Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nealons Pub being shut by Vulture Fund

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Don't get ya

It's buzzing, how anyone would think otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Del2005 wrote: »
    You're more upset about a natural phenomenon of a sea arch collapsing than people potentially loosing their jobs :confused:

Plenty of pub jobs out there, only one sea arch with millions of years of history.

And culture.

And tourism.

Employment, both direct and indirect.

Preservation of wildlife.

Which one do you think I should be more concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was in Nealons yesterday with a mate and only heard it then too. It's a shame as I always enjoyed a pint there and the open fire was lovely on cold winter nights. I wonder what new business will replace it?

I love Capel Street's quirkly, shabby chic vibe and think it has such potential that many businesses, particularly restaurants, have already tapped into. My only gripe is that hideous corner opposite Nealons that used to be a Nirvana head shop or sex shop and was burned down. It is such an eyesore but there doesn't seem to be any plans to do anything with it that I'm aware of. That really needs to be attended to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

sugarman wrote: »
    Jesus, relax.. only giving my own 2c

I walked up and down the street daily for 8 years straight going to college, and still do so regularly.

I just can't understand why people have to **** all over Dublin City. If you call someone out on it, they suddenly get super defensive about it.

The north inner city has been rough around edges for the last 100 years. People refuse to cut it some slack. Sure even Camden and Aungier St was a total kip until a few years ago. It is just because it is on the southside people seem to cut it some slack
    sugarman wrote: »

The only units on that Street doing great business, and IMO the only thing really drawing people to the street IS the likes of Pantibar, Nealons, Boars head, blacksheep etc..

Sure, Capel is basically on Henry/Mary st, but ever notice the point when you're walking down Henry st towards Capel st at which shoppers will disperse.. often turning around and walking the opposite direction? It's usually at the corner of Jervis / The church for most.

A lot of restaurants on Capel St you can get a table at eg Musahi, Brother Hubbard etc. Irish people refuse to eat authentic Chinese, so no one acknowledges the packed Chinese Restaurants on the street

Capel St is literally the end of the CBD officially. If you get to the end of a central business district of anywhere in Europe, the city starts to get a bit empty.

The biggest problem Capel St has is the perceived notion it is a kip. Even people who walk down it everyday for nearly a decade seem to think it is non-existent take-aways and Chinese phone shops....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I really hope they paint it grey, give it a name like The CapelBeerHäus written in typewriter font, have bare filament lightbulbs and exposed brickwork inside and then hire characterless egotists with beards and arm tattoos in black teeshirts to serve overrated and overpriced "speciality" booze. Dublin needs more places like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sabat wrote: »
    Dublin needs more places like that.

It does actually, you can never have enough places with a good range of craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's a pub I've often visited and I will miss it. I'm struggling to think what it could be turned into? The building is protected, internally and externally, I don't think it has much space for a kitchen which would rule out a restaurant, it's probably too small for the likes of wetherspoons to take it over, I'm really hoping that it doesn't turn into another Starbucks. That's the last thing we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

sabat wrote: »
    I really hope they paint it grey, give it a name like The CapelBeerHäus written in typewriter font, have bare filament lightbulbs and exposed brickwork inside and then hire characterless egotists with beards and arm tattoos in black teeshirts to serve overrated and overpriced "speciality" booze. Dublin needs more places like that.

I'd be quite happy for somewhere with good beer and food to replace Nealons, a pub I'd never even heard of until this thread.

How many dingy aul fellas pubs all serving the same ****e beer do we need?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There aren't that.many dingy aul fella pubs in the main commercial districts though. Nealon's was certainly neither dingy or aul fella btw.

I would doubt that Nealon's will change from being a drinking and eating place, the building really wouldnt be suitable for much else. Whether that's craft beer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

humberklog wrote: »
    There aren't that.many dingy aul fella pubs in the main commercial districts though. Nealon's was certainly neither dingy or aul fella btw.

I would doubt that Nealon's will change from being a drinking and eating place, the building really wouldnt be suitable for much else. Whether that's craft beer or not.

They said it isn't going to be a pub anymore. It is odd though because if it is a protected structure what else can they do with it without changing it a good bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'd be quite happy for somewhere with good beer and food to replace Nealons, a pub I'd never even heard of until this thread.

If you've never heard of it before how do you know it's a dingy aul fellas pub?? It's nothing of the sort!

It's a friendly pub, with people of all ages, popular with the LGBT crowd without having to be a gay bar.

It has a nice open fire. And they do proper toasties!

I also book their upstairs function room once a month and all they ask is that we buy a few drinks.

I'll struggle to find another venue as suitable.

Capel St has character and diversity. Certainly rough around the edges but full of life and activity. Exactly what you want from a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staff have told me the new owners may be continuing operation with the same staff. No guarantee as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I remember it was called the Kingsway, that was back in late 70,s . It closed down for a while, then Republicans took it over & it closed after a year or two, I moved on & that's all I know, Its nice to share :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I remember it was called the Kingsway, that was back in late 70,s . It closed down for a while, then Republicans took it over & it closed after a year or two, I moved on & that's all I know, Its nice to share :-)

Long time since I heard that name. Here's a pic of it and a later one when it was the Earl Grattan:065_Kingsway_Bar.jpg060_Earl_Grattan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Looks like it's to remain open under new management. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Popped in, some new staff. Apparently Eddie is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It'd make a lovely Starbucks.

Advertisement