Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB keeps letting criminals spend money from my account

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

xboxdad wrote: »
    Update: I got charged again by Netflix today. So now I have to call AIB on every working day it seems. AIB told the same thing again. Automatic process. It's the Visa Account Updater program that does this to me. Even if the card was stolen/compromised, it does kick in and update your new details in all participating merchant's systems. So it's an auto-leakage of personal details with no opt-out option apparently.

..they also told me that closing my account won't help. Once that card existed, it's me who owes money and I'll be charged one way or another.

So I called Netflix and asked them directly. They did find two accounts using both the old and new (few weeks old) cards. They were very helpful and nice.

The only issue is: I'd need to call companies in Egypt, US, whereever else and find nice/cooperative customer service in each of them to make sure this all stops. Extremely badly designed system driven by VISA/Mastercard and banks. The more I learn about this, the more I feel that my privacy and rights are being violated to no end.

sounds like you need to do a couple of things

1-Cancel you card & account. Once its cancelled you cannot be held liable for any new transactions after that date.
    2-Send in a complaint to AIB about this issue. Send a copy to Visa.
    3-Send a complaint to data protection commissioner that your personal information is being shared against your wishes.

If you get no job from 1 or 2, then a complaint to the ombudsman is in order.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

daheff wrote: »
    sounds like you need to do a couple of things

1-Cancel you card & account. Once its cancelled you cannot be held liable for any new transactions after that date.
    2-Send in a complaint to AIB about this issue. Send a copy to Visa.
    3-Send a complaint to data protection commissioner that your personal information is being shared against your wishes.

If you get no job from 1 or 2, then a complaint to the ombudsman is in order.

good luck

At the same time, I'm also preparing to take out a mortgage. You know that 6 month "don't use your credit card", "sanitize your debit card use", etc... you need to do before you apply... I'm at the 4th month of that and it's not very easy to do anyways. I can't have my account closed now (also they said it would make no difference). ..this ppl stealing my money each month makes this mortgage preparation even more "fun"..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I'm appalled at your experience, xboxdad. Have you tried speaking to AIB on the Talk To option here on Boards?

I'm pretty sure that airing this kind of thing will not endear anyone considering moving to AIB and it should be highlighted in the AIB forum so that current AIB customers can be alerted to this huge problem if their cards are compromised. This would certainly put me off ever considering them as an option for banking.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I'm appalled at your experience, xboxdad. Have you tried speaking to AIB on the Talk To option here on Boards?

I'm pretty sure that airing this kind of thing will not endear anyone considering moving to AIB and it should be highlighted in the AIB forum so that current AIB customers can be alerted to this huge problem if their cards are compromised. This would certainly put me off ever considering them as an option for banking.

Banks seem to have a policy that they only discuss serious matters via phone calls. Therefore I skip chat/forum interfaces and reach out to them via phone calls only.

Ever since I learned about the Visa Account Updater (& the MasterCard equivalent of it) I'm unsure where the bank's responsibility ends and when Visa's responsibility starts in this. The pure existence of this system is just unbelievable. Like a bad sci-fi movie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Actually, each time I called them they said that the fraud department will send me a letter, but I haven't got a letter from them ever since my complaints started. Now I'm hoping this will just stop... If it doesn't, I'll start writing letters here and there for sure.

Banks seem to have a policy that they only discuss serious matters via phone calls. Therefore I skip chat/forum interfaces and reach out to them via phone calls only.

Ever since I learned about the Visa Account Updater (& the MasterCard equivalent of it) I'm unsure where the bank's responsibility ends and when Visa's responsibility starts in this. The pure existence of this system is just unbelievable. Like a bad sci-fi movie...

I had an issue with BOI that I was getting absolutely nowhere with for months. Ditto with the phonecalls and also with letters that promised all sorts. Dealt with so many CS agents who palmed it off to someone else that it was a farce.

In the end, I used the Talk To forum - it has more of a trail than phonecalls and is more public than letters. It was only then that my issue was addressed and sorted to my satisfaction.

They contacted me through PMs and phonecalls, so there was no privacy leak, but the issue and its process/progress was highlighted by me for all to see. It did take persistence, but it was worth it in the end. I even got awarded compensation, so don't dismiss this avenue!

I had an issue with BOI that I was getting absolutely nowhere with for months. Ditto with the phonecalls and also with letters that promised all sorts. Dealt with so many CS agents who palmed it off to someone else that it was a farce.

In the end, I used the Talk To forum - it has more of a trail than phonecalls and is more public than letters. It was only then that my issue was addressed and sorted to my satisfaction.

They contacted me through PMs and phonecalls, so there was no privacy leak, but the issue and its process/progress was highlighted by me for all to see. It did take persistence, but it was worth it in the end. I even got awarded compensation, so don't dismiss this avenue!

Thanks for you input. Very interesting!
    If I see anything new that freaks me out, I'll post it there too.

Thanks for you input. Very interesting!
    If I see anything new that freaks me out, I'll post it there too.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait - no harm in a warning shot across the bows, so to speak. With your impending mortgage negotiations, you want nothing to compromise your financial record in any way.

You have already written posts here describing the situation and the responses you've received - what have you got to lose? Cobble them together and put it up there!

If I were you, I wouldn't wait - no harm in a warning shot across the bows, so to speak. With your impending mortgage negotiations, you want nothing to compromise your financial record in any way.

You have already written posts here describing the situation and the responses you've received - what have you got to lose? Cobble them together and put it up there!

Thank you. I took your advice and cross-referenced this thread from there:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057717490

• Advertisement
Advertisement