark
    If its structural walls thats a different ball game altogether not impossible just costly which is all relative to practically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Pen Turner got in before me

• Advertisement
Advertisement