Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs dirt in office

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Donal55 wrote: »
    But didn't you give up a job to go to these?
    The dole office didn't force you down this route.

I think you are confused. I was in a completely different industry beforehand. I left, and I took a risk, in order to return to the industry where my passion lies.

I have never received social welfare, so am not sure what your above comment means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If you want a job in that sector, if the company has as bad a reputation as you say and if you're as good at your job as you say...then I'de send a CV and cover letter to each one of their customers offering your services to them.

Apart from that, do not post anything on social media as you can be sued, as well as dirtying your bib for future employment prospects in that sector.

You'll meet dickhead, nasty people like that all your life, time to get used to it. You can spread the word verbally about your experiences, but don't get vindictive or nasty, stick to the truth. It tends to come out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

If you were my daughter I would tell you to GROW UP
    I've had a quick read through some of your previous posts and you seem to have, like most of us a few issues, its good you have a big impression of yourself and your capabilities but you must prove this to your bosses before you can progress. Life in the workplace can be stressful for all of us so don't feel you have been singled out. Previous poster who recommended you get a Mentor is good advice - 2 heads are better than one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I think you are confused. I was in a completely different industry beforehand. I left, and I took a risk, in order to return to the industry where my passion lies.

I have never received social welfare, so am not sure what your above comment means.

No. I don't mean to say you're on the dole, what I meant was you were not forced to go to this crowd, ie via jobsbridge, gateway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Previous poster who recommended you get a Mentor is good advice - 2 heads are better than one !

Not sure what you mean by issues, wouldn't agree with that at all.

Agree re the mentor. Will definitely be exploring that idea, thanks.

• Advertisement

Yes you are a good person, unfortunately you have come across some nasty people.
    Hope you can find an employer that appreciates your worth and rewards you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Donal55 wrote: »
    No. I don't mean to say you're on the dole, what I meant was you were not forced to go to this crowd, ie via jobsbridge, gateway etc.

Loads of organisations use interns. For some industries they are the only way into the "trade", you have a degree but no experience, the vast majority are legit and a lot will pay. A few companies, and our government, use them as free labour, the OP picked the wrong company
    If you were my daughter I would tell you to GROW UP
    I've had a quick read through some of your previous posts and you seem to have, like most of us a few issues, its good you have a big impression of yourself and your capabilities but you must prove this to your bosses before you can progress. Life in the workplace can be stressful for all of us so don't feel you have been singled out. Previous poster who recommended you get a Mentor is good advice - 2 heads are better than one !

A company that lets a dog sh!t in the kitchen and has abused the last two interns in the same way and you are blaming the OP!

Not blaming the OP just trying to shock her into moving on
    she's in an unfortunate situation but needs to see beyond present
    employer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not blaming the OP just trying to shock her into moving on
    she's in an unfortunate situation but needs to see beyond present
    employer

They've already fired her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'll be very honest, I was promised free meals in upmarket restaurants, overnight stays in 5* hotels, opportunities to travel, opportunities to attend events etc.

We attended two events, and not one other promise occurred.

I was told I was being made permanent on 25k. I was then let go the following week and was told 'you're not worth 20k'.

I was told I'd be brought out for a meal with the team for my birthday. This did not happen.

I was told I'd be reimbursed for certain expenses. This did not happen.

I was told I'd be given a voucher. This did not happen.

They did not adhere to one single thing they promised me, and now I am waiting to start a part time job until I find the right full time job for me. The whole thing is disgusting and I would love if there was 'anything' I could do, anything at all. People should not be exploited like this.

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is! An awful experience for you but a valuable life lesson.

Honestly I think the best thing is to take the high road, dust yourself off and learn from the experience. Negative Facebook reviews no matter how well written always look petty in my opinion and could be read by future employers as you being at fault/no good at the job as it's out of context.

An unpaid internship looks good on a CV if you can show how you developed skills/learned about the industry etc. So work on your CV and learn to confidently explain how you to decided to leave a paid job and work unpaid for 2 months to get experience and you learned XYZ while there. Use this experience as a building block to getting to where you want to be rather than a road block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I am considering leaving a review on their Facebook page, as they cannot edit, delete or respond to this. If I go ahead and write one, it will be dignified, and simply a warning to future interns. Would this be advisable?

What a sh!tty experience OP. Agree with the others re just leaving it and moving on. You can report them to the HSE for the dog issue. The Facebook review is ill advised and pointless, they could easily just delete it and all it will do is make you look petty. Or am I missing something?

Also, I couldn't agree more with the poster that talked about finding the positives in the internship. How you spin it is up to you. At least you've gotten a foot in the door and some relevant industry experience! As much as I'd love to tell you to name and shame (I'm super curious now!), the industry sounds really niche and I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

First of all, Internships can work for the Internees. Like actual jobs, some don't pan out as desired.

On reading the OP's update, and the swift change in the attitude from the MD, it would indicate that the OP's post was recognised (it was almost certain to be considering the unusual and explicit details revealed) and the MD told. So, the reason the OP was let go was most likely for airing dirty laundry.

But, to be honest - it looks like they did you a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

She's only there 8 weeks, doing a great job... If they were that way inclined they could have strung her along for months more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First of all, Internships can work for the Internees.

They can work for some internees - usually those that have family or other resources to fall back on. They tend to promote inequality - so those from wealthy and comfortable families can take these jobs to break into industries that those who rely on income to live/eat can't.

They can work for some internees - usually those that have family or other resources to fall back on. They tend to promote inequality - so those from wealthy and comfortable families can take these jobs to break into industries that those who rely on income to live/eat can't.

I started off in an industry that paid less than social welfare - it was the done thing. I had zero connections and found it very tough to get into. It worked out very well for me and quite a number of my friends that were in similar positions.

As I've pointed out before and not wanting to derail the thread... People seem okay with the concept of spending years in University, but not appreciate that you will get an additional education as an intern. It's not for everybody, but it does work well for some.

I started off in an industry that paid less than social welfare - it was the done thing. I had zero connections and found it very tough to get into. It worked out very well for me and quite a number of my friends that were in similar positions.
    How did you manage to pay your own rent and food on less that social welfare?

How did you manage to pay your own rent and food on less that social welfare?

Hah! Very hard. I lived in a place that's now boarded up. But, my then girlfriend (now wife) had a temp job and we managed. But, when we went shopping we brought a calculator with us so we knew we wouldn't go over our budget :pac: Ah, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I started off in an industry that paid less than social welfare - it was the done thing.

Yup .. but at least it paid.

Many doing apprenticeships would also get paid less than social welfare, too.

Unpaid internships are a whole different thing though. IMHO everyone should simply refuse to do them now that unemployment is back to minimal.

There's no company worth working for that cannot afford to pay minimum wage.

But, my then girlfriend (now wife) had a temp job and we managed.

I guess that would fall in the category of 'family resources to fall back on' that I mentioned earlier.

• Advertisement

I guess that would fall in the category of 'family resources to fall back on' that I mentioned earlier.

Maybe... but, if I had to I would have git a min relevant job, spared up and then entered the industry.

Maybe... but, if I had to I would have git a min relevant job, spared up and then entered the industry.

Advertisement