Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaker switches for new kitchen fitout

Options
  • 10-03-2017 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi , we are having our kitchen taken out and a full new one fitted , the kitchen people have said that we will need breaker switches fitted for each appliance in the kitchen , so thats 7 seven breaker switches on top of regular sockets that will be on show , its this regulation for new builds only or does it apply the retrofits too ? .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi , we are having our kitchen taken out and a full new one fitted , the kitchen people have said that we will need breaker switches fitted for each appliance in the kitchen , so thats 7 seven breaker switches on top of regular sockets that will be on show , its this regulation for new builds only or does it apply the retrofits too ? .

554.3.5 a socket outlet that is not readily accessible shall be provided with a means of isolation mounted nearby and suitably labelled

If there is new wiring installed then it has to comply with current regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Are you assuming "breakers" as being MCB's at distribution board?
    What they mean is isolation switches as meercat has explained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Would it satisfy the regs to have a nearby e-stop linked to a remote contactor to cut power to the whole lot?

Just genuinely curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The emergency stop would certainly shut everything down in the event of emergency such as a machine going seriously wrong. We discussed about them a few years ago here i think.

But it wouldn't provide true isolation the same way a switch does imo, with the stop button not switching the primary circuit directly. It would still be possible for the contactor to be closed even if unlikely, by other means, fault in stop button wiring etc.

And individual isolators allow a faulty machine which was tripping breakers to be isolated. Handy as well for finding a machine or appliance which might be nuisance tripping an RCD.

Multi gang isolator switches via grids can be made up to reduce the clutter.

Not saying i think these over counter isolators are a great idea though. There are advantages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭beeceedeecee

The appliances are all going back in more or less the same positions so i dont see that ill need to change any electrics much , at the most single sockets will be switched to doubles , so no new wiring .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Steve wrote: »
    Would it satisfy the regs to have a nearby e-stop linked to a remote contactor to cut power to the whole lot?

Just genuinely curious.

unfortunately not,i discussed this with my inspector when isolators were introduced and it was knocked on the head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

meercat wrote: »
    unfortunately not,i discussed this with my inspector when isolators were introduced and it was knocked on the head

Was there any reason given as to why?

I know a fair bit about safety circuit design but never thought of it in terms of a domestic situation.

Steve wrote: »
    Was there any reason given as to why?

I know a fair bit about safety circuit design but never thought of it in terms of a domestic situation.

Its likely because the contactor is not deemed a proper isolation method. My own opinion would agree with that view.

It also came up here before with regard to showers, using a pull chord to operate a contactor at the board as isolation to remove the chance of switch burnout problems.

There is always the slight possibility of the contactor pulling in after em activation, or also not dropping out when the em stop is pressed if there is a short between the em stop feed and retuen, which would go unnoticed. Em stop desired operation depends on intact wiring to the em stop. The actual device (contactor) doing the switching is remote to the appliance.

They are used in commercial premises but for emergency de-energising rather than planned isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The appliances are all going back in more or less the same positions so i dont see that ill need to change any electrics much , at the most single sockets will be switched to doubles , so no new wiring .

This doesn't matter. And besides if the sockets are been changed from singles to doubles that means the sparks will be on site any ways. It's not a huge amount of extra work when he will already have the kangos etc on site

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭beeceedeecee

MrMac84 wrote: »
    This doesn't matter. And besides if the sockets are been changed from singles to doubles that means the sparks will be on site any ways. It's not a huge amount of extra work when he will already have the kangos etc on site

My concern isnt the cost , its the clutter of 7 extra switches on the wall , the design we have gone for is all very minimal and clean lines .
    Cheers for the advice folks .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Isolation switches are handy when you want to defrost an integrated freezer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

the switches don`t have to be above the units
    they have to be readily available for isolation (and labelled correctly)
    i have seen them mounted in an upper press in a kitchen

dolittle wrote: »
    the switches don`t have to be above the units
    they have to be readily available for isolation (and labelled correctly)
    i have seen them mounted in an upper press in a kitchen

Inside presses will eventually end up buried behind clutter. Nearly as inaccessible as the sockets themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I'd take it is a max 1200mm also, Must the isolator be within 2m of the appliance also? Is so that kinda rules out the grid switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I'd take it is a max 1200mm also, Must the isolator be within 2m of the appliance also? Is so that kinda rules out the grid switch.

Advertisement