Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITEC MakeUp Course

Options
  • 10-03-2017 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I currently work on a beauty counter and do makeup for family and friends but would like to get more into the freelance side of things so I've been looking at doing a part time course.

I'm not a complete beginner - I am reasonably skilled at doing my own makeup but it's really learning how to work with different skin types, eye shapes etc. that I'm interested in!

The problem is I'm based in the West and it seems like they're scarce enough outside of Dublin! It wouldn't be feasible for me to drive up and down to Dublin once or twice a week but even if somewhere offered a weeklong one that lead to a qualification! I've found a few I'm interested in but would love to get some feedback from others:

1. Allure College (Athlone) - ITEC certified, one evening a week, €1600 including kit and all exam fees.

2. School of Makeup Artistry (Galway) - ITEC certified, two days per month for 5 months, €1750 including kit - think exam fees are separate to this. I know a few people who have done this one though and they didn't seem that impressed - said all it was good for was the ITEC cert.

3. iSkill Training (Sligo) - ITEC certified, seems basic enough but is only €695. Doesn't include a kit but I would already have a fair amount of my own so isn't a major factor!

There's a few others in Dublin such as Portobello Institute & Galligan College, and also the likes of LA academy and MUF that are just too expensive!

I also see Limerick CFE do an ITEC evening course which probably won't run again until September but is only about €200 I think!

Has anyone completed any courses, or have any feedback from anyone who did? I definitely want one with an internationally recognised qualification in case I ever decide to go travelling or move abroad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 N.B.4567

Hi,

I did the Vanity X course unit 3 professional make up artistry diploma and can now do a ITEC course. Honestly I thought it was a waste of time and money. I did it part time so I would go straight after work until 9:30pm. We were given a basic kit which was ok, a lot of the stuff was ingot. The brushes were awful and fell apart but after spending €1,000 on the course and a basic kit, I easily spent €1,000-€2,000 EXTRA for the course. It was so rushed also I have come out still not able to do liner or a cut crease or lashes. The tutor also had a issue with one of the girls in the class and there was some tension. I also felt that if you were unable to attend because of work issues it was such a huge deal. I did enjoy parts of the course, not too sure if I'm going to do the ITEC I have to pay again! but honestly youtube or a one on one lesson is better!

Advertisement