Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee stop bike lock.

Options
  • 10-03-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Would this be an effective deterrent or just a waste of time? The only time my bike is prone to being stolen is during coffee shop stops when it can be out of sight for a few minutes when ordering or using the loo as other than that I usually keep it in view.

81cA0HqeX7L1489143277.jpg

This lock isn't going to deter a determined thief but I'm thinking it would put off the opportunist who just grabs a bike and tears off with it.

It's light, easy to keep on the bike or in a pocket and isn't mad expensive at €15 delivered.

What do others do to secure their bike during coffee stops?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Park it beside a more expensive looking unlocked bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Leave bike in 53x11 and clasp your helmet as you would a bike lock through rear wheel and frame. Zero extra kit required and it acts as a small deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

lidl selling locks this week.. €4.. come in pink!

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=52488

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

The Dutch way, Impossible to leave without your lock ;-)

Axa defender lock with plug-in option

"The AXA Defender is a high quality frame lock with an innovative design and the option to link a plug in cable or -chain to the lock so you can lock your bike to a fixed object.

The Defender ring lock offers optimal safety with its anti drilling cylinder and hardened steel bracket. The ergonomic design of the push button and the luxurious foldable key with online key service offer you maximum comfort.

The AXA Defender can be mounted in several different ways. Standard mounting procedure is the flexible fixing set that can be mounted on a variety of frame shapes, but also top bolt mounting is available."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's light, easy to keep on the bike or in a pocket and isn't mad expensive at €15 delivered.

You can buy one of those locks in any Giant authorised dealers.. I've only used it on hols with the bike, stops an opportunist from grabbing the bike and escaping on it..
    I would only use this if I could see the bike from the shop window, would not be suitable for leaving the bike in a busy city centre shop or out of site for a reasonable amount of time..

Otherwise buy a mini U lock: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/kryptonite-evolution-mini-5-u-lock/rp-prod147261

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Leave bike in 53x11 and clasp your helmet as you would a bike lock through rear wheel and frame. Zero extra kit required and it acts as a small deterrent.

Coffee riders won't have a 53 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

tunney wrote: »
    Coffee riders won't have a 53 though?

You're spot on there Tunney!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I carry a Kryptonite Evolution LITE Mini 6 permanently on the bike. It's fine for a sheffield stand but may not fit around a street sign post. The wider Kryptonite Messenger Mini is still almost as light but will fit more locking points.

Both are pretty light to carry and are good for nipping into the shop but not for extended or city parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Loosen the front skewer, so even if the scrote managed to get your bike, they might lose a few front teeth for their troubles. Just remember to tighten it :eek:

I normally do as a poster said earlier - leave it in the highest gear and use the helmet strap around the wheel. It'll take a few minutes to undo, so will deter a quick snatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have had two occasions where I looked toward where a bike had been only moments before only to discover it was gone. Neither involved a coffee stop (and one involved a cable lock which had been cut through) but that horrible feeling of shock mixed with frustration and anger isn't something I ever want to experience again. So, I err on the side of caution when it comes to leaving a bike anywhere.

I'm not a fan of coffee stops so the question of protecting my bike almost never arises for me, but if I were expecting to leave my bike unattended then I would consider the option of locking my helmet straps through the wheel as useful but not sufficient. I'd be concerned not just by the casual thief walking past and looking to ride the bike away, but also by the person who might just pick the bike up (locked or not) and throw it into into a van or the boot of a car. Locking the bike to an immovable object with a cable lock provides some protection against both.

Obviously a cable lock will not be a deterrent to a determined thief, at best it would delay them by no more than the few seconds it would take to cut through it with a bolt cutters or similar, but protection against a determined thief requires a hefty lock (e.g. a good quality U-lock) and generally two of them, and lugging those around with you is too much hassle for a weekend "fun" spin as far as I am concerned.

So I'd go with a half-decent cable lock as a compromise. Something with a combination lock certainly has some appeal but I'd wonder whether it would just act as a magnet for someone with a brass neck - certainly every time I see one I'm always tempted to try to take on the challenge of figuring out the combination to open it, an aversion to thieving puts me off trying but someone with more casual morals might actually be attracted by the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Another option is to pop off the front wheel and carry it around with you. Again though, while that would prevent the bike from just being grabbed and ridden away, it also makes it easier to fit into the boot of a car more quickly so whether it's a good option or not depends on what kind of thief you are concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Similar idea but when you park the bike up just click down through the rear and front derailleur so if some one does grab it the chain will more or less mangle itself stopping would be thief momentarily at least.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

These - https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock - look decent (for an ultra-portable lock). Available from next month apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What about the bike bomb someone posted here recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

colm18 wrote: »
    These - https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock - look decent (for an ultra-portable lock). Available from next month apparently.

Ordered one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would not use a cable or combination lock. I have the Evo Mini but it struggles to reach things. I end up putting it through a stay sometimes. I'd get the Kryptonite Messenger Mini Lock U if I was getting one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Tiger shops have a little retractable wire on a reel lock to allow you lock bike to a thing to stop the snatch type thefts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't do the spins-with-cake-stop type of cycling, but a Palmy might be some good. I'd definitely obscure the brand name and not leave it for very long at all, but it is light, and it does look like a normal u-lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tiger shops have a little retractable wire on a reel lock to allow you lock bike to a thing to stop the snatch type thefts.

I've not used that lock. I have used cable reel locks for things like scooters etc. I have found you can usually jerk them and break them. Might depend on the quality of the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

jamesd wrote: »
    colm18 wrote: »

Ordered one of these.
    Any feedback on this? Does it do the trick? Also what length did you get? Seems like only 18inch available at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

rtmie wrote: »
    Any feedback on this? Does it do the trick? Also what length did you get? Seems like only 18inch available at the mo.

Got the 18inch one, haven't used it yet but would be perfect for a coffee stop lock. I just see it as a way to make the thief go for the unlocked bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This

There are commercial bicycle cuffs, IIRC.(*)

Maybe too heavy (1kg), but this sounds good:
    http://thebestbikelock.com/folding-locks/foldylock-compact-review/

(*)EDIT:
    http://road.cc/content/review/35027-masterlock-street-cuff-lock

bikesnobnyc has been trying these out (securing a saddle in his case):
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=111058

Can be defeated with a cable snips, and has a universal key. But might be option for short stops when bike nearby and in sight.

Advertisement