Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threads not carrying on where you left off

Options
  • 09-03-2017 5:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭

This is a HUGE BUG on here and must be ongoing for over half a decade or more at this stage. Why are you not bothering to fix something that makes reading a thread longer than 8 ish pages a pain in the hole????

Seriously why?

Come back to a thread after a few days and it'll open anywhere.

Even on desktop I couldn't be bothered anymore and just forget about it on useless mobile versions.

THIS IS A HUGE BUG! FIX IT!

Unbelievable that you've left it like this for so long.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

It is a bug if it no longer works, however it is working fine here. If the below is not working for you, please let us know.

On desktop, clicking the arrow I've pointed out in the image will aways take you to the first unread post.

411347.png

On touch and responsive, clicking on the post title brings you to the first unread post.

These all work providing you were logged in when you read the thread first and are also logged in when you return to read it. And you are logged into the same account.

The OP is right and I've seen some others post about it aswell. For me it only seems to happen on the touch site. I see a new post has been made, in I go but all I'm getting is the previous post. The only way the new one appears is when the page moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Touch site user here too.

I find the problem is more likely to occur the longer I've been away from a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Touch site user here too.

I find the problem is more likely to occur the longer I've been away from a thread.

This.

If a thread is in regular use, it is more likely to jump to where you left off on Touch. The longer it has been inactive, the more likely it is to open up on page 1, post 1, in my experience. Unfortunately, if there has then been a flurry of activity on that thread, it can suddenly be difficult to find where you did leave it last time.

I haven't seen any issues with desktop, using the method Niamh described above.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

The OP is right and I've seen some others post about it aswell. For me it only seems to happen on the touch site. I see a new post has been made, in I go but all I'm getting is the previous post. The only way the new one appears is when the page moves.

Can you explain what's happening here? You open a thread but you're brought to the post that you last read? This seems better than the alternative that others are reporting.

On mobile, if you only read half a page of a post (but there are more responses), it will mark it that you've read all the posts and bring you to the newest post after that upon your return. If you open page 3 of a 5-page thread and leave and come back, it will bring you straight to page 4, as it registers that the last unread post was the last post of page 3 (seemingly no matter how far down you scrolled). This might explain why it's a seemingly random point that you get dropped back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

On the touch site if I haven't viewed a thread in a certain period of time (I'm not sure how long exactly, but as little as 3 weeks anyway) when I click into it I'm brought back to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can you explain what's happening here? You open a thread but you're brought to the post that you last read? This seems better than the alternative that others are reporting.

On mobile, if you only read half a page of a post (but there are more responses), it will mark it that you've read all the posts and bring you to the newest post after that upon your return. If you open page 3 of a 5-page thread and leave and come back, it will bring you straight to page 4, as it registers that the last unread post was the last post of page 3 (seemingly no matter how far down you scrolled). This might explain why it's a seemingly random point that you get dropped back on.

There is a bug where at times a new post will show in the list on the touch site but when clicked into it shows the last post you read but not the new post, as if it isn't there. Refreshing doesn't work nor does going back to your forum list, where the new post still shows but again, cannot be seen. If you change to desktop the post is there and can be seen.

The other bug is that on the touch site, if you haven't viewed a thread in a while, as IBC says above, it goes back to the OP when you access it again instead of going to the last viewed post as it normally would. As far as I am aware this only happens on the touch site and is happening for as long as I can remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

This has been reported here many times, Mark you said you were adding it to the bugs list yourself a few months ago.

I can leave threads for a long time, Mobile is unusable. It happens on desktop aswell, I last looked at YOLO (is that what it's called? The funny pic thread in cool vids) on page 8, (had it wrote down cuz of this bug) opened the other night on pg27 (I think) Beatty Oscar jokes.

Years it's been doing this. Unusable now. Give up.

You Laugh You Lose... not YOLO.

I have never experienced this on desktop site, only touch.

Kersplatt! has explained it well. It may be long running threads. I've experienced it in the TA, TH, and Let's laugh at depression threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

On the touch site, there are some threads I follow where I can see that someone has posted in the list of followed threads. But when I click through, I get to the previous page. So it happens when someone posts on a new page. I'm only able to see the new page once there are 2 or 3 new posts on it. It's very frustrating when there is a thread that I'm interested in but doesn't have a lot of traffic. You could be waiting ages for the page to turn.
    I've reported this a few times over the last year but it's never been fixed and it's one thing that's reducing my enjoyment of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

It only happens to me on the TTTAY thread and it's very annoying..ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

These are two well known issues with the touch site that have been highlighted several times in the past and ignored.

When a thread is showing a new post but it doesn't show when you click into the thread it is because you have thanked a post twice somewhere in the thread. You won't be able to see the first post on each new page until you remove your thanks or the new page has at least two posts.

The other one is that if you don't view a thread for a week it will bring you back to the start of the thread rather than where you left off. Been a problem with the touch site for as long as I've been using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The other one is that if you don't view a thread for a week it will bring you back to the start of the thread rather than where you left off. Been a problem with the touch site for as long as I've been using it.
    Yep, reported it myself more than three years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95677100. Response: "Cheers for the heads up, we'll take a better look into it as soon as we can"...

Boards' developers used to have an engagement with the users. Now the Site Development forum is a total ghost town (and it dies a long time before users stopped posting their). The farce that was the Responsive Site Testing forum was just a symptom of the total disconnect that occurred.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

28064212 wrote: »
    Yep, reported it myself more than three years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95677100. Response: "Cheers for the heads up, we'll take a better look into it as soon as we can"...

Boards' developers used to have an engagement with the users. Now the Site Development forum is a total ghost town (and it dies a long time before users stopped posting their). The farce that was the Responsive Site Testing forum was just a symptom of the total disconnect that occurred.
    Jeez, pathetic carry on, made even worse by pretending they don't know it's happening.

arkrow wrote: »
    Jeez, pathetic carry on, made even worse by pretending they don't know it's happening.

In fairness Mark wasn't here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

For info, the post not showing (option to click to next page is there but it just loops back to the same page you are on) is not just on the touch site. It happens to me on the normal site with the dark theme enabled.

Any update on this Mark?

Any update on this Mark?

That's a no then.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

No good news, I'm afraid. Should work on both Legacy and Responsive (desktop) - though it will run into issues if you change the number of posts shown per page. The exception to this seems to be if it has a start date older than a certain length of time (unfortunately the person who can shed light on this is off at the moment).

As everyone is aware, it is not working on Touch. I don't have a timeline for when we might start seeing improvements here. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement