Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning tree advice

Options
  • 10-03-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I would need some advice on pruning this tree

hGGXPum.jpg

FBeeCAj.jpg

Does anyone know what this is, and how to prune it?

pfU7hN6.jpg

Its getting really big and at the moment there are no leaves, just branches. So I thought it be a good time to prune it nicely.

I did notice that it has start to flower at the tips. So maybe I have missed the window of opportunity. I don't want to damage the tree.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

It's not too late but it should be done this weekend preferably.

I'd go with a lollipop shape. I can't draw on the pic, so I can't explain that further.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Cheers,

Can you post a photo example?

Do you know what tree it is?

Cutting the sprout / knobs won't hurt the tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

It's a Salix somethinganius
    Cutting the tree will hurt it but won't kill it. Don't go too far back though. If it were mid-winter you could go a lot harder. How much do you want to reduce it by?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/34/36/ad/3436ad71196e51432570ba7364430c34.jpg Like that shape - only better.

Not too much really. Just trim the sides and mainly the bottom.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Looks more like a nice weeping pear, with the whiteish branches. Be careful how you prune it as it has a pendulus nature. Google weeping pear and look at the images. You'll get a good idea of shapes that you could prune to. I would go more for a domed shape

pyrus_pendula_3-600_600.jpg

It is a bit late to prune it now as you will lose the flowers. And spring is not the best time to prune.

You can lift and level the skirt a bit and prune small branches extending out beyond the crown shape.

Use target pruning.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, so basically do small pruning now to keep it a bit in check, and then next winter do the proper hair cut and shape the crown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Poncke wrote: »
    Thanks guys, so basically do small pruning now to keep it a bit in check, and then next winter do the proper hair cut and shape the crown

The tree already had a lovely crown shape. I wouldn't be inclined to take too much off it.

Advertisement