Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Include After Hours in post of day

Options
  • 10-03-2017 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

A number of years ago AH was removed from being eligible for post of the day.

I think it was to give other forums a chance to get a bit of the spotlight which was admirable. Iirc it was also because it was felt that some of the POTD from AH weren't POTD worthy as they were short quips, one liners and what not.

These days though, more often than not, POTD is from the "you laugh you lose" thread or from the weather forum.

I view the YLYL thread regularly and have no interest in weather so imo, POTD is a bit of a waste.

The main reason I think AH should be included in POTD is because the forum has moved on from its more base roots. A lot of the "funny" stuff from 5 to 10 years ago is gone and I believe the user base has matured in a lot of ways.

I'm an occasional poster in the forum and don't really read the larger threads as they can be frankly unwieldy but there are often well thought out and cromulent arguments that don't get the wider audience that they deserve as the forum is excluded from POTD.

So what I'd like to see, even for a trial basis of say a month, is to have the forum included in the POTD count.

Cheers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I have never heard of post of the day????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Rod Munch. He he. That deserves to be username of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Just open the most thanked page and scroll down past ylyl lose and weather and there they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

arkrow wrote: »
    Just open the most thanked page and scroll down past ylyl lose and weather and there they are.

That's actually the first time I have ever opened that page.What's the point of its existence?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think POTD has had its day. It's a relic from the past. Yes when most posters where accessing the old site via desktops there was probably a lot more interest. Nowadays though it's easy enough to rank posts by reference to thanks, forums, when posted etc. which gives a wider (and in my view better) perspective of what's popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Beasty wrote: »
    I think POTD has had its day. It's a relic from the past. Yes when most posters where accessing the old site via desktops there was probably a lot more interest. Nowadays though it's easy enough to rank posts by reference to thanks, forums, when posted etc. which gives a wider (and in my view better) perspective of what's popular.

Personally speaking I check POTD every day but I don't check into some of the bigger, fast moving threads.

In the past I've used it to read up on stuff that I may not have been aware of or to educate myself on what's currently been discussed in the larger world.

I feel that having a link to the "hot topic" of the day is a good thing and tbh id much rather that AH be included rather than CPV&L.

An opinion, comment or thought is much more valuable than a meme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I've heard this POTD mentioned but have no idea where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can someone explain what POTD is i.e. what the algorithm for it is?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Phoebas wrote: »
    Can someone explain what POTD is i.e. what the algorithm for it is?

Most thanked post between 00:00 and 23:59 on a given day, minus those from ineligible forums (After Hours, maybe PI?)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Post Of The Day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement