Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational Diabetes

Options
  • 09-03-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, has anyone failed the Glucose test recently is the diet as miserable as people say ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

maaa wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone failed the Glucose test recently is the diet as miserable as people say ??

Have you failed the challenge test or the tolerance test? I've had 3 challenge tests done throughout the pregnancy as I meet the markers. I failed the last one and had a tolerance test done which came back fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 maaa

Hi, I was in on monday and had the drink and 3 blood tests and they rang yesterday to say to come back in next week because my bloods came back a bit high.. i got such a shock because they said they would contact me by tuesday at lunchtime if I failed the test that i never asked any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I failed a tolerance test about two weeks before I was due, had one at 30 weeks I think and that was fine, they only retested me as baby was measuring very big. The diet was pretty much what I'd eat normally except no biscuits, cake or anything high in processed sugar, the thing that drove me nuts was the constant testing as I never eat at regular times so ended up skipping meals or I'd be eating so darn late. My blood sugar stayed a little high just over the normal level and pretty much stayed constant so I gave up after a week, my fingers were sore and I was getting so stressed I thought sod it I only had a week to go at that point, so I just stuck to normal food and no sugary stuff. Baby was fine except a bit jaundice and weighed in at 8lbs 13.5oz.
    Also they won't let you go over 39 weeks, which for me meant induction, which failed so I had a c-section, but all went fine!:)
    I think the other bad part was they put me on the diabetes diet in hospital, eating the curtains would have been more palatable!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I had it with my now 8 month old. My levels were borderline - had I been in the uk, or elsewhere outside Ireland I wouldn't have been treated as GD. But I was, and no harm I felt. I had to get my bloods done every fortnight. I got more scans than I would have otherwise have been entitled to in the public system, which was good. I found the dietary advice given by the hospital awful, but I just went by the facebook gd group advice - id definitely recommend following that. I was induced at 40 +5, and had a perfectly perfect (!) 8 pounder! In the end I only gained 10lbs in my pregnancy, and found it quite easy to lose that afterwards. I was strict about avoiding carbs, fruit, processed food and sugars; and pairing fats and proteins with any of the above that I did have; and getting a little bit of exercise after every meal. But it was all so worth it. Plenty of time for cake after the baby is born and you need the energy!

great to hear so many positive remarks that it wasnt too bad.. im looking forward to my visit to the hospital next week so i can just start working on this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Jasmine_16

great to hear so many positive remarks that it wasnt too bad.. im looking forward to my visit to the hospital next week so i can just start working on this..

Have you had your appointment yet?

I've been diagnosed with GD. Baby is measuring two weeks ahead, so they wanted to put the reigns on this one. My other babies were nearly 10lbs, and they thought this one would be more than that.

At first I was put in a controlled diet with a glucose tester. The following week they added the tablets. The week after that they added insulin, then last week they added an extra type of insulin. I'm up to my eyes in medication and tests. They can't seem to get the right balance with my glucose.

The diet is very restrictive I think. Ensuring I don't go near anything sugary is not an issue, I don't have much of a sweet tooth anyway. Nor are bad carbs an issue. What I found was I had to cut my good carbs in order to lower glucose readings, I ended up losing weight. Then they gave out to me for that. I can't seem to win 😐

They've told me to put the good carbs back in and they will keep changing the medication. It's a pain in the behind.

Do let us know how you get on :)

Hi, yeah had my appointment so i start the diet now and take bloods im also on a tablet at night time.. its going to be a learning curve for me and ill probably be cranky a lot so my poor husband better watch out lol

Hi, yeah had my appointment so i start the diet now and take bloods im also on a tablet at night time.. its going to be a learning curve for me and ill probably be cranky a lot so my poor husband better watch out lol

It's so hard, isn't it? I told them I don't eat with my family and I find I only eat to take medication. It's become a real chore.

Well fingers crossed the tablets are as far as it goes for you. How are your readings since going on the tablet?

this morning my fasting bloods were 6.5 then i ate 30g porridge made with water and a splash of milk no sugar and tested an hour later and it was 8.8 !!! 30g of porridge is 3 dessertspoons my husband was shocked at how little it was and when i told him i wouldnt be eating till lunch time i think he now understands how hard this is going to be..
    Tomorrow morning im going to eat porridge and go for a walk then go to work see does that make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Midwife

Some of the diet sheets are really tough but there's a great book you can get online called "Real Food for Gestational Diabetics" - I recommend it for all mums to be even if they don't have GD.  The meal plans are great and satisfying.

• Advertisement

Thanks Midwife, will defo look into that

Midwife - thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into this too.
    this morning my fasting bloods were 6.5 then i ate 30g porridge made with water and a splash of milk no sugar and tested an hour later and it was 8.8 !!! 30g of porridge is 3 dessertspoons my husband was shocked at how little it was and when i told him i wouldnt be eating till lunch time i think he now understands how hard this is going to be..
    Tomorrow morning im going to eat porridge and go for a walk then go to work see does that make a difference
    Isn't it mad how quickly it jumps up? I was told once you are eating the right thing and the right amounts then don't change anything. I didn't know that until I'd already cut out good carbs and fibre. I was told to eat as I had been, and they would adjust the medication accordingly. This does loosen the noose somewhat.

The endocrinologist told me that pre-meals need to be four point something, and after meals need to be in the six point something range.

I ring the diabetic nurse each Monday and give my readings, and she has been telling me to up my dosages at more troublesome times of the day. I'm already over the 32 week mark, I'm beginning to wonder if they will get the balance right prior to delivery, or will it mean an earlier section for me. I've a growth scan tomorrow, so we will see if any of my efforts have been paying off. I hope so :(

your nearly there Jasmine16 im 26 weeks only starting my journey with this.. my range is between 5 and 7.. i was 5.9 this morning then ate 30g porridge made on water no sugar and went for a 30 min walk and an hour later my bloods 8.0 so tomorrow ill try an egg on toast and see.. Porridge obviously doesnt agree with me its all trial and error...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

your nearly there Jasmine16 im 26 weeks only starting my journey with this.. my range is between 5 and 7.. i was 5.9 this morning then ate 30g porridge made on water no sugar and went for a 30 min walk and an hour later my bloods 8.0 so tomorrow ill try an egg on toast and see.. Porridge obviously doesnt agree with me its all trial and error...

Maaa you could also try and drink a large glass of water with your porridge. This will help to excrete some of the glucose when you go to the toilet. It really is a minefield... I could take 40g of porridge in the morning and my bloods would be fine but if I had tea and toast they would be sky high in the morning. Yet I could have a sandwich at lunch time and they would be perfect!!

i love porridge and id drink water with it because i find it makes me thirsty but i wouldnt go to the toilet before i test mmmmmmmmmm maybe ill try that lol.. i seem to be having bother with the after breakfast readings.. all during the day im fine so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

How early do you find out if you have gestational diabetes? I come from a long line of genetic diabetics on my Dad's side. Only one of my 4 sisters has ever had a baby and that was 20 years ago so I don't know if it's likely or not that I will get it! Neither of my sisters in law got it - one just had twins last November. Hoping that I won't get it!!

Hi Meathcat7, I got tested at 24 weeks but was talking to a girl at the hospital who got tested at 13 weeks so not sure if there is a set week. Hope you dont get it either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

Hi Meathcat7, I got tested at 24 weeks but was talking to a girl at the hospital who got tested at 13 weeks so not sure if there is a set week. Hope you dont get it either :)

So long as I get past 10 weeks this time, I'd put up with anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Meathcat7 wrote: »
    How early do you find out if you have gestational diabetes? I come from a long line of genetic diabetics on my Dad's side. Only one of my 4 sisters has ever had a baby and that was 20 years ago so I don't know if it's likely or not that I will get it! Neither of my sisters in law got it - one just had twins last November. Hoping that I won't get it!!

I think usually they test between 24 and 28 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 htynan

The diet isn't awful....had it on my first pregnancy and have just found out I have it on my second at 21 weeks!!!! It's more like very clean eating......its smaller portions, 3 meals, 3 snacks......lunch and.dinners are more protein than carbs. It'll be great when baby is born cause you lose weight, which is def a bonus for me!!! What's killing me is I don't have a medical card and although the cost if needles and testing kit was covered in last pregnancy under long term illness scheme, it no longer is covered. So now, the minimum I have to pay is 144 euro per month under drug payment scheme. I'm furious not to mention stressed as to how I'm gonna afford this along with all other bills and expenses etc. I'm sure there are lots more out there like me.... Has anyone found a way around the system. I'm using the accu-chek mobile!!!

• Advertisement

Hi htynan, yeah its sooooooooooooooo expensive and unfortunately there is no way around it. €144 per month there are so many people diagnosed with it there should be some allowance. im getting on great with it, weight is under what i was when i got pregnant im delighted and feel fantastic.. Can only imagine what weight i would have put on if i hadnt been diagnosed.. i turned it into a positive, it is tough by times but it passes..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Just wondering for anyone who has had gestational diabetes more than once. I had it on my first pregnancy was tested at 28 weeks due to family history of diabetes. I am pregnant again only 10 weeks but I'm already feeling the symptoms. Does anyone know do they test you earlier if you have had it before? Also for anyone who was in the rotunda if you were diet controlled is there anyway they will give you a monitor to test your sugars ( even if you have to pay for it) instead of doing the breakfast club. The breakfast club didn't bother me because I worked fairly close to the rotunda so I'd just head to work after. But I now live over an hour away and half a 2 year old would be a pain to have to go to the rotunda every two weeks an additional time to all the other appointments.

Advertisement