Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every blogger thread gets shut down: oppressive moderating

Options
  • 09-03-2017 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Every blogger thread on this site gets shut down due to "gossip".How is it gossip to discuss something that a blogger themselves has put out on social media for the world to see? Is it "gossip" if I go over to the Ray D'arcy thread and state what I liked/disliked about his show today etc?
    No. It wouldn't be seen as gossip. It would be seen as me giving my critical opinion, like any other person does on any other forum about any other public figure.

Is it just "gossip" because it's women talking about women? Similarly, posters have been told to "put down the handbags ladies". Would something of similar gender ignorance be said to the men in the soccer forum? I suspect not.
    Also, I was told to take my concerns to the feedback forum by another mod, so I did, and guess what, that thread was locked too after only one post, my opening post.

It's just not right. Comments which are speculation about inappropriate about private lives/cheating etc are below the belt and not on. Comments discussing something a blogger has said on social media is not gossip, and honestly I'm so sick of it being put forward that way.
    I feel the moderation is excessively oppressive and restricts any genuine condsidered conversation.
    It's just unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Respectfully, the reason these threads continuously get shut down is because comments are made that could be construed as defamatory. No matter how much we have asked posters to refrain, we keep ending up back at this point. Any topic that potentially involves Boards getting sued is going to attract a lot of moderator attention.

Biko has opened a new thread to allow discussion, hopefully this one will keep its head above water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

dudara wrote: »
    Respectfully, the reason these threads continuously get shut down is because comments are made that could be construed as defamatory. No matter how much we have asked posters to refrain, we keep ending up back at this point. Any topic that potentially involves Boards getting sued is going to attract a lot of moderator attention.

Biko has opened a new thread to allow discussion, hopefully this one will keep its head above water.

Thank you for replying.
    Yes I agree some comments can be offensive and below the belt, but for the most part they seem to be few and far between. The regular posters are now familiar with what will get a thread shut down, and we know better than to respond to salacious comments. It's just a shame. I mean I'm not looking to have a character dissection on every blogger going, but surely commenting on/debating about something they've posted themselves is okay? I don't see what could be considered defamatory there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement