Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I train to be a secondary school art teacher?

Options
  • 09-03-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'd want to live in Ireland so emigrating for work wouldnt be an option for me.

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Teapot30 wrote: »
    I'd want to live in Ireland so emigrating for work wouldnt be an option for me.

Thanks x

Well it all depends on your circumstances. Just be aware that there are little to no vacancies for art teachers except maternity leaves etc. I know someone who teaches art privately - i.e. teaches adults and children at weekends etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Unless you have Irish, French or Maths or Home Economics I wouldn't recommend it. I There are many qualified teachers I know that never got work or very little of it and have left the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Well it all depends on your circumstances. Just be aware that there are little to no vacancies for art teachers except maternity leaves etc. I know someone who teaches art privately - i.e. teaches adults and children at weekends etc.

I have a degree in fine art and teach private classes to kids over mid terms and I do art teaching in school summer camps too but it seems like secondary school art teaching is hard to get into, Might not be worth the 2 years and thousands spent on the masters.

Unless you have Irish, French or Maths or Home Economics I wouldn't recommend it. I There are many qualified teachers I know that never got work or very little of it and have left the profession.

Usually art teachers only teach the one subject. It seems like its very hard to get into..I might just do a Hdip in further education

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its about the only subject thats better than being a CSPE only teacher. You will find it next to impossible to get a job other than short term cover.

• Advertisement

Usually art teachers only teach the one subject. It seems like its very hard to get into..I might just do a Hdip in further education

I wasn't suggesting that the op that combination. I was recommending staying away from teaching.

I've found some also have history.

I wasn't suggesting that the op that combination. I was recommending staying away from teaching.

Is it really that bad? Theres so many adult learning centres and further education colleges why is it so hard to find work? It wasnt that difficult years ago, I wonder whats changed? I was considering doing a Celta course too so id have it as a fall back.

Is it really that bad? Theres so many adult learning centres and further education colleges why is it so hard to find work? It wasnt that difficult years ago, I wonder whats changed? I was considering doing a Celta course too so id have it as a fall back.

From my experience, it's harder to get into further education than regular teaching. I think it's due to them being run by the ETBs where they make up teachers timetables by sending them to the adult education centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭27061986a

How come art teachers can only teach one subject yet home ec teachers can have a second circular subject? Was it ever proposed or examined that art teachers could train in a second subject alongside their original degree as like home ec teachers.

• Advertisement

Because most art degree colleges only have art as their degree subject. As in no other subjects that can be studied along side art . And home ec colleges have science , RE, Irish , and Business as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not all art graduates go on to teach whereas doing home ec is for purpose of teaching

27061986a wrote: »
    How come art teachers can only teach one subject yet home ec teachers can have a second circular subject? Was it ever proposed or examined that art teachers could train in a second subject alongside their original degree as like home ec teachers.

History and art are a common combination.

Advertisement