Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to replace Win7 with XP on a Laptop, won't let me.

Options
  • 10-03-2017 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭

I have a negative scanner I am trying to get up and running, but it only works with XP or Vista.

I have an old laptop I no longer use but which has been upgraded to WIN7. I would like to install XP back on to it to use the scanner, but I tried to install the XP disc but it says not allowed to install an older version of Windows.

Anyone any idea how I could go about getting XP back on to it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have you tried compatability mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

First of all, don't put XP back on it just for the sake of a scanner!

What make / model is the scanner? Have you tried the product page to see if the Windows 7 drivers are available to download there?

Did you check windows updates to see if the device is compatible with plug-and-play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

You will need to do a clean install, dont pop in the CD and try and run it within another OS, make the laptop boot from CD and go that way. It will be worth checking first if you can get drivers for the laptop for XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bennyc wrote: »
    You will need to do a clean install, dont pop in the CD and try and run it within another OS, make the laptop boot from CD and go that way. It will be worth checking first if you can get drivers for the laptop for XP.

Tried that, still gives the error message.

I searched for a new driver for the Summit scanner, can't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

According to an Amazon reviewer, the Veho VFS-004 drivers work.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/downloads.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Could also install virtual box and install xp in that. Meaning you will have the best of both.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Could also install virtual box and install xp in that. Meaning you will have the best of both.

Not for this usage - for device passthrough to work the virtual host has to have suitable drivers, as well as the virtual guest having drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tried that, still gives the error message.

I searched for a new driver for the Summit scanner, can't find one.

What error message? If you boot from the CD in the bios, not in Windows, it should install that way just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You should be able to delete and create new partitions having booted from a CD. You might possibly have to adjust the SATA mode in the BIOS, depending on if your XP iso had SATA drivers included. I have an XP iso with them included.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

rurs wrote: »
    According to an Amazon reviewer, the Veho VFS-004 drivers work.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/downloads.aspx

Rurs, I owe you one.

Downloaded it and it worked!!

Thats why I love Forums like this, always get good help.

Saved me a pile of hassle.

Cheers everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement