Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs dirt in office

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

As a matter of interest where does who ever job it is to clean up after the dog , dispose of the dogs crap ? The Kitchen bin ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Heat_Wave wrote:
    I was casually told last week that I will be offered a full time position as I'm 'doing a great job', but events turned when I brought this up earlier. He was very taken aback and said that the company may not be for me if I cannot get on with the Rottweiler (and I'm not referring to the dog!).

Leaving aside the dog issue you appear to have a problem with this girl and that's not going to work out.

Whether you like it or not she's your senior. How do you think that's going to change by you being made permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, even if you get a full time job at the end of the internship - there's no guarantee it will be permanent. It could just be a full-time six-month contact.

And even if it's permanent (sic) - you will still be on probation for the first year. And they can restructure and make you redundant with no compensation for another year after that.

So really it's another two years before you have any meaningful rights.

Uemployment is now below 7%. There is NO EXCUSE for unpaid interships any more.

Especially not in places that have animals ****ting in the kitchen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod:

Thread closed at OP's request

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Re-opened on request of OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Any updates OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Donal55 wrote: »
    Any updates OP?

OP killed the dog, but slipped in sh*t on his way out of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I was bitterly upset when I arrived home this evening. I left a really well paid job to do this internship as it's in a niche sector that I am interested in. I am working two months unpaid, and I have a girl like this giving me grief because I won't clean up after the dog.

I am not getting the real picture here, you left a well paid job 2 months ago to do an internship. How does that even happen?

After leaving the well paid job you found out that the new company have a dog in the office that ****s and pisses around the place, and the corporate solution is to lock it in the kitchen until it performs.

You do not seem to get on with the person in charge, you had a meeting with the boss and told him this.

I am afraid you appear to be extremely naive, in your attitude to work, your colleagues, your job retention prospects, and your own personal health and safety.

I'd be reporting the place to whatever organisation organised your internship, as to its unsuitability as a work environment, take pictures of the dog **** on the floor if you have to.

I hope the experience as an intern was worth it, if for nothing else other than you gained some experience on what not to say to the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Donal55 wrote: »
    Ah no. There are somethings that really do cross the line.
    Think about it.

A dog is allowed pi$$ & $hit in a kitchen. Would you tolerate it?

Well without stating the obvious clearly the dog shouldn't be allowed to **** in the kitchen thats obvious.

I'm trying to figure out why there is a dog in work and are they in a massive building top floor or why can't the dog be let out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I know a local company here that sells dog friendly toys and safety products I've been in there and the workers can bring their dogs. They're all dog lovers and have a decking area to let them out. A friend had to call in for something once and someone's dog bit her on the arse lol!
    We're involved with a dog charity and they've been good to us, hence the reasons for our visits. Lovely people but you'd have to be a dog lover. I'd think nothing of cleaning up after the dog but the girl's attitude stinks. My sister's in a similar situation. Left a job for another. Not being trained properly, ridiculous backlog to compete and a horrible girl over her. .and the boss had a similar attitude to yours when she spoke to him about it . No way would she stick it, if unpaidl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As this poster correctly predicted, my internship was terminated, having worked for 8 weeks unpaid, and having only been told two weeks ago that I would be offered a full-time position as I’m ‘doing a great job’.

Before I go on to give my experience, I have since done the groundwork, and have gotten in contact with three past interns, and it turns out they all had their internship terminated, and it is 100% clear now that this company use interns as free labour. I do not believe there was ever a position available for me.

It is a small company (only two years old), consisting of 6 people. It is located in a small building, on the second (top) floor of another company. When the dog runs around and barks, the company downstairs can hear.

During my final two weeks, I noticed that both my manager and their partner were acting very oddly around me. They called me in, and they asked me ‘what exactly have you done in the past 14 days?’. I did a serious amount in 14 days, and they know it. This was a total contradiction to the previous week, where they told me that I was doing a great job.

Their behaviour was very off, and deep down I had a feeling that they were trying to ‘push me out’. A week later, I was called in by them and I was let go, in a horrific manner which left me crying as I walked out the door. I was informed that ultimately I was not a ‘good fit’. I was ‘too quiet’ for the office, and my work was only ‘just OK’ (despite being told it was excellent all along, and I myself know it was excellent as internal data spoke for itself). I admit, I was a very quiet employee. I was surrounded by big personalities. However this should not be a problem. I asked them ‘what is wrong with me being quiet by nature, if I put my head down and do the work?’ and they just said ‘we want a chatty, sociable office’ etc. I was then told ‘if we were to make you permanent, we wouldn’t even be offering you €25k now, you’re only worth €20k, and that’s being generous’ (having being told the salary was €25k in the interview, and in my meeting with the MD only two weeks ago). Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

I would just like to know if I have any comeback on any of this, and if there is any action whatsoever which I can take?

They are a well renowned company for those who are interested in this specific sector, however I have being told that they are not respected within the industry, and they are where they are purely because they generate revenue for other establishments.

As they are only two years in the business, people are blissfully unaware of what they are doing – hiring interns and promising the world to them, and after two months, they let them go – having not given them a cent or an ounce of credit for their work.

They got a lot out of me. Ideas, hard-work, and contacts.

Luckily, I have already found part-time work. However this time two months ago I was in a very well paid, and secure job. I do not regret leaving said job, as my heart was not in the industry. I took a huge risk, and it did not pay off.

As I said, I would love to know if there is anything I can do here? I don’t want the job back, not in a million years, but I think people in the industry should be made aware of what is going on in this company, and future interns should be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just move on with your life. You are better off out of their.

I hope you had a big ****e in the kitchen yourself before you left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Name and shame maybe but companies might see you as a potential trouble-maker then. Not that you are but you don't know how potential employers would see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What sort of 'office' is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

As this poster correctly predicted, my internship was terminated, having worked for 8 weeks unpaid, and having only been told two weeks ago that I would be offered a full-time position as I’m ‘doing a great job’.

Before I go on to give my experience, I have since done the groundwork, and have gotten in contact with three past interns, and it turns out they all had their internship terminated, and it is 100% clear now that this company use interns as free labour. I do not believe there was ever a position available for me.

It is a small company (only two years old), consisting of 6 people. It is located in a small building, on the second (top) floor of another company. When the dog runs around and barks, the company downstairs can hear.

During my final two weeks, I noticed that both my manager and their partner were acting very oddly around me. They called me in, and they asked me ‘what exactly have you done in the past 14 days?’. I did a serious amount in 14 days, and they know it. This was a total contradiction to the previous week, where they told me that I was doing a great job.

Their behaviour was very off, and deep down I had a feeling that they were trying to ‘push me out’. A week later, I was called in by them and I was let go, in a horrific manner which left me crying as I walked out the door. I was informed that ultimately I was not a ‘good fit’. I was ‘too quiet’ for the office, and my work was only ‘just OK’ (despite being told it was excellent all along, and I myself know it was excellent as internal data spoke for itself). I admit, I was a very quiet employee. I was surrounded by big personalities. However this should not be a problem. I asked them ‘what is wrong with me being quiet by nature, if I put my head down and do the work?’ and they just said ‘we want a chatty, sociable office’ etc. I was then told ‘if we were to make you permanent, we wouldn’t even be offering you €25k now, you’re only worth €20k, and that’s being generous’ (having being told the salary was €25k in the interview, and in my meeting with the MD only two weeks ago). Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

I would just like to know if I have any comeback on any of this, and if there is any action whatsoever which I can take?

They are a well renowned company for those who are interested in this specific sector, however I have being told that they are not respected within the industry, and they are where they are purely because they generate revenue for other establishments.

As they are only two years in the business, people are blistfully unaware of what they are doing – hiring interns and promising the world to them, and after two months, they let them go – having not given them a cent or an ounce of credit for their work.

They got a lot out of me. Ideas, hard-work, and contacts.

Luckily, I have already found part-time work. However this time two months ago I was in a very well paid, and secure job. I do not regret leaving said job, as my heart was not in the industry. I took a huge risk, and it did not pay off.

As I said, I would love to know if there is anything I can do here? I don’t want the job back, not in a million years, but I think people in the industry should be made aware of what is going on in this company, and future interns should be warned.

Wow, that's appalling.

What general industry is it in? This is really poor form - certainly report to any organisation that is arranging internships in the company.

From your own point of view you should try and get yourself a mentor. That is a person that you can chat about your work and decisions. It is difficult to pre empt these but, in hindsight, you were able to find out about how previous interns had got on after it was too late for you.

It is water under the bridge but in general it is way better to gradually move into an area that you want to go to from an existing job than especially going back to the bottom of the ladder with an unpaid internship.

The MD of that company is a complete jerk as he obviously made promises that (from your post) never intended to fulfil and would have known you were leaving a full time job. The girl that was your senior is just a bitch and a product of the system that the MD fosters.

I dont know whether the Health & Safety authority would be interested in the dog situation but, if I thought I could nail them on it I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Website of the health and safety authority:
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/

jimd2 wrote: »
    Wow, that's appalling.

What general industry is it in? This is really poor form.

I dont know whether the Health & Safety authority would be interested in the dog situation but, if I thought I could nail them on it I would.

It's in the food/advertising industry. Food lovers can probably guess, but I don't want to mention names. I do not fear being indentified from this post, as I believe people should stand up for themselves. As embarrassing as it is for me having to tell friends and family that I am now unemployed at 26, I believe it will all have been worthwhile if it prevents the same thing happening to another oblivious intern.

I will try and hunt down the landlord of said building.

On a tax related issue - they offer commission to staff who bring in new clients. They put this commission down as mileage, so that the staff don't get tax deducted. I can possibly report this to Revenue.

I am considering leaving a review on their Facebook page, as they cannot edit, delete or respond to this. If I go ahead and write one, it will be dignified, and simply a warning to future interns. Would this be advisable?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

It's in the food/advertising industry. Food lovers can probably guess, but I don't want to mention names. I do not fear being indentified from this post, as I believe people should stand up for themselves. As embarrassing as it is for me having to tell friends and family that I am now unemployed at 26, I believe it will all have been worthwhile if it prevents the same thing happening to another oblivious intern.

I will try and hunt down the landlord of said building.

On a tax related issue - they offer commission to staff who bring in new clients. They put this commission down as mileage, so that the staff don't get tax deducted. I can possibly report this to Revenue.

I am considering leaving a review on their Facebook page, as they cannot edit, delete or respond to this. If I go ahead and write one, it will be dignified, and simply a warning to future interns. Would this be advisable?

While I would love to say Yes, don't do anything that could make yourself identifiable or in any way affect your own future job prospects or career path. That is your main concern and priority.

If you can get someone else to make that posting go ahead but, remember that you may still want to get into that general industry and a lot of industries in Ireland are incestuous and managers in various companies could be friends or in contact anyway. They may then make up stories about you to justify their behaviour and it would be impossible for you to fight.

In general I would leave it a month or two before doing anything and make sure it's not traceabl back to you unless you have moved completely away from the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

I would leave, really its not a place for you, you aren't happy now and it won't get better, you already think you have ruined your chances of a job there, the boss isn't on your side and has told you he is content with the girl and the dog in so many words, the stress isn't worth any job, I'm a granny to 4 girls and a mother to 4 girls, I would tell them the same, stress makes you ill, plays on your mind, and the fact you put it on here shows you are not leaving it at the office but taking it home with you and worrying,,,be kind to yourself,,,

shel64 wrote: »
    I would leave, really its not a place for you, you aren't happy now and it won't get better, you already think you have ruined your chances of a job there, the boss isn't on your side and has told you he is content with the girl and the dog in so many words, the stress isn't worth any job, I'm a granny to 4 girls and a mother to 4 girls, I would tell them the same, stress makes you ill, plays on your mind, and the fact you put it on here shows you are not leaving it at the office but taking it home with you and worrying,,,be kind to yourself,,,

I was let go. Update on page 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Absolutely do not post anything derogatory on social media or anywhere else unless you want this following you for your career. It comes across unbelievably petty and unprofessional, no matter how true it is.

Be positive to other people in the industry about your experience there, talk about what you learned and how you are using your time there to help move into this new industry. Pretend it was always your plan to stay there for a short time, and do everything you can to get a new full-time job as soon as possible.

If your part-time job isn't related to the industry in any way, make sure to do something else (online training, volunteering) that shows you are serious about the change, and that you have a plan on how you intend to achieve it.

In a few years you can probably delete the internship from your CV if you'd rather not be associated with the company anymore (if they're that notorious). Good luck, it'll be fine.

• Sure in my office we have a bunch of monkeys who love nothing more than flinging their s#it around..............oh wait no my bad that just my coworkers !!!!!!

I may be the only one here to see that what the OP is saying is not making any sense

You said you left a well paid job, to take up this internship, you cannot avail of an internship unless you have been in receipt of any one of various types of social welfare payment for more than 3 months or 78 days or more in the previous 6 months, AFAIK you cannot leave a job to take up a training place as an intern.

You started this thread on the 09/03, things moved very quickly, from them telling you were sure to get a job, to them telling you you were not worth their starting salary of €25k, to the dog mess and the other worker treating you unfairly, to them effectively sacking you.

There appears to be more to this story than meets the eye.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobBridge-Interns.aspx#q3

I may be the only one here to see that what the OP is saying is not making any sense

You said you left a well paid job, to take up this internship, you cannot avail of an internship unless you have been in receipt of any one of various types of social welfare payment for more than 3 months or 78 days or more in the previous 6 months, AFAIK you cannot leave a job to take up a training place as an intern.

You started this thread on the 09/03, things moved very quickly, from them telling you were sure to get a job, to them telling you you were not worth their starting salary of €25k, to the dog mess and the other worker treating you unfairly, to them effectively sacking you.

This has nothing to do with social welfare. I don't know if you are thinking of something else, like an apprenticeship scheme through Fás or something. This is completely different.

And things did progress very fast in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

, you cannot avail of an internship unless you have been in receipt of any one of various types of social welfare payment for more than 3 months or 78 days or more in the previous 6 months, AFAIK you cannot leave a job to take up a training place as an intern.

Yes you can.

All you cannot do is get the dole at the same time.

The OP was working unpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I think you're thinking of JobBridge, which is a social welfare scheme. People do internships all the time that have nothing to do with social welfare.

This has nothing to do with social welfare.
    And things did progress very fast in there.
    Yes you can.
    All you cannot do is get the dole at the same time.
    The OP was working unpaid.
    I think you're thinking of JobBridge, which is a social welfare scheme. People do internships all the time that have nothing to do with social welfare.

Stands corrected on the internship issue. Thanks.
    I still can't understand the logic of giving up paid employment to take up a non paid role with no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd say the company are very good at selling a fairytale dream role at the end of it. Probably get an extra head free all year round from doing similar, just recycle when it comes to the 'permanent' part.

I'll be very honest, I was promised free meals in upmarket restaurants, overnight stays in 5* hotels, opportunities to travel, opportunities to attend events etc.

We attended two events, and not one other promise occurred.

I was told I was being made permanent on 25k. I was then let go the following week and was told 'you're not worth 20k'.

I was told I'd be brought out for a meal with the team for my birthday. This did not happen.

I was told I'd be reimbursed for certain expenses. This did not happen.

I was told I'd be given a voucher. This did not happen.

They did not adhere to one single thing they promised me, and now I am waiting to start a part time job until I find the right full time job for me. The whole thing is disgusting and I would love if there was 'anything' I could do, anything at all. People should not be exploited like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I'll be very honest, I was promised free meals in upmarket restaurants, overnight stays in 5* hotels, opportunities to travel, opportunities to attend events etc.

We attended two events, and not one other promise occurred.

I was told I was being made permanent on 25k. I was then let go the following week and was told 'you're not worth 20k'.

I was told I'd be brought out for a meal with the team for my birthday. This did not happen.

I was told I'd be reimbursed for certain expenses. This did not happen.

I was told I'd be given a voucher. This did not happen.

They did not adhere to one single thing they promised me, and now I am waiting to start a part time job until I find the right full time job for me. The whole thing is disgusting and I would love if there was 'anything' I could do, anything at all. People should not be exploited like this.

But didn't you give up a job to go to these?
    The dole office didn't force you down this route.

Advertisement