Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl coconuts

Options
  • 09-03-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Bought some 49 cent special coconuts from Lidl yesterday. drilled into one after food tonight and popped a straw in to drink the juice prior to breaking it open. Almost swallowed a mouthful of putrid rancid juice, retched my dinner back up in front of my kids. Only upside is I didn't let my 4 year old have the first drink, and I only swallowed a tiny bit. Feel ripped off in the most foul way, and not for the first time, but certainly the worst I've felt in a while. Where do I stand with my consumer rights here?, apart from the 49 cents refund.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

What are you thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You have the right to a refund when you return the product with the receipt showing the date you bought it.

What rights would you think you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

That's not food poisoning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

They should round up and give you back a 50 cent piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some day OP you'll actually get food poisoning and you'll look back at this and laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Have you ever had plain coconut water before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

_Brian wrote:
    Some day OP you'll actually get food poisoning and you'll look back at this and laugh.

Totally agree. I actually had it last weekend, ****ting and puking simultaneously for 24 hours and shivering on the chair like it was -50 degrees in the house with 2 blankets over me and the heat on full blast. Horrible it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you given Lidl the opportunity to repair the coconut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

_Brian wrote:

I had a dodgy oyster a few years ago. Was sick for five straight days and lost ten pounds in weight. Absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I think the only coconut here is the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This isn't even vaguely food poisoning. Will edit title when at a PC

Your right is to a refund of the product. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,482 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Totally agree. I actually had it last weekend, ****ting and puking simultaneously for 24 hours and shivering on the chair like it was -50 degrees in the house with 2 blankets over me and the heat on full blast. Horrible it was.

I very much doubt that was food poisoning either. I'm no doctor but that sounds like a typical case of the winter vomiting bug.

Cazale wrote: »
    I had a dodgy oyster a few years ago. Was sick for five straight days and lost ten pounds in weight. Absolute nightmare.

Similar here. Chicken livers that had not been frozen right when I was a student. Was very sick for several days. At the height of it my fever was so high (108F / over 42C) that I was hallucinating, talking nonsense and frothing at the mouth. In my 20 years of smoking, that was the only day I didn't smoke, say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

unkel wrote:
    I very much doubt that was food poisoning either. I'm no doctor but that sounds like a typical case of the winter vomiting bug.

Was looking it up online last weekend, apparently food poison and vomiting bug are extremely hard to tell apart, very similar symptoms. Whatever it was it was horrible, thankfully lasted only a day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

The google is a dangerous lad to be self diagnosing.

Was looking it up online last weekend, apparently food poison and vomiting bug are extremely hard to tell apart, very similar symptoms. Whatever it was it was horrible, thankfully lasted only a day

I've had the winter vomiting bug several times. Very nasty alright. But it ain't no food poisoning! And in my case the worst symptoms are usually over in about 6 hours. And fully recovered in 18-24h. And the fever is just a mild fever. I doubt I've ever been much over 104F (40C)

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

like2know4 wrote: »
    Bought some 49 cent special coconuts from Lidl yesterday. drilled into one after food tonight and popped a straw in to drink the juice prior to breaking it open. Almost swallowed a mouthful of putrid rancid juice, retched my dinner back up in front of my kids. Only upside is I didn't let my 4 year old have the first drink, and I only swallowed a tiny bit. Feel ripped off in the most foul way, and not for the first time, but certainly the worst I've felt in a while. Where do I stand with my consumer rights here?, apart from the 49 cents refund.

The adding of a child to a story is perfect for the daily mail or independent - maybe contact them as they thrive on stuff like this.

Maybe lidl should get onto the coconut factory and ask them how they made a bad coconut - at the same time they should check the avocado factory as to why I got a bad avocado a couple of weeks ago.

Surely they taste test every coconut before putting on sale - its not as if they are a totally natural product that grows on a tree and you can get the odd bad one that has had the microbes get jiggy and cause a bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - I've got tonnes of oyster related stories I could share too (and trust me when you love oysters as much as I do, there are often consequences) but this is not a thread for chat or diagnoses.

Let's focus instead on offering practical advixe to the OP

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

They should round up and give you back a 50 cent piece.

Actually they do. Or at least they have done so every time I have had to bring something back. Only thing they don't do which I find strange is, even if you paid with a card, they will refund you with cash. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Are you sure that you bought it in Lidl.
    I thought it was Aldi doing the 49c Coconuts.
    If so then you have no case against Lidl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Berberis wrote: »
    Are you sure that you bought it in Lidl.
    I thought it was Aldi doing the 49c Coconuts.
    If so then you have no case against Lidl

You beat me to it. Aldi it is

https://www.aldi.ie/c/groceries

Advertisement