Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Benefit Review

Options
  • 10-03-2017 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if many people receive child benefit review letters and how often? Personally I have a foreign surname as does my child, both myself and Dad are Irish, I receive these letters twice to once a year, sometimes even 3 times a year. After speaking to friends about it, with Irish surnames, none of them had ever received such a letter. So now im starting to think that the dept. is targeting people with foreign surnames even if your irish.

So what are your experiences? Do you receive these letters? How often? and do you have an Irish or foreign surname?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got 2 last year, they send them to everyone who's registered for child benefit. I'd be very surprised if your friends haven't received them as it been used for a few years now to stop fraudulent claims.from child benefit tourists. You just fill it in and send it back. No big deal.
    I'm Irish with an Irish surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

cbyrd wrote: »
    I got 2 last year, they send them to everyone who's registered for child benefit. I'd be very surprised if your friends haven't received them as it been used for a few years now to stop fraudulent claims.from child benefit tourists. You just fill it in and send it back. No big deal.
    I'm Irish with an Irish surname.

I'm Irish with an Irish surname like my child. I got two year. It's no problem for me returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi just wondering if many people receive child benefit review letters and how often? Personally I have a foreign surname as does my child, both myself and Dad are Irish, I receive these letters twice to once a year, sometimes even 3 times a year. After speaking to friends about it, with Irish surnames, none of them had ever received such a letter. So now im starting to think that the dept. is targeting people with foreign surnames even if your irish.

So what are your experiences? Do you receive these letters? How often? and do you have an Irish or foreign surname?

My wife is Polish, kept her family name, we get them at least twice a year - my sisters have never, ever received one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I am Irish but with a foreign surname. Husband is foreign. We get 3 letters a year. None of our friends have ever received a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am Irish but with a foreign surname. Husband is foreign. We get 3 letters a year. None of my friends have ever received a letter.

Have you called them to find out why you're getting them?

• Advertisement

Have you called them to find out why you're getting them?

Yes - and they say that it is totally random :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

SusanC10 wrote:
    I am Irish but with a foreign surname. Husband is foreign. We get 3 letters a year. None of our friends have ever received a letter.

My wife and I are both Irish with Irish names we get these letters once a year. Couple of minutes to fill out the form no big deal. I'm glad the state is insuring that child benefit is controlled as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

We have Irish Surnames and get these once or twice a year, got one last week.

I don't have a problem filling in the Form but based on the fact that none of the other people we know with kids (and Irish surnames) have had to fill this out I did start to wonder if we were picked out as our surname was not Irish.

Last year they sent out a letter which we did not receive so therefore did not reply and the Benefit was stopped. When I phoned they explained that it was cut as we did not reply. I told them that I had already filled out 2 of these Forms in 2016. It was then that I queried it. It took a number of months to be re-instated.

And it was then that we talked to our friends / other Mums at the school about it and we were the only ones getting these letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I've received 2/3 of these over the past 4 years maybe. Not a big deal, signed and returned the same day.
    I would be peeved if I was getting them every few months though as the required turnaround time can be quite short, so if you happened to be away on a holiday when one arrived you could be docked your allowance the following month.

I think at this stage I'd be writing to them (not a phonecall) a firm letter asking if you're been profiled in some way, and explain how your friends and acquaintances don't appear to receive the same level of attention and scrutiny as yourself.
    See how they explain it officially on paper back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

My wife is English and we have received about 4 or 5 over the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

I have a foreign surname (because I am a foreigner) and usually I get one every year, although last year I think I've got none, probably because my wife had to get that social protection card. But, even if they do profile you by name, I can't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife is foreign with my name. Got one every 6 months but hasn't got one in a while from what I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Cordell wrote: »
    I have a foreign surname (because I am a foreigner) and usually I get one every year, although last year I think I've got none, probably because my wife had to get that social protection card. But, even if they do profile you by name, I can't see the problem.

Thats institutional racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

And high insurance cost for young drivers is institutional ageism. And so on. When you are part of a group that is more likely to abuse the system expect to be checked more often, I don't mind and I can't see a problem. If that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Irish Parent, All Irish surnames, received twice in the last year.

Just fill them out and send it back, and I don't particular care if they profile/target any group that is a known higher risk.

If you have nothing to hide, why try to create problems..they are trying to find people that are robing money from all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

All Irish here and get 1 or 2 a year. Not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Thanks for the replies. I know its no big deal to just complete he form and send it back, thats what I have been doing. Genuinely non of my friends with irish surnames have ever received these forms, friends with non irish names have received them several times. Thats why I just wanted to get a broader idea of what other people experienced. I dont see how these letters prevent fraud, if someone is defrauding the state, it is pretty easy to sign this letter, or have someone else do it and just send it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We get 1-2 a year. I think certain things make you more likely to get them. Like money direct to bank account rather than post office collection, having lived abroad with the kids before, not sending a letter back in time, kids born abroad, one parent not irish etc. These things make you more likely for the kids to be living in Ireland etc.
    As long as they reinstate it you are ok. We had ours stopped for over a year and the pain in the arse paperwork to get it reinstated is no joke.

Thanks for the replies. I know its no big deal to just complete he form and send it back, thats what I have been doing. Genuinely non of my friends with irish surnames have ever received these forms, friends with non irish names have received them several times. Thats why I just wanted to get a broader idea of what other people experienced. I dont see how these letters prevent fraud, if someone is defrauding the state, it is pretty easy to sign this letter, or have someone else do it and just send it back

You have to add details of the Child's Creche and/or Doctor.

They then check that the child is really living in the country with either above.
    Rather than gone to some foreign country and illegally claiming the benefits here still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kieran. wrote:
    We have Irish Surnames and get these once or twice a year, got one last week.

Exact same as that. Just sent it back a few days ago. I think it's just random.
    ForestFire wrote:
    They then check that the child is really living in the country with either above. Rather than gone some foreign country and illegally claiming the benefits here still.

I worked with a Polish guy who claimed and got back paid a significant benefit amount for his children living in Poland with their mother, once he discovered that indeed it is allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

They prevent fraud because if you're not living there you wouldn't get the letter.

pilly wrote: »
    They prevent fraud because if you're not living there you wouldn't get the letter.

It is not prevented like this, As in the quoted post, you can get a friend or family member to sign and return on you behalf, or have the letter forwarded to your new address.

They actually check with the creche and/or doctor that the child is attending these services regularly here and living here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

ForestFire wrote: »
    It is not prevented like this, As in the quoted post, you can get a friend or family member to sign and return on you behalf, or have the letter forwarded to your new address.

They actually check with the creche and/or doctor that the child is attending these services regularly here and living here

Children don't necessarily have to be living here for child benefit to be paid, one of the adults does.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

I'm wondering how data protection laws allow a GP or creche to give out that of info? maybe it doesn't fall under data protection? Surely there is a more effective way to find fraudulent cases? Also the child doesn't have to reside in the country, if they parent resides here and pays tax here they are entitled to claim child benefit. So how do these letters take that into account?

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd be very surprised if none of your friends have ever gotten one. How many people are you talking about? I have an 'Irish' surname, my sister has a different 'Irish' surname. We have both gotten them recently and I know many of our friends have too.

I get them at least once a year. I have a child who is not yet 3 and I know I have just filled in my 3rd one for her.

pilly wrote: »
    Children don't necessarily have to be living here for child benefit to be paid, one of the adults does.

I believe there are cases where a child not living here can still get benefit here under strict conditions (One parent living here, Child in other part of EU and not claiming benefit there:confused:). And I guess this would be something that has to be declared for this child anyway.

But this simple check narrows down the children that are in valid receipt of child benefit and those that require further investigation quite quickly, so efforts can be concentrated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Son is 2 & I've had 2letters! Both Irish surnames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thats institutional racism.

Except it's not.

I'm Irish, born and bred, never left Ireland to live elsewhere, have a very Irish surname, married an Irish man with an Irish surname and I get these at LEAST twice per year, one year I received 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I only remarked last week that I've filled in lots of them (by lots, I mean maybe 4 in 5 years). I've no idea why, I've got a very Irish surname, as do my kids (although our surnames are different). i did wonder if they actually go to the effort of checking with the gp regarding attendance, but I suppose they must verify the information somehow.

Advertisement