Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking / Mountaineering Skills Course

Options
  • 09-03-2017 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently been going off on a few walks / hikes around Wicklow and completely love it. Up until now however myself and my few freinds are at the mercy of only heading out when we have someone more experienced to take us. I've gone on a few on my own, but any sign of mist / fog will typically turn back due to safety concerns. Given all this I'm looking into getting some sort of training on mountaineering / navigation so we'd be more confident when we head out on these jaunts.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that does these? There seem be to a good few courses available on mountaineering.ie, are they any good, anyone have any experience or could recommend somewhere else to do such a course?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Here is a list for you.
    https://www.mountaineering.ie/courses/

Of those, I can give you a recommendation for Nathan Kingerlee's company; Outdoors Ireland.
    http://www.outdoorsireland.com/mountainskills.php

Other people may be able to give you other recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Thanks Pat! That's the list I've been working off alright.

Nathan seems to be a bit too far west for me, I'll go with one of the Wicklow based lads I think, but thanks all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I haven't done a course with them myself, but if you want a Wicklow based one, I know Ronan Mullen and Christopher Stacey from that list on mountaineering.ie personally, and they'd both be good choices. Both are Glen of Imaal MRT members.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Thanks Pat! That's the list I've been working off alright.

Nathan seems to be a bit too far west for me, I'll go with one of the Wicklow based lads I think, but thanks all the same!

I think that his company runs courses in Wicklow as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

second Christopher Stacey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hi all, just an update.

I did the mountain skills 1 course over the weekend there. It was great fun, I learned a lot more than I expected to, the instructor was completely dead on. I did mine through mountainskills.ie. Highly recommended if you've an interest in getting a base layer of knowledge on these types of things.

Advertisement