Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Studies Lvl 8 bcs degree

Options
  • 09-03-2017 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

So I've been thinking about the introduction of college courses for paramedic studies.

So, it's a bachelor's degree, so you'd be more qualified on paper than DFB / NAS paramedics as they are awarded a diploma, correct?

But, graduates of such a course would still only be paramedics? They wouldn't be APs... So what exactly is the point?

It's 3/4 years but you don't come out with a job as it's just an academic course, and after 4 years you'd still only have the same practitioner level as NAS / DFB diploma holders?

And as such, even though it's a degree working abroad wouldn't be easy either? Eg Australian ambulance services will only recognise APs for employment there at a minimum, and it depends on experience and education, diploma / degree.

So the fact that you have a degree, does that qualify you in countries that have a bsc college course route?

I'm still scratching my head at exactly how it works... I know it's still new but they don't really explain a lot about it. There's still sections on the course.oage that say "coming soon".

I'm curious about how such a route would go. In countries like Australia which paramedics come exclusively from universities and there's no guarantee of a job at the end, you end up with quite a few unemployed but educated / qualified graduates.

Could such a system here oversaturate the demand for such a small workforce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Adding on to it...

There is practitioner entry that is a 1.5 year course which will give you a bsc in paramedic studies.

But again, what's the point in that? I don't think that would qualify you as an AP? So what would the benefit of it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

Adding on to it...

There is practitioner entry that is a 1.5 year course which will give you a bsc in paramedic studies.

But again, what's the point in that? I don't think that would qualify you as an AP? So what would the benefit of it be?

At skill level CAO graduates will qualify at paramedic level whereas practitioner entry is open to paramedics & advanced paramedics and their skill levels do not change.

The course goes beyond what the paramedic course teaches. In the paramedic program students learn the basic academics and essential skills to apply the clinical practice guidelines within their organisation.

In the UL course for example the first 3 months are dedicated to anatomy & physiology alone.
    The Bsc is more about evidence based practice and researching the studies, trials and papers that support or refute the skills, equipment, meds etc. that we use in our services. Understanding the science behind the CPG's and wether the evidence supports what we do for our patients is where this course stands out from the paramedic program.

It benefits you and your patients as the level of understanding of your practice is increased.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement