Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Relocation suddenly aborted

• 09-03-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Would like your view on the fairness and treatment of this case...Thoughts, comments welcomed...

One year ago I was asked by the MD of my company would I take on a high profile role in the USA after a previous 3 years of service. After several formal discussions I agreed to take the position. Multiple HR discussions later VISAs and relocation packages were presented and I shook hands, however was told a formal contract would be signed only when I moved to the USA. I agreed to the job and my partner and I were set to make this exciting life move. We sold lots of our stuff, handed notice to landlord, she handed in her career break notice and we were set for an April 4th departure.

I had spent a couple of months transitioning to the new job with the client. In Feb I spent a couple of weeks in the USA to build client relationships and get familiar with my future surroundings.

Upon my return from USA I was brought into my local HR team who very suddenly stated "the role has now been pulled, there is no position in the USA" and in that instant all my plans/money/time/stress blew up in my face.

I was asked to take up my previous position which had not been re-filled. The experience has effected me in so many negative ways.

My question is, is this just business? Should I just take it on the chin and chalk it down as a life lesson & don't trust other with your life?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

God no, I'd be gutted as well.

I'd go back to them looking for some kind of compensatory package to be honest. You've sold stuff, given notice in your accommodation, your partner applied for career break.

That's all very stressful stuff and they pull the rug out with 3 weeks to go. It's a rotten thing to do.

Now maybe the role has been decided against as a business decision which is fair enough but they should be offering you some sort of compensation for your inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree with above.

Also you need to find out on the quiet what the real story is. It may just be that in Trump's America an immigrant isn't welcome. Or it may be something about you. Either way you need to use your networks to find out, so you know if it's career-ending for you or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Was there no compensation for the move ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I know guys in the airport when they got a call not to board the plane as a 3 year deal has been withdrawn.
    Not official but I heard they got €5k compensation each.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

At least €5k was a gesture of acknowledgement, I think a good company would do that and wrap it up nicely, it does speaks volumes about my company that they wouldn't even suggest a token. From the above I get the sense that the general consensus would say people would react and possibly make compensation demands, food for thought tho...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

get legal advice but i was coaching a person starting i business recently and i was explaining the importance of leverage and position in business. you dont have any, your mistake was being too trusting which is a common and often used mistake and you should have stated your delight at the opportunity but that you couldnt move forward (sell stuff give notice etc) without a contract (in this case with a clause stateing what happens if it didnt come to fruition)

so in my opinion its just business, i've made worse mistakes and we learn from these things.
    my advice is to politly and sincerly ask for a payrise in return. not compo because the company has probably taken a setback but a raise which shows you plan to stick around.

I don't think I will peruse any legal advice have had enough stress up to this point, you analysis seems spot on, I think the approach to take will be the practical route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

allyano16 wrote: »
    I don't think I will peruse any legal advice have had enough stress up to this point, you analysis seems spot on, I think the approach to take will be the practical route...

good luck with whatever you choose to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH given the extremely short notice, the company should be offering you compensation of some sort to re-mediate the fact that you have made investments and changes based on taking up this new role. I would also try to find out the reasons for the withdrawal of the role, was it external factors or internal factors and were you at the route of any of the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

How did they handle it with you?

Were they sympathetic? Understanding of where you were at? Did they know about your partner?

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    How did they handle it with you?

Were they sympathetic? Understanding of where you were at? Did they know about your partner?

Yes they were aware of my partners situation too. To be honest, my first meeting was direct, to the point and definite. Which put me into a state of shock, making it clear that I was not going to the USA. The follow-up (a week later) was more sympathetic and I did vent my issues but couldn't help but think my issues were falling deaf ears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Any update allyano?

Sorry to hear about this...awful :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Same thing happened to me but i was going the opposite way,back from the US

Definitely Compo

Advertisement