Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Vaping

• 09-03-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Asking for a family member who's looking to switch from smoking to vaping - so I know literally nothing about the subject. This person had some success with one of those really chip lookalike cig vapers a few years ago, but ultimately it didn't last. This time, with a better quality product, it might just stick! Is there any advice for what type of gubbins to be looking at - something geared towards beginners, cost effective, but one that provides a good quality experience. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Inviere wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Asking for a family member who's looking to switch from smoking to vaping - so I know literally nothing about the subject. This person had some success with one of those really chip lookalike cig vapers a few years ago, but ultimately it didn't last. This time, with a better quality product, it might just stick! Is there any advice for what type of gubbins to be looking at - something geared towards beginners, cost effective, but one that provides a good quality experience. Any help appreciated!

there are some really great starter kits on the market now apparently.

The Aspire PockeX seems to be the "In Thing" at the moment http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/electronic-cigarettes-starter-kits/829-aspire-pockex-aio-starter-kit.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Below is all you need to get started, it's what I recommend to everyone starting or picking it back up again.

iPower 80w (built in battery - all you need is the usb cable and adapter that comes included to charge). The battery life is amazing, it lasts at least 2-3 days, even longer depending on the usage.
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mo...press-kit.html

Nautilus Mini, (tank that screws into the battery above). I've been using these tanks ever since they came on the market and never had one leakage, best mouth to lung tank in my opinion. For the tank, all you need is coils in which you change out whenever they wear out. Mine can last up to 3-4 weeks if not longer and still get great flavour. Make sure when you have a new coil in it, stick a few drops of juice into the holes where you can see the cotton, fill up the tank with juice and let it soak for a minute. This prevents the dry hits at the start and will prolong the life of the coil.

Tank :
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/aspir...ilus-mini.html

Coils for the tank (go with the 1.8ohm coils!) : http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/clear...coil-head.html

This set up is all you need when starting. After purchasing, all you need to worry about is coils and juice. If you decide to go with that, grab yourself a few spare coils so you don't run out - that goes for juice as well!

Best of luck smile.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I'd say the biggest thing has nothing to do with the hardware, i think people give up on vaping only because they picked horrible flavours to try vaping with.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

macker33 wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest thing has nothing to do with the hardware, i think people give up on vaping only because they picked horrible flavours to try vaping with.

Dont know about that. Wouldnt so much be the flavour for me when i started but if the thing started leaking or something went wrong it would most likely get binned pretty quick and a box of smokes bought so i think a quality starter kit is the most important bit.

The pockex seems to be the "in" starter kit at the min. Have a look at the joytech aio too, bought the mother one a while back and i was quite surprised by it given its cheap price. Decent vape and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I have recently started vaping and like you knew NOTHING about it.

I got a Joyteche Aio and have found it very good. Very straight forward and reasonably priced.

If the vaping goes well for me, I might invest in a new and better one but this is ideal as a starter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The beginner devices are so much better now than a few years back. The likes of the Pockex and AIO are what I would have loved when I started. They're well priced too. I remember blowing €100 on an Ego-C starter kit about 4 years back, and it was an irritating experience. Those old atomizers that you had to fill with juice and then pretty much puncture when inserting into the battery ... eurgh ... leaks galore.

A step up from the all-in-one devices would be to look into single 18650 mod kits. The likes of Smok's AL85 or the Aspire Evo 75 kit. There's also the built in battery ranges if you don't want separate batteries and chargers, like the iPower, coolfire, Cuboid mini or Tesla 60w. Tonnes out there, look to any well known vendor site and search the kits, see what grabs your fancy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thanks for all the advice folks, in the end I bought the Aspire PockeX for the person in question, and they've gone from 15 a day to 5 in only a few days! A couple of questions if I may:

1) On average, how long are the coils to last roughly? (I know this'll depend in usage, but would you expect to get x1 10ml bottle of juice out of a coil, 2 bottles maybe?)

2) I bought a 12Mg Menthol juice to get this person started. Should the plan be to buy "weaker" juices as time goes by? (if the goal is to kick smoking completely)

3) As someone who's completely clueless, how will the new regs coming in affect the juices?

Appreciate any help!

Anybody try Heatsticks yet? I dont think they're available here yet but I've seen great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Thanks for all the advice folks, in the end I bought the Aspire PockeX for the person in question, and they've gone from 15 a day to 5 in only a few days! A couple of questions if I may:

1) On average, how long are the coils to last roughly? (I know this'll depend in usage, but would you expect to get x1 10ml bottle of juice out of a coil, 2 bottles maybe?)

2) I bought a 12Mg Menthol juice to get this person started. Should the plan be to buy "weaker" juices as time goes by? (if the goal is to kick smoking completely)

3) As someone who's completely clueless, how will the new regs coming in affect the juices?

Appreciate any help!

Im not sure exactly but recently I was told that they all have to be a certain size (the shop keeper I was talking to was selling all his juice cheap because his stock would be too big once the regulations came in) and the juices will also have some sort of warning on it. Similar to the warning on cigarettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Appreciate any help!

Answer to No.1....I have 5 tankfuls(10ml) done on one coil & it's still vaping like new...

No.2 question differs with everyone,me personally,I would use 18mg Nic strength,he will benefit more & have no cravings for a fag,the odds will be in his favour to give up smoking completely,he only needs Nicotine to replace fags.

No.3...All juices will be sold in 10ml bottles with a maximum of 18mg but their 18mg is going to be 75% weaker than the Nicotine we are using now,so this is going to be a pain in the wotsit for those who buy stock liquids.
    There are alot of Vendors that will be supplying big bottles like 100ml 200ml 500ml etc but have no Nicotine in them,you buy the Nicotine separately & mix it in with the big bottles of juice,these Nicotine bottles will be weaker & only 10ml in size.
    We are all stocking up with 72% Nicotine now which you can buy in bulk & at 72% strength & at a reasonable price.
    For your mate at the moment,buying a load of Nic would be crazy because he hasn't tried vaping yet & may not like it.
    May 20th is the deadline,he has time,a good 2 or 3 weeks vaping & he'll know if he likes it or not,he will cough a bit for the first few vapes,that's his lungs getting use to clean vapour instead of those 2000 toxins he's use to:D:D
    Ask any amount of questions,there are alot of us here to help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Handytech

Answer to No.1....I have 5 tankfuls(10ml) done on one coil & it's still vaping like new...

No.2 question differs with everyone,me personally,I would use 18mg Nic strength,he will benefit more & have no cravings for a fag,the odds will be in his favour to give up smoking completely,he only needs Nicotine to replace fags.

No.3...All juices will be sold in 10ml bottles with a maximum of 18mg but their 18mg is going to be 75% weaker than the Nicotine we are using now,so this is going to be a pain in the wotsit for those who buy stock liquids.
    There are alot of Vendors that will be supplying big bottles like 100ml 200ml 500ml etc but have no Nicotine in them,you buy the Nicotine separately & mix it in with the big bottles of juice,these Nicotine bottles will be weaker & only 10ml in size.
    We are all stocking up with 72% Nicotine now which you can buy in bulk & at 72% strength & at a reasonable price.
    For your mate at the moment,buying a load of Nic would be crazy because he hasn't tried vaping yet & may not like it.
    May 20th is the deadline,he has time,a good 2 or 3 weeks vaping & he'll know if he likes it or not,he will cough a bit for the first few vapes,that's his lungs getting use to clean vapour instead of those 2000 toxins he's use to:D:D
    Ask any amount of questions,there are alot of us here to help...

interesting about the new r
    Regs coming into effect, alot of good info here already.

Just out of interest, (off Topic) has anyone tried Nicotine Free Juice?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I only vape nicotine free, I prefer it. I don't like the taste of the nicotine in the liquids (tastes like those nicorette inhalers)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Vaping almost 5 yrs now, never had craving for cig in this time. On 0mg nicotine liquid for about two years, I think the trick is to vape non tobacco flavoured eliquid. The tobacco flavours in my opinion never came close to a cigarette. I think new vapers who think they will are disappointed and then give up. I tend to mix my own now and always mix with 50%menthol flavour. There are some very nice fruity flavours to be had.
    I use the eleaf Istick with aspire nautilus mini and never have any leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Vaping almost 5 yrs now, never had craving for cig in this time. On 0mg nicotine liquid for about two years, I think the trick is to vape non tobacco flavoured eliquid. The tobacco flavours in my opinion never came close to a cigarette. I think new vapers who think they will are disappointed and then give up. I tend to mix my own now and always mix with 50%menthol flavour. There are some very nice fruity flavours to be had.
    I use the eleaf Istick with aspire nautilus mini and never have any leaks.

Good on yer,it's nice to get passed the 5 years,I remember my first tobacco flavour 8 years ago,it was rotten,I spent a year trying all the tobacco flavours to match my Old Holborn,what a waste.
    Menthol & PG are great if somebody wants to go 0mg.
    I'm still using 18mg or 24mg if I can get it,95% of my vaping is 6mg using direct lung,I find it very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The beginner devices are so much better now than a few years back. The likes of the Pockex and AIO are what I would have loved when I started. They're well priced too. I remember blowing €100 on an Ego-C starter kit about 4 years back, and it was an irritating experience. Those old atomizers that you had to fill with juice and then pretty much puncture when inserting into the battery ... eurgh ... leaks galore.

A step up from the all-in-one devices would be to look into single 18650 mod kits. The likes of Smok's AL85 or the Aspire Evo 75 kit. There's also the built in battery ranges if you don't want separate batteries and chargers, like the iPower, coolfire, Cuboid mini or Tesla 60w. Tonnes out there, look to any well known vendor site and search the kits, see what grabs your fancy :)

:D The cheek of them when you think about it and the technology involved.

I once bought two provari mini's in a month. I think it was close to 450 euro FFS :eek:

Advertisement