Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner concert photography

• 10-03-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey just wondering could someone help me out with lenses .I'm lookin to start doing small gig photography like in pubs and stuff was wondering if anyone could recommend some lenses and just tips in general would be greatly appreciated!
    Ive been lookin at a nikkor 50mm 1.8 d lens and a nikkor 35mm 1.8 g lens I've read good things about these.

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Both are great lenses.
    My particular favourite is the Nikon 85mm 1.8G, although maybe not wide enough for a pub/club setting.

DX or FX body? Model would be helpful and don't be shy!

Small/intimate venues or full on venues/clubs with some distance between you and the performer?

What's your budget?

I have a fair bit of experience but lens recommendations depend on your answers.

poundhound wrote: »
    Both are great lenses.
    My particular favourite is the Nikon 85mm 1.8G, although maybe not wide enough for a pub/club setting.

Any D/G 1.8 would be ideal to be fair. I just replaced a damaged 85mm 1.8 D with a G version and while it's not as 'tough' as the older one, it's a great little lens.

You're probably right about an 85mm maybe not being wide enough, especially if it's on a crop body. Hard to overlook a 50mm 1.8 as a starting point, although I'd lean towards the DX 35mm 1.8 G if it's on a DX body and for small venues like pubs and whatnot.

Plenty of great lenses out there though (especially if older used lenses are considered) and the OP could always use their kit lens to figure out what their ideal focal length would be before choosing between a 24/28/35/50mm prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 helvetica666

poundhound wrote: »
    Both are great lenses.

Thanks!!
    Would that be an expensive lens?

Thanks!!
    Would that be an expensive lens?

No. €450-500 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 helvetica666

Thanks for the Advice��
    I've got a nikon d90 so dx I am kinda torn before the 50mm and the 35mm tbh
    I'm really only looking to do like small intimate venues for the time being.
    My budget is €150

Thanks for the Advice��
    I've got a nikon d90 so dx I am kinda torn before the 50mm and the 35mm tbh
    I'm really only looking to do like small intimate venues for the time being.
    My budget is €150

50mm 1.8 D or G. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Cork Photographer

50mm 1.8 is affordable and within your price range. Simple lens with fantastic aperture effects. You can't go far wrong.

Advertisement