Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating usage

Options
  • 09-03-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Help, I need to know how much electricity a 25w light bulb uses in an hour, in order to avoid a divorce:D How can I find out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

0.025Kwh @€;0.1776

= €0.0044 / hr

if i got my zero's correct

based on - https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/current-offers-2/sse-airtricity-standard-electricity/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

micks wrote: »
    0.025Kwh @€;0.1776

= €0.0044 / hr

if i got my zero's correct

based on - https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/current-offers-2/sse-airtricity-standard-electricity/

Thanks! How did you figure that one out! I've looked and can't find usage calculator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Put it another way it will take 40 hours (1000/25) to use one full unit of electricity at whatever the unit price is on your last bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

How to calculate electric usage cost:
    • Volts x Amps = Watts
    • Watts ÷ 1,000 = Kilowatts (kW)
    • Kilowatts (kW) x Hours of Use = Kilowatt Hours (kWh)
    • Kilowatt Hours (kWh) x kWh rate = Cost of Usage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Watts x 1,000 = Kilowatts (kW)
    Slight mistake there, fixed your post.

Simpler explanation is a unit of electricity is billed per kWh.

That means 1000 watts consumed per hour.

A 25 watt bulb consumes 25 watts per hour so it costs 25/1000 of a unit per hour.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »

Why? It worked perfectly fine OP's calculation

25 ÷ 1000 = 0.025
    0.025 x 1 = 0.025
    0.025 x (kWh rate) = cost

Another mod in the electrical forum that holds grudges. Oh joy I knew there was a reason I didn't visit here often.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Another mod in the electrical forum that holds grudges. Oh joy I knew there was a reason I didn't visit here often.

Do not post on this forum if you can not cope with anyone having the audacity to disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

• Volts x Amps = Watts
    • Watts ÷ 1,000 = Kilowatts (kW)
    • Kilowatts (kW) x Hours of Use = Kilowatt Hours (kWh)
    • Kilowatt Hours (kWh) x kWh rate = Cost of Usage

And Volts x Amps = VA
    Not watts

micks wrote: »
    And Volts x Amps = VA
    Not watts

You can't be serious. Really is that the height of your input. Wow there's no hope for some. :rolleyes:

Forget your early calculations there eh.. :eek:

Think triangle and I x A = W (power)

You're welcome.

2011 wrote: »
    Do not post on this forum if you can not cope with anyone having the audacity to disagree with you.

Disagree by all means I'm usually more wrong more than I am right but please ensure you're correct.

Clearly watts x 1000 is kilowatts but for the purposes of a calculation of kWh cost it makes no sense particular in the calculation I have posted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Disagree by all means
    I haven't disagreed with anything on this thread.

I'm usually more wrong more than I am right
    If you say so :D

Think triangle and I x A = W (power)

Really?
    Here is that very triangle:

powtrig2-copy-600x397.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

dragona wrote: »
    Help, I need to know how much electricity a 25w light bulb uses in an hour, in order to avoid a divorce:D How can I find out??

OP.Another way;
    1000watts or 1KW running for 1hour is a KWHour/KWH (unit cost displayed on your bill).
    So, 40 of your 25watt bulbs running for 1 hour = 1KWH or 1unit cost
    So, your bulb is costing; 1unit/40.........significantly less than the cost of a divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Steve wrote: »

Simpler explanation is a unit of electricity is billed per kWh.

That means 1000 watts consumed per hour.

A 25 watt bulb consumes 25 watts per hour so it costs 25/1000 of a unit per hour.

The unit of energy is a joule, a watt is a rate of energy consumption equal to one joule per second so 'watts per hour' makes no sense.

A 25w bulb consumes 25 joules of energy per second.

A 1000w (1 kW) appliance in one hour will consume 3,600 (seconds in an hour) x 1,000 (watts in a kilowatt) joules = 3.6 MJ (megajoules) = 1 kWh.

Andrea B. wrote: »
    OP.Another way;
    1000watts or 1KW running for 1hour is a KWHour/KWH (unit cost displayed on your bill).
    So, 40 of your 25watt bulbs running for 1 hour = 1KWH or 1unit cost
    So, your bulb is costing; 1unit/40.........significantly less than the cost of a divorce.

Haha I turn it on, he turns it off, and on, and off........ Might just stay on now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

dragona wrote: »
    Haha I turn it on, he turns it off, and on, and off........ Might just stay on now:D

I think you are missing the point :rolleyes: ITS THE PRINCIPLE THAT COUNTS! It may only be a small amount of electricity but you can still SAVE it :pac:

my3cents wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point :rolleyes: ITS THE PRINCIPLE THAT COUNTS! It may only be a small amount of electricity but you can still SAVE it :pac:

OMG ARE YOU MY HUSBAND:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Another mod in the electrical forum that holds grudges.

I'm not a mod here. :)

Advertisement