Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan road/cuffesgrange roadworks

Options
  • 10-03-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Can anyone shed any light /confirm what is happening with the roadworks out the Callan road/cuffesgrange?from what I can see are they taking the bends out of the road from cuffesgrange in?maybe I'm wrong??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yes, they're fixing the bad bends, the poor speed van guy will be out of job:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102044134

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was on the ringroad on Kilkenny yesterday evening around 4.30 and the tailbacks caused by this work were unreal on the Callan Rd roundabout, they badly needed a Gardai or something on the Roundabout as it was even causing problems for people trying to get off the ringroad and into Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Their taking the bends out? Will the speed limit go up I wonder? (link won't work on my phone in work)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I was on the ringroad on Kilkenny yesterday evening around 4.30 and the tailbacks caused by this work were unreal on the Callan Rd roundabout, they badly needed a Gardai or something on the Roundabout as it was even causing problems for people trying to get off the ringroad and into Kilkenny

There's a diversion sign out the Kells road which no-one seems to be following.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's a diversion sign out the Kells road which no-one seems to be following.

Only sign I spotted was to do with no HGV's via Callan road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

hi5 wrote: »
    Yes, they're fixing the bad bends, the poor speed van guy will be out of job:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102044134

The bastard is pitching his tent in the Callan road now. One particular place illegally :mad:

They are too lazy to remove the traffic cones to let traffic flow freely at night. Easier to leave needless traffic lights stopping cars unnecessarily..

The bastard is pitching his tent in the Callan road now. One particular place illegally :mad:

where they parking now?

where they parking now?

They park on the left on the way into town just after Holdens house ( no camera signs ). Also where P Hogan does the bark mulsh and on the opposite side of the road,heading towards callan at the farmyard in the dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I see the speed limit has gone down to 50kph from the callan rd. roundabout until
    just before the Grange inn where it changes to 60kph.It then changes to 100kph from the grange inn onward.
    Haven't seen the camera van there since they changed the speed limits but I would think he would have a field day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Road works will be going all the way into ring road, will be bicycles lanes all the way out to Cuffsgrange, they are not just removing two bends. It's a whole new lay out all the way in .

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I think it's a pure scandal that there is two sets of temporary traffic lights between the ring road and Tinnypark. Would it not have been possible to complete on job before starting the other so only needing one set of lights at a time?

I think it's a pure scandal that there is two sets of temporary traffic lights between the ring road and Tinnypark. Would it not have been possible to complete on job before starting the other so only needing one set of lights at a time?

Honestly I don't care if it takes 4 sets, there are plenty of alternatives routes and if more sets means they get more of it done faster then it's worth it.

Honestly I don't care if it takes 4 sets, there are plenty of alternatives routes and if more sets means they get more of it done faster then it's worth it.

What alternatives are there if you're driving an artic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There are indeed lots of viable alternatives to avoid these- the Kells road as they have signposted is not too bad, you could take the Ballycallan road to get to Callan/Cuffesgrange, or you could take the N10 to Danesfort and cut across- just requires a little thought and planning but they are easily avoided.

What alternatives are there if you're driving an artic?

None, unless you ignore the signs.
    But if the cars obey the signs for cars and trucks only use the lights they'll get through the lights faster as they'll be less traffic overall trying to get through the lights.

So in many ways we can blame this on cars not using the alternative routes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I can't remember when Kilkenny last had so much roadworks going on, the roadworks on the Comer rd aren't too bad, but do create traffic jams.
    The roadworks on the Callan rd are annoying but hopefully worth it.
    I do get caught up in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

The 50k speed limit from town to Grange is a joke and the only proper overtaking area between town and Callan at the guys farm and there's a speed van at it is another joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

RobertKK wrote: »
    I can't remember when Kilkenny last had so much roadworks going on, the roadworks on the Comer rd aren't too bad, but do create traffic jams.
    The roadworks on the Callan rd are annoying but hopefully worth it.
    I do get caught up in both.
    The tail back sunday around eleven am it was back as far as the roundabout at the sceilp cars couldn't get out of the hotel kilkenny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

People appear to be chancing "going for it" after the traffic lights have gone red. Saw this earlier today.

• Advertisement

People appear to be chancing "going for it" after the traffic lights have gone red. Saw this earlier today.

Plenty of that going on unfortunately and the speed of some of those "chancers" through the works is lunatic tbh. All well and fine 'til there's an incident.

You will allways have that I was in Dublin yesterday around lunchtime kids were coming out of a school the lolly pop lady was directing them across the road a couple in a car couldn't wait so drove through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

When driving to KK I use the last opportunity which is the right turn at the cross roads just after the bends, it brings you out just before St Patricks school on the Kells rd. The other day I was last in a string of about 10 cars and I was the only one that turned off. I can't understand why people b1tch about the lights when there is a simple alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

An chance of provision being made for the proposed link to the Circular Road that is being announced to service 2 new schools and 800 houses in the Western Environs? Might be expecting too much I suppose. There was talk about a link to the Callan Road across to Drakelands. Let's hope they have joined up the dots on this or I wouldn't like to be waiting for an ambulance from Kilcreene.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

nootroc wrote: »
    An chance of provision being made for the proposed link to the Circular Road that is being announced to service 2 new schools and 800 houses in the Western Environs? Might be expecting too much I suppose. There was talk about a link to the Callan Road across to Drakelands. Let's hope they have joined up the dots on this or I wouldn't like to be waiting for an ambulance from Kilcreene.

What site/sites are they putting the new housing development? Is it beside Robertshill in the old sandpit?? Wouldn't it be great if they linked Callan Rd to Fredhford Rd?

Happens every time. Yesterday guy got done, the Traffic Cops were behind him and he went through after lights, as did 20 other cars. Cop only got him though, as he was last through.
    There is a huge delay in other side going green, 40 secs I would guess, but still a red is a red.

phkk wrote: »
    What site/sites are they putting the new housing development? Is it beside Robertshill in the old sandpit?? Wouldn't it be great if they linked Callan Rd to Fredhford Rd?

Suppose to be new houses going on callan road as part or works, not related but will be incorporated into this new layout.
    Suppose to be 100's of houses.

It would be nice to see Dalys hill been used for something at long last its been a dumping ground for rubbish etc, is it private development social housing .As regards the link up between the Freshford road Callan road its highly unlikely it will happen now when they spent so much on that bridge road, it would make sence to have a link up when you have companies like grasslands, Daltons, prl,

The 50k speed limit from town to Grange is a joke and the only proper overtaking area between town and Callan at the guys farm and there's a speed van at it is another joke

All in the name of safety...doncha know :):)

• Advertisement

You would think they would have a lane for bicycles in both sets of lights, a lot of people cycle in that road and it's lethal at the minute. There is one lane and bicycles have no room with a car behind them let alone a truck behind them. It's an accident in the making.
    Some cyclists wait until it's red to go, but then they have a truck bombing towards them.
    Some get caught mid point and again have traffic bombing towards them.
    How can they be so stupid not to allow space for cyclists .

Advertisement