Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job in Bejing, China

• 09-03-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a job in Bejing for the next two years by my current employer. I know NOTHING about the city I have to say and the job are hoping for an answer tomorrow which is a lot to ask of. So please excuse my ignorance and I hope I get a few replies.

So firstly, as a woman, how safe is it there?
    How are Irish women/people in general treated?
    My 2 school aged children and husband will be coming with me and the kids will be schooled in an international school - any idea what these are like?
    What is the cost of living like?
    Is the smog THAT bad?!
    How easy/difficult is it to get around the city?

Any other general info would be very much appreciated :o

Comments

I've been offered a job in Bejing for the next two years by my current employer. I know NOTHING about the city I have to say and the job are hoping for an answer tomorrow which is a lot to ask of...............

Given your questions I'd tell work you need more time.
    Unless you've spent the last few weeks mulling over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've been offered a job in Bejing for the next two years by my current employer. I know NOTHING about the city I have to say and the job are hoping for an answer tomorrow which is a lot to ask of. So please excuse my ignorance and I hope I get a few replies.

My 2 school aged children and husband will be coming with me and the kids will be schooled in an international school - any idea what these are like?
    Is the smog THAT bad?!

I havent been there but knew a girl who worked there for 2 years as a teacher.

You simply need more time, you need to run the numbers and do your research. Insane decision to make in such a short period of time.

1. Yes the smog is that bad, very bad, very very very bad. It will impact your health, its a guarantee. Like if you go out for a walk you will be blowing dirt out of your nose. https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/compare_cities.jsp?country1=China&city1=Beijing&country2=Ireland&city2=Dublin

2. Its going to be as safe/unsafe as any huge city. Chinese dont have any major hangups about women but its not the best either.

3. Cousins went to international schools their whole lives and received a very good education. They all loved it.

4. Cost of living. Dont know, but use this website to see some estimates. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=China&city1=Beijing&country2=Ireland&city2=Dublin

Personally i would only do something like that if i was receiving a massive pay day and afford to live in luxury while there. Especially when you will be dragging your kids and husband with you.

EDIT:
    Looks like the transport system is fairly comprehensive transport network.
    When factoring in cost of living you will need to seriously consider your food budget. Keeping on an Irish diet will be significantly more expensive than eating like the locals.
    Same can be said for accommodation. If you're happy to live with the locals and manage to rent apartments like the locals do then it will be much cheaper than going through expat rental agencies.
    Ideally however your employer will be providing you with a nice apartment.

For foreigners, China is usually very safe. For the Chinese themselves, it's a different story. Make sure to check your doors/windows at night, most of the windows have bars, and the complexs have security, but theft is kinda high here. Also if you get a bike/car, park it in a garage.. don't leave them outside. There are loads of scams regarding accidents.

If you keep your eyes open, you'll be fine. You'll quickly learn which streets have prostitution, and find alternative routes. ;) Just avoid the bar areas if you're alone. Chinese guys get drunk very fast and often can become aggressive. Unpredictable. So, stick to groups in the bar areas and watch your drinks. Date rape drugs are being used in the major cities.

Edit:. Should add. Avoid political discussions about the Chinese government. China is turning very Nationalistic right now. Tibet is a seriously bad conversation topic. If you want to stay in China, then you have to avoid certain topics. Chinese people might present themselves as being open-minded but China has a long history of friends/family informing on each other (you can tiptoe around the cultural revolution). It's just much easier to say you'd like to keep your visa and keep silent. Get a VPN for your computer, and keep an eye on various news sites. You'll want to know if a Western country does anything to piss off China in a major way. Chinese people are very fond of Mob Rule, and won't stop to question whether you're American or Irish. To most Chinese people we all look alike... So, if anything happens, stay inside as long as it goes on. Usually the mob focuses on Japan and Japanese products, but the US has been making waves recently.

Get used to being called British. You'll learn how to explain the difference in Chinese really quickly. :D Most Chinese people are lovely. Very friendly if you respect them. Try to make friends with some chinese people early, and ask politely for them to explain "face" to you. For both men and women. You'll need to know both. Also ask for the differences in the local area versus china in general. It's handy to know a few gestures and cultural habits.

They'll likely be quite nice. International schools are earning a fortune in China these days. So, they're fully capable of giving you something nice. If you're not happy, tell them immediatly. Keep calm and don't raise your voice even if they do... but request firmly for an improvement. Don't allow delays. Once you accept a situation in China, your negotiating influence drops massively.

It really depends what you're into. Bars/Clubs are expensive but the local bars will be cheaper with local (very weak) beers. Luxaries like good chocolate or Icecream are usually expensive. Chinese food is really cheap though. Not very healthy so be very careful about allergies... Restaraunts might have a signs saying 5 stars but most places fake their ratings. Busy places are where to eat. If its empty, don't eat there. Also be very careful of local water.
    Is the smog THAT bad?!

Yup. Ask your university to arrange rebreathers for you on arrival. That way you get used to them quickly. You can find much better ones later... but you don't want to be walking around outside without one. Make sure to check your apartment so that it's actually sealed. A lot of apartments aren't really safe. Do a thorough check of everything. Trust me, it'll save you trouble later.

Also be aware of the heat. Smog will increase the temperature along with all that concrete, and traffic. You also have a growing desert nearby, so expect a lot of sand. Get suntan lotion... while you might not feel the suns heat (light intensity will be less) but those rays are still coming through. Your kids will need the skin protection.

get used to traffic jams also (2 hours is actually considered a short travel time). Beijing is huge. Travelling by car/bus is not really recommended unless its a short hop. Mopeds/Bikes are great but Chinese people don't follow their own driving laws. The Police will probably ignore you, but make sure you have insurance. They're tightening up a lot of laws recently especially around BJ. The subway is good, but get comfortable shoes.. you'll be standing a lot. You'll also have people packed in like sardines.

Make sure that your school gives you Chinese lessons. You can live here without speaking the language but it does become frustrating fast at times. Be careful with local dialects... some people won't speak them and others won't know the official dialect. You'll get used to it quickly.

Bring indigestion tablets. Chinese people love spices, adding flavoring (chemicals), and questionable cooking hygienic facilities. Cooking oil is often reused many times, and you can't always be sure what kind of oil they're using.

Definitely bring some comfort food and hoard it. Chinese delivery services often leave a lot to be desired... I got a christmas package from my parents two years after it was sent. :D Shopping from Taobao is very useful though, and keep an eye out for a store called "Metro". It'll help to keep your sanity with good wine that doesn't cost a fortune. They also have decent quality steaks cut for you.

Lastly, Culture shock won't be huge in BJ. Do go out and meet the forein community. You've got a resource and most people are friendly/helpful. Just remember that dodgy people travel too.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is. China will keep you on your toes without actually being dangerous. :D

I'm in Xi'an 7 years, and have enjoyed it. China can be a great country to live in if you're willing to let things slide. Don't get worked up. Chinese people are very different. :rolleyes: but fun too. :D

Advertisement