Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bones to give to small dogs?

Options
  • 10-03-2017 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I like to give our dogs a bone as a treat once in a while, what bones would you suggest for small dogs, without any raw meat left on the bone, with a bit of marrowbone inside, not as huge as a postmans leg but then again something that will keep them occupied for an hour or so and no bones that are going to splinter as they eat them - available to get from a butchers or pet shop?

Thanks for your advice - suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

lamb ribs are good for small dogs. With or without the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lamb ribs are good for small dogs. With or without the meat.

thanks, do they splinter though? - and I presume they would finish them off in no time, I looking for a bone(s) that will keep them occupied for a while whilst they eat their way through them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thanks, do they splinter though? - and I presume they would finish them off in no time, I looking for a bone(s) that will keep them occupied for a while whilst they eat their way through them

Only time ever had any trouble caused by bones was lamb bones for my Bassett/JRT cross. They caused a blockage and terrible pain;vet was thankfully able to clear it under sedation without major surgery

They said because lamb bones are smaller and softer.

Never any issues with beef bones. And raw chicken, bones and all.

Someone here recently said never leg bones and never cooked. the postmens legs look cooked?

I like to give our dogs a bone as a treat once in a while, what bones would you suggest for small dogs, without any raw meat left on the bone, with a bit of marrowbone inside, not as huge as a postmans leg but then again something that will keep them occupied for an hour or so and no bones that are going to splinter as they eat them - available to get from a butchers or pet shop?

Thanks for your advice - suggestions.

Beef rib bones are great. Keeps them occupied for hours and cleans their teeth brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You shouldn't give any bones that are cooked. They also need to be size appropriate for the dog. That means for a small dog you ate pretty much limited to lamb ribs and chicken wings. I've never had any issues with lamb ribs for small dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Mine get whatever the butcher gives us, or venison bones/legs/head etc in the shooting season, and they'll eat anything! Having said that I tend to give the smaller bones to the terriers and the larger one to the ridgeback, spaniel and ovcharka, but the terriers always steal the big dogs bones!;). We'll often see the terriers waddling about with a bone bigger than themselves!! I don't think it really matters the size as long as they aren't cooked, the meatier the bone the more fun, exercise and grub for the dog!
    Ribs, shoulder blades and some of the leg bones in small lambs and deer are eaten completely and don't do any harm at all as they can digest them, I know they say not to give the weight bearing bones in cows to dogs but we've never had a problem as once they've stripped the meat off and sucked out the marrow they don't bother with them as they're too big to eat.

Ask your local butcher when you're next buying meat and they'll usually be more than happy to get rid of them!:). Don't get any from a pet shop as they'll be cooked and treated with chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Can imagine an ovcharka being bullied by a terrier into giving up his huge bone :D

Beef rib bones are great. Keeps them occupied for hours and cleans their teeth brilliantly.

Thanks, I will try them with Beef rib bones tomorrow I think and see how they get on, last time they had bones it didnt agree with them and they had squits and a bit of blood in their poop, but they were those big bones with uncooked meat on them, they loved them but as I say it upset them next day. They might be better with the beef rib bones, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks, I will try them with Beef rib bones tomorrow I think and see how they get on, last time they had bones it didnt agree with them and they had squits and a bit of blood in their poop, but they were those big bones with uncooked meat on them, they loved them but as I say it upset them next day. They might be better with the beef rib bones, we shall see.

Beef ribs are pretty meaty and pork doesn't agree with a lot of dogs so maybe go with lamb ribs instead.

Was remembering what was said after the blockage episode.. That lamb bones are still soft and developing ( think greenstick fractures in kids?) and that that was why. Was so lucky that time. She was in agony.

Wee dog is a food inhaler though.
    And
    she would carry a bone round and hide it for weeks.

I just got out of the habit of giving bones when collie died, And wee dog gets a good piece of raw chicken bone and all every day .

My old collie was a total bone addict. She would sit hours, bum in air, front paws holding the bone and the air would resound with the grinding. Then hide the bone and "find" it later. Before I rescued her she had never seen a bone.

I always went for eg the big beef bones. To gnaw rather then eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My two have lamb ribs and spine/neck once or twice a week and never any issues. I'd avoid shanks and shoulders because I've found them too brittle. Beef legs/marrows bones or anything weight bearing with the exception of chicken bones I avoid because they're either too brittle and splinter or they're too hard and risky for their teeth. A rack with a few ribs is great for cleaning their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two eat lamb ribs, the smaller one (Lhasa apso) loves them, they take about half-3/4 hour for her to finish, Oliver can finish one in half that time, never had any issues in 7 or 8 years.
    Chicken thighs are good too, or drumsticks, small dog loves those, I peel off skin as neither of them like it, and Tiffi has puked it up a couple of times.

wife went to butchers today and he didnt have beef ribs but he give her some lamb shoulder to try for the dog, they loved them - hope their guts are ok tomorrow. he is getting in some beef ribs Tuesday

Dealz do a great selection of dog bones that don't splinter. My fella gets great mileage out of em and they're cheap out

Dealz do a great selection of dog bones that don't splinter. My fella gets great mileage out of em and they're cheap out

thanks I will have a look - i wonder if they are cooked?

thanks I will have a look - i wonder if they are cooked?

I believe they are. And some of the ones I've gotten have a nice bit of meat still left on them. Definitely get my 1.49s worth out of it. Keeps the small fella quiet for an hour or two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Please don't give cooked bones

muddypaws wrote: »

yeah that is what i heard too, that sort of makes me wary of buying from some pet shops, also heard that you know the rawhide boots and bones you get from cheap shops are made with some kind of glue :(

Ive yet to have an issue with any splintering from these cooked bones and himself enjoyed them just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Interesting to hear people give chicken bones to dogs. I was always told by my parents that dogs can choke on the small wing bones. Are they safe to give to Basset hounds?

• Advertisement

Livefornow wrote: »
    Interesting to hear people give chicken bones to dogs. I was always told by my parents that dogs can choke on the small wing bones. Are they safe to give to Basset hounds?

Tbh a dog can choke on anything, same as us. The issue is when the bone splinters and that can cause a whole host issues. I'd be inclined to hold tough on feeding him chicken bones if you're unsure about it. Plenty of other things he can munch on

Livefornow wrote: »

I thought chicken bones splinter too - i wouldnt fancy giving them to mine, although once when i turned my back they were up at the table after i finished some drumsticks and scoffed them too quick, before i could catch them -

I thought chicken bones splinter too - i wouldnt fancy giving them to mine, although once when i turned my back they were up at the table after i finished some drumsticks and scoffed them too quick, before i could catch them -

Not raw. Cooked is not good though.

Each to his own really.. I have my ways based on good teaching and on experience. And am happy with that.

And we all avoid what has done damage once. As I do re my Bassett /jrt cross.

Would not risk lamb bones again.. ever. And they are not essential so that is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

yeah that is what i heard too, that sort of makes me wary of buying from some pet shops, also heard that you know the rawhide boots and bones you get from cheap shops are made with some kind of glue :(
    Rawhide is one of the worst things you can feed your dog.
    See for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc265q0ZRss

Advertisement