Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Benefit Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Son is two and I've had three. Irish name (well not actually in Irish if you get me). Missed the last one because I moved house but I'll get the back payment. No issue with them personally

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

I've filled in about of these a year, every year. I've an English surname although I'm irish. Between that and forms to confirm my lone parents status, I'm constantly filling out forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm not trying to be insensitive (hint that I'm going to): it's just a form or two, once a year, to get about 1500 euros per child. Not a big deal. Maybe you'll appreciate more the lack of bureaucracy in Ireland if I'll tell you that there are countries in which amputees need to bring a certificate issued by their GP to certify that their limbs haven't grown back, every year, in person, not by post. And that is no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Im Irish with an Irish surname and have received the form the last two years that I have been claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

cbyrd wrote: »
    I got 2 last year, they send them to everyone who's registered for child benefit. I'd be very surprised if your friends haven't received them as it been used for a few years now to stop fraudulent claims.from child benefit tourists. You just fill it in and send it back. No big deal.
    I'm Irish with an Irish surname.
    Same here, get them regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I have one of the most boring, common Irish names going and I get it around once a year on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Thanks for all the replies :) I don't have an issue with them either but was just wondering as 4 friends with Irish names hadn't ever heard of them, as far as I'm aware don't collect money in the post office, and 3 other friends non Irish names get them regularly like myself. Seems from the posts here it's just a random selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I got one only last week. But it arrived about 10 days after I got one to verify my childs GP card. My thoughts were that I got the GP card letter because I've actually never had to use it as 18mth old has never had to go to the doctors bar vaccinations. GP card letter clearly stated that I needed to state if I had moved abroad, whereas the CB one was worded far more politely and wanted to ensure I was getting the correct entitlement rather than ask my whereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We don't have an "Irish" surname and while we were receiving CB in Australia it was a total pain. They sent the letters to us but, they always arrived after the date they were due back. They really didn't know how to deal with us and people like us. There are plenty of people living out of Ireland who still work for Irish companies and are paid in Ireland and who are eligible for CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Good to see efficiency for once, obviously they have found a common trend and are concentrating their efforts where they have the highest success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

One child born abroad, English husband, moved to Ireland, really unusual surname and I've received one letter which was about a year ago. I'm delighted that they're cracking down on benefit fraud, about time too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Irish and surname as gaeilge and I still get them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Get this form usually one every 2 years. Irish surname but not a very usual or common one. I don't really mind and I would prefer that they do this to ensure that the correct people are claiming CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cutehoore

Have a two year old with one of the most popular Irish names spelled in Irish and we have gotten these 3 times since May 2015 when we got our first payment

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Irish surname parents and child here and got one a few months back.

My Irish surname colleague had a few too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I need to put stamp on the form the form send to put the child name and school address and phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

I feel your pain, I did mine today by hand. The horror.
    Also went through the pain of searching for those damn stamps only to find out that they were 68c and now the price is 1E. Had to stick 2 of them, that is 36c off my pocket just wasted!!!
    And all this for what?!!?!

Oh yeah, for 1500E a year for every child.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I've had them a few times, although none so far this year. All of us have surnames 'as Gaeilge' too. Never actually thought to ask anyone else if they get them!

Yeah I seem to get one every 2 years I think. They must have done a run of them, I got a letter yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Im still getting them about 3 times a year. Ive already received 2 this year so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I got two yesterday for some reason. Someone must have pressed print twice on the computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So what are your experiences? Do you receive these letters? How often? and do you have an Irish or foreign surname?

Yup, very much non Irish/English surnames and get them pretty much every quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

We used to get them a lot at first (non-Irish mother) but it's been a while now since we've got any.

wexie wrote: »

So what are your experiences? Do you receive these letters? How often? and do you have an Irish or foreign surname?

Yup, very much non Irish/English surnames and get them pretty much every quarter
    I’ve gotten more of the letters under my married surname which is a more common surname, my maiden surname was very uncommon. But my child’s surname is different to my married surname so maybe that’s why I get the letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Have an irish name ( in English) , which I think is nothing to do with it, I get these letters all the time . Don't see what the big deal is, at least it so an effort to save tax payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

I got one about a year after my son was born. I was actually fuming over it. It said our child benefit had been stopped until further notice + we needed to contact them.Well no better person to ring them I went ballistic. They said they had sent a letter + got no response so it was stopped. No such thing we never got a letter. I sent a letter of complaint about it + reinstated in less than a month. We are all Irish so I don't think they pick out names. I have absolutely no problem if random checks but do have a problem with a system that obviously isn't working properly. Families like us paying our taxes getting stopped is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I very much doubt that your name has anything to do with it. My boy is one and we've received one. Child benefit is in my name (a very Irish surname), and my son has an Irish first name and Welsh surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've had 3 of these and have no difficulty returning them. Proper order that there is some vigilance over fraudulent claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

have been getting them twice a year since 2011 both parents irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Just goes show it must be completely random. I have a 5yr old and 2 yr old and I’ve had one since my eldest was born.

Advertisement