Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs dirt in office

Options
  • 09-03-2017 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Hi all

I'm under a lot of stress lately.

I'm in the middle of an 'unpaid' internship and there is a full time position there for me at the end of it if I perform well.

I love the work and I'm brilliant at it (if I may say so myself). There are 3 other girls in the office (all full time) and the 'head girl', who is in fact both younger and less experienced than me, has given me attitude since day one.

I have had to bite my lip as I really want to be offered permanency as I'm really good at my job, but I fear this girl will jeopardise it for me.

For example, there is a dog in the office. The dog was locked in the kitchen today so that he could do his business. When he does his business, he is allowed back into the office. I went into the kitchen to wash my cup as I was about to go on my lunch break, I noticed the dog had done his business (1 & 2), so I allowed him to run back into the office. The head girl (nasty piece of work), said 'oh put him back in, he has to do his business', and I turned around and said 'I was just about to tell you, he actually did his business' and with a big smile on her face, she sarcastically replied 'oh thank you sooo much for telling us'. Speechless, I said 'ok' and I went on my lunch.

I am so stressed out. I am an unpaid intern working my ass off and I am being spoken to like that by an employee, and in reference to cleaning up dogs dirt!

My employer called me in and asked me how I was getting on and (in the nicest way possible) I explained to him that I was loving the work and the job but that this girl seems to be deliberately giving me a tough time. I told him about the dogs dirt scenario. I was very upset by his reaction. He basically said that she is his longest staff member (2 years) and that if I can't get on with her then he fears I 'may not be suited to the company'.

I was bitterly upset when I arrived home this evening. I left a really well paid job to do this internship as it's in a niche sector that I am interested in. I am working two months unpaid, and I have a girl like this giving me grief because I won't clean up after the dog.

Another thing - there are poo stains all over the carpet in the office, and I eat out every day as it turns me off my lunch. Although this should bother me, it doesn't, because I don't mind sucking it up and just eating outside on a bench or whatever, but this girls attitude is very tough to take and I'm in a position where I cannot speak up and fear I may not be offered permanacy because she doesn't like me and she seems to have some sort of hold over the MD.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

HW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

The dog ****s in the office? Am i reading this correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm under a lot of stress lately.

I'm in the middle of an 'unpaid' internship and there is a full time position there for me at the end of it if I perform well.

I love the work and I'm brilliant at it (if I may say so myself). There are 3 other girls in the office (all full time) and the 'head girl', who is in fact both younger and less experienced than me, has given me attitude since day one.

I have had to bite my lip as I really want to be offered permanency as I'm really good at my job, but I fear this girl will jeopardise it for me.

For example, there is a dog in the office. The dog was locked in the kitchen today so that he could do his business. When he does his business, he is allowed back into the office. I went into the kitchen to wash my cup as I was about to go on my lunch break, I noticed the dog had done his business (1 & 2), so I allowed him to run back into the office. The head girl (nasty piece of work), said 'oh put him back in, he has to do his business', and I turned around and said 'I was just about to tell you, he actually did his business' and with a big smile on her face, she sarcastically replied 'oh thank you sooo much for telling us'. Speechless, I said 'ok' and I went on my lunch.

I am so stressed out. I am an unpaid intern working my ass off and I am being spoken to like that by an employee, and in reference to cleaning up dogs dirt!

My employer called me in and asked me how I was getting on and (in the nicest way possible) I explained to him that I was loving the work and the job but that this girl seems to be deliberately giving me a tough time. I told him about the dogs dirt scenario. I was very upset by his reaction. He basically said that she is his longest staff member (2 years) and that if I can't get on with her then he fears I 'may not be suited to the company'.

I was bitterly upset when I arrived home this evening. I left a really well paid job to do this internship as it's in a niche sector that I am interested in. I am working two months unpaid, and I have a girl like this giving me grief because I won't clean up after the dog.

Another thing - there are poo stains all over the carpet in the office, and I eat out every day as it turns me off my lunch. Although this should bother me, it doesn't, because I don't mind sucking it up and just eating outside on a bench or whatever, but this girls attitude is very tough to take and I'm in a position where I cannot speak up and fear I may not be offered permanacy because she doesn't like me and she seems to have some sort of hold over the MD.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

HW

What sort of person would let a dog pi$$ and $hit in a kitchen. Id be looking for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Why is there a dog in the office ? Is he an assistance dog ?

Well I wouldn't have said it to him personally if I really wanted to stay. Sometimes you have to suck it up as hard as it may seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

These problems will still exist even if you get a job in the end. Do you really think you will be any less stressed if your an actual employee? I'd definitely look for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just don't go in tomorrow or ever.
    Why would you want to be made permanent in such a dysfunctional place?

• Advertisement

sadie1502 wrote: »

Well I wouldn't have said it to him personally if I really wanted to stay. Sometimes you have to suck it up as hard as it may seem.

Ah no. There are somethings that really do cross the line.
    Think about it.

A dog is allowed pi$$ & $hit in a kitchen. Would you tolerate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

sadie1502 wrote: »

This is what others have said to me. It has just been one thing after another with this girl and today felt like the icing on the cake. I needed to get it off my chest but fear it may have ruined my chances with permanency (even if unjustified).

Another example - I asked this girl if she knew of a coffee shop in the area, she said she did. I told her that my friend said it was meant to be lovely and she said 'I go there sometimes, it's nice'. I asked her how far it was and she told me it was near some train station. Unfamiliar with the area, I asked her if she thought I would have enough time to go on my lunch break and she snapped back 'I just told you that I often go there didn't I?' in a seriously bitchy tone.

She could have been frequenting there after work on the way home for all I knew. Such a tyrant.

And yes - the dog sh*ts in the office. He's a pup so isn't trained yet. Bizarre situation, I know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is the dog hers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Why is there a dog pissing and ****ting in an office?

Cazale wrote: »
    Why is there a dog pissing and ****ting in an office?

Because its an offence if it sh1ts on the road!

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    These problems will still exist even if you get a job in the end. Do you really think you will be any less stressed if your an actual employee? I'd definitely look for another job.

Hi eviltwin - as I said it is a very niche industry. I will not find another job like this. If I were to be made permanent, at least then I will be able to speak up for myself, whereas atm, it's all 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That sounds like a horrendous place to work!

On a separate H&S issue,what sort of environment is the place? I'm pretty sure it's against H&S to have a loose dog in an office that pisses and shots everywhere.

If you fell over the dog or slipped on its "business" you'd probably be out of work for a while, paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Run away as fast as you can don't look back... who brings a pup to work? Who expects employees to look after their pup in work? Who has to put up with dogs **** on a carpet in work? The place must stink... I couldn't work there no matter what...and especially for free

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Double post

beertons wrote: »
    Is the dog hers?

No it belongs to the MD but we've to look after it as the MD is rarely in the office.

I don't mind the dog, in fact I love the dog. But I will not take orders to clean up dog sh*t especially as an 'unpaid' intern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Wtf. Am I the only one that is picturing The Day Today sketch when the management consultant brought a pig into the office?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just be aware that at the end of your internship, they may put you on a 6 month contract, so not permanent. Have they explicitly said to you there's a permanent job for you once you complete the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi eviltwin - as I said it is a very niche industry. I will not find another job like this. If I were to be made permanent, at least then I will be able to speak up for myself, whereas atm, it's all 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir'.

In that case, if you're determined to see it through to permanency,you now know the rules of engagement. It is a retry mental set up but if you want to see the internship through to be made permanent then you just have to suck it up, as unpalatable as that is.

It's a sh*te situation and no mistake bit if you're sure this is your one route into an area you want to work in, then you work with what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Craziest office ever. Bizarre. Must be a terrible operation nowhere I have ever worked allowed a dog in the office even a well trained one that will go outside.
    As a side note, that's a terrible way to train a dog. I have a 2 year old dog and think she **** inside twice only as a pup when we were caught out, this dog will think it's normal to **** inside now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The MD allows his dog relieve itself in the staff kitchen. Think about it. I'd say there's a few health violations there that would have harsh punishments.

antodeco wrote: »
    Have they explicitly said to you there's a permanent job for you once you complete the internship?

I was casually told last week that I will be offered a full time position as I'm 'doing a great job', but events turned when I brought this up earlier. He was very taken aback and said that the company may not be for me if I cannot get on with the Rottweiler (and I'm not referring to the dog!).

If your MD is on boards id say he'll recognise himself.
    Cos I guarantee there is no other place in Ireland where an animal sh1ts in the kitchen.

Wouldn't even happen in Dubalin Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Run a mile.

This has me flipping livid for a whole host of reasons. Not least being that this gives having a dog in the office a bad name. Locking the dog in the kitchen(the kitchen of all places to add insult to injury) for he/she to do her business is fupped up to begin with.

I've worked in offices where dogs were welcome and it actually is a great stress soother, however the unwritten, unspoken, universally acknowledged rule went a long the lines of "your dogs business is your business, when nature calls you go for walkies and if accidents happen, you clean it up straightaway". It was an unwritten, unspoken rule because well, you really shouldn't need to point that out to anyone.

All that aside, OP, the country is back to full employment, unemployment is down around 6% which is about as low as it will get. Why in the hell are you an unpaid intern? I know you said its a niche area, but usually niche area workers get paid a premium, not work for free. Start job hunting. That office situation is not going to change anytime soon, especially with the MDs reaction to your comment about the girl. That smacks of unprofessional-ism. "Shes my longest serving staff member". Two years? No surprises there. I've had cartons of cereal Ive had a longer relationship with than 2 years.

Whose dog is it anyway? Is it the "head girls"? Or does it belong to the MDor whatever and its the head girls job to care for the dog and her approach is lock him/her in the kitchen?

Start job hunting. Land a salaried position. Then tip off the ISPCA and the HSA to the goings on in that office.

I know you said its a niche area, can you give us a rough idea of the area? So far all we know is you are working in an office. Maybe a boardsie can suggest a better role for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, run and run fast. The company is two years old, the MD keeps a dog in the office and it ****s inside, the longest serving member of staff is younger than you and a right bitch?

This company is heading one way and that is for the rocks. Nothing even remotely professional about it. Believe me when I say that if it is ridiculous on one end, it will be throughout.

Niche or not, you are worth more than that. They won't give you a permanent job and they are taking the piss now.

For the record, if you do go back in and the puppy dirties the kitchen again, say nothing and head out for lunch. NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

For example, there is a dog in the office.
    I'm going to assume your story is true as the details read like a wind-up :)

Anyhow, if the office dog isn't a guide dog and if you're not working at a dogs' home, a vet or a zoo, then there should be no dogs in the office. Your employer has a duty of care towards you - under which they are required by law to provide you with a safe, clean workplace. The MD or senior staff member seemingly expecting you to scrape up dogshit off the floor is simply beyond belief.

I'd take a few photos, then resign and inform the ISPCA and the HSA as what they're doing represents a nasty health hazard to employees as well as cruelty to the dog concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

To be honest, this is my third attempt to try to type out some suggestions as how to deal with your Horrible Bosses in order for you to hopefully get what you want from the job...
    But then all I can see and smell is dog sh!t and pi$$ in the kitchen area, and its just Nnnoooooo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

robindch wrote: »
    I'm going to assume your story is true as the details read like a wind-up :)

Anyhow, if the office dog isn't a guide dog and if you're not working at a dogs' home, a vet or a zoo, then there should be no dogs in the office. Your employer has a duty of care towards you - under which they are required by law to provide you with a safe, clean workplace. The MD or senior staff member seemingly expecting you to scrape up dogshit off the floor is simply beyond belief.

I'd take a few photos, then resign and inform the ISPCA and the HSA as what they're doing represents a nasty health hazard to employees as well as cruelty to the dog concerned.

While it's a bizarre situation if the pup is quite young it's not going to go outside so there's no cruelty involved.

• Advertisement

PraxisPete wrote: »
    While it's a bizarre situation if the pup is quite young it's not going to go outside so there's no cruelty involved.

Please dont start defending this fukt up situation.

Advertisement