Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not happy with the service - looking for advice - Can I swap solicitor

Options
  • 10-03-2017 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys, im looking to see if anyone before has made this decision and switched to different solicitor during "buying a house" process.

We have put our deposit down on 2.11, the things have slightly moved in january, when we received contracts, these were signed and returned to vendors solicitor with proposal of closing date.

The thing is, our solicitor is young lady-apprentice-who says she is doing everything she can, but cant get the answer from the other solicitor.

Now someone passed away in her family and she not very politely told me she doesnt have any update and if she would she'd notify me and that she is going to be 4 days off now anyway. I didnt like the attitude, but trying to see she is probably going through difficult stage, but i have 3 kids and have to look after my family at first place.

Rang the offices next day and wanted to meet with her boss but receptionist refused to give me appointment insisting that i am looked after someone else and that all we have to do is wait...

Is it only me being under pressure for so many months or would you feel the same, but i am thinking to switch to someone else? i wont get all that lost time back, but dont like being shifted away last few times.

Or is it silly idea to start all over, would I have to pay some of the fees to the current solicitor if i just leave now? All I want is to see that something is happening... Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have you ever bought a house before? These processes can be lengthy and having trouble with the vendors and their solicitor is not uncommon.

Is it a bank /negative equity /probate sale by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If she has written to the other solicitor, what else can she really do?

What could a different solicitor really do?

You may not like the manner and this is a fair criticism. It is a matter of cost and time. If you want better service you can get it, but it will probably cost more. You might get more glad handing but the conveyance you get done will probably not be any better or faster. There is a fair bit of work in conveyancing. It is not particularly profitable.

So I would stick with who you have. I would suggest writing to the solicitor rather than phoning with enquiries. It's just less frustrating than trying to ring people.

I would enquire with the vendor's estate agent. He is just as anxious as you to get this done as you are and he may have some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 peacefulworld

Thanks athtrasna, we are first time buyers and its sale by PT, and i am also aware of loooong process just i see two my friends who are "with her boss" getting their closing date much faster- one of the within 6 wks-first time buyer too and other within 3 mths-selling theirs and buying again, so feel a bit strange abt it now.

it all could be coincidence i know, but the way my solicitor spoketo me last time i wander if this should be the service i am paying for on the end of the day its not small money.

Antoinolachtnai thanks for your fair point too, we live in the smallish town, id say solicitors know well each other here, what i wander is she being ignored by the wendors solicitor as being a new on the scene?

i dont know...the reason i was looking to go to someone else isnt based only on this, she also made another strange mistake, we got the appointment for signing the contracts and after hour of chatting about different things we wanted to sign them now and go through them her reaction was- oh i thought we did go through them before?

well..... the thing was signed anyway as i really wanted to move on, but im just hoping that when she said there's nothing to worry about-there really wont be anything we will worry about in the future :-)

my original question was if theres anyone out there who has changed the solicitors during the process of buying a house, if it is possible thing to do and if you have to pay any fees to the one you started with...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why would the vendor's solicitor want to ignore her? No one gets paid until the deal is done. I mean, it is possible. But most likely the vendor's solicitor can't get a response from the vendor or the vendor is orherwise dragging heels. The vendor's solicitor can't come out and say 'I'm sorry my client is an idiot.'

Customer service is certainly a problem in many firms. But honestly the main thing is to get the transaction done and done right.

I have been involved in switching solicitors. The guy was really bad and this was at an early stage in the transaction long before contracts were exchanged.

If you have already exchanged contracts you will certainly have to pay the first solicitor. I would imagine you would then have to pay the second solicitor to review the first solicitor's work in full and redo it if thry deem it necessary.

I would write the letter and since it is a small town, see if you can find out what is happening with the vendor, perhaps through the agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

my original question was if theres anyone out there who has changed the solicitors during the process of buying a house, if it is possible thing to do and if you have to pay any fees to the one you started with...
    Yes you can change.

Yes you will owe them for any work done at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Conveyancing can be a real pain in the ass at times with one solicitor blaming the other for delays. My advice is to stick with your solicitor for now anyhow but do ask in writing for an explanation about the delays and an expected closing date. You could also ask if you can now set your own date for finalising matters but do take your solicitors advise on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

Peaceworld, I considered the same our process seems to take long we are now a wk in the house, changing will only result in further delays, stick with it your nearly there. solicitors job are not for fast result but to have everything right

So I have decided not to do any dramatic changes and stay patient...yesterday was our proposed closing day, day before i have received a phone call that the sale fell through, vendor decided to keep the house for himself...
    1. he is wealthy man, has mansion, dont need this house for himself
    2. why it took him 4.5 months to decide
    3. how are we suppose to keep the head up and go on? how much longer is this housing situation going to destroy our everyday lives?
    4. is there any rights for decent people who pay their tax, pay their bills, go to work and want peace and quiet of their own?
    i am worn out, frustrated and disappointed..and still trying to find a way how to say this to my kids...
    Happy saint patricks day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

So I have decided not to do any dramatic changes and stay patient...yesterday was our proposed closing day, day before i have received a phone call that the sale fell through, vendor decided to keep the house for himself...
    1. he is wealthy man, has mansion, dont need this house for himself
    2. why it took him 4.5 months to decide
    3. how are we suppose to keep the head up and go on? how much longer is this housing situation going to destroy our everyday lives?
    4. is there any rights for decent people who pay their tax, pay their bills, go to work and want peace and quiet of their own?
    i am worn out, frustrated and disappointed..and still trying to find a way how to say this to my kids...
    Happy saint patricks day...

Sorry to hear that but it's perfectly legal for the vendor to change their mind. Unfortunately it's just a case of needing to learn from it and move on. Have you got your deposit back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

1. Looks like it was the vendor messing around all the time.
    2. Vendor may have wanted to get out of being a landlord but the rising rents has drawn them back in.
    3. It's tough out there, housing shortage will go on for years.
    4. Not sure I understand this one.

Don't say anything to the kids. Put on a brace face, bring them out for the day and have some fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So it looks like your solicitor was telling you the truth - there was nothing she could have done to move things along.

Did the seller sign a contract at all?

Thanks for your support guys, i will have to tell my kids at some stage, they are half packed - need to put it back to place..i will never find out if vendor did sign or pull out just before, we signed contracts and paid deposit month ago, not sure what was done from their side in the meantime. Btw deposit not back yet, my solicitor says we may wait for vendors solicitor to release the payment back, thats again something what out of my hands and all i can do is wait. I think so too, he wants to rent it again or sell at higher price, but there isnt many rights for tenants and buyers out there, we've been some though time last 3 years and im done with my positive thinking and believing that things will change and get better. thanks everyone who was trying to help, i wish all the best to other buyers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement